Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading in here somewhere that the RDS is supposed to be disbled. For those of you who don't know what RDS is: RDS is a special signal that is broadcasted from a radio station to tell your radio the name of the station, the song title that's playing or, special announcements. Mine works fine. I love this function. I'm glad it works :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
MIne works fine too, just not many stations in my area that broadcast the info. I have also seen the "MSG" function work as well, but only when the car is stopped.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine used to tell a lot of radio song titles, etc here in Southern California. Now (after the repairs I had done which unplugged the battery apparently...) I barely get the station name... Is there some kind of on/off option where I perhaps need to re-enable this feature?

·
Registered
18 Posts
RDS does not work in my 2004 Prius. I called the Toyota support line in the owner's manual and they told me that the feature is only available in Canada, not the U.S. Funny that some U.S. owners have this feature. Wish I did. :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kindof funny.. usualy i would expect the dealers to give shaky info. I have not ever tried the toyota hotline as you mentioned. I live in San Jose, California. My RDS works very well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My RDS works, and I got mine less than a month ago in Southern California. Could it be that you're not listening to stations the broadcast RDS signals? Most of the stations I listen to (NPR stations) just broadcast their station name, but not song names. I thought this feature is disabled when the car is in motion, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're on the audio screen, it will still scroll the message across the top. If your stopped, you can just press the MSG button.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
RDS works in the US, but it depends if you have any radio stations in your area that are broadcasting an RDS signal.

It'll only work if you tell it to do an RDS search. Then, you'll end up with the added FM screen of FMType. This is where the RDS stations it found in your area are sorted into general categories (talk, rock, jazz, country, etc.). What info you get from a particular station depends on what the station does. Some only list their call letters or nickname with the station number (101.9 = B101, 89.7 = WGBH for Boston MA area). Some stations will put the current song title in the place of the call letters. Some will send an optional message (only viewable below 5mph), which could be another station ID, the current song/artist, the upcoming song/artist, or some advertisement, whatever the individual station wants.

What does not work on the 2004 Prius is the ASL and DSP functions.
http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-misc.html#manualerr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts