Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading hundreds of complaints, unsafistactions, wanted additions, preliminary ideas for 2006 and 2007 future models by Prius Online Participants, I arrived to the conclusion that the 2005 Prius is obsolete already with just been 6 months old with the most advance technology.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Hmm, should I respond, or not? Well, I guess I'm committed already.

Vehicle obsolescence is a reality that happens to every vehicle owner every time they purchase a vehicle. The next model year something will change, or improve. That is how car companies continue to entice folks into buying new vehicles, is by keeping platforms evolving. That is just logic. If it weren't for the progressive activity of vehicle designers, we would probably still be driving Model Ts and not know the difference.

It isn't in human nature to sit on your haunches and not improve or evolve. So, that means that this year's model year vehicles will be "obsolete" when the next model year comes out, or in a couple of model years when a redesign occurs. That is just how it goes. I've never been bothered by the ebb and flow of vehicle design changes. I know that when a vehicle wears out and no longer serves me properly, I will go out into the market and purchase something new that will be improved over my previous vehicle, however, I'm not going to stress now about any so called "obsolescence" of the vehicle I am driving currently.

Is the Prius obsolete? No, and not for a long time to come considering that Hybrids are not the rule, but the exception with regard to propulsive technology available in most vehicles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess what!!!

Still the next model (2006) is not out. So your statements are out of subject and/or without primary logic. What I said clearly was:

The Prius 2005 is obsolete already without having the 2006 version out been 6 months old only.

If you dont understand that I will figure it out after your next comment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Guess what!!!

rmarchena said:
S. What I said clearly was:

The Prius 2005 is obsolete already without having the 2006 version out been 6 months old only.

That's not even a correct English sentence. You might want to write more clearly if you don't want to be misunderstood.

·
Registered
548 Posts
hyperion said:
The 04/05 will only be considered obsolete if the 06 hit's the dealerships with a full set of instruments. I would then have something to trade for!
Something more like an automobile.
I will certainly get on the list if the information becomes available.
I think this fall is going to be an interesting one in the hybrid arena. There are a few new sedan choices, and they're 4 cylinder hybrids with... wait for it... instrument panels and comfortable seats.

I will be taking some test drives for sure this fall... and who knows... the Prius is paid off. :) Something could charm me with a lack of spine twisting torture and a trade in could be in my future.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You dont see reality

Even with broken English the Prius's obsolence concept is been understood. Other manufacturers are not sleeping about how to make a better hybrid. The Prius has to be improved (Review topics in this forum).

I think Toyota Motors Co. will do a lot of changes to future hybrids to stay in competition. Better and different batteries, better electrical regeneration, better and durable interior finish, better and more extensive instrumentation, better transmission and handeling, etc., will be the aspects to see.

I have a Prius 2005 Pkg 6 and that does not mean that I can not see how obsolete is when I read the posts that you do about things that has to be done about the Prius using a perfect english that I do not have.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
obsolete

adj 1: old; no longer in use or valid or fashionable

1)If a less than 2 year old design is old, then yes, it is obsolete.
2)It's clearly still in use.
3)I guess it's your own opinion whether it's valid, but I certainly think the Prius is valid.
4)Fashionable--purely subjective, but judging by continuing record sales I'd say it's still fashionable.

No manufacturer has yet eclipsed Toyota's design. Toyota has improved on the technology of the Prius in the HiHy--so by that standard I guess you could say the Prius is outmoded, but certainly not obsolete.

I can promise you that the next incarnation of the Prius will surpass anything any other manufacturer will produce b/w now and then.

The fact that the Prius is not the perfect vehicle in all aspects for every person or that it has some design flaws and occasional mechanical problems does not render it obsolete. If that were the only standard to define a car as obsolete then there wouldn't be a single car on the road.

Can the current car keep pace with current technology..no way...neither can it with digital cameras, computers, or a multitude of technologically complex machines. The technology is simply progressing too quickly. When you put a product to market you have to design it with the best currently available technology. It would have been nice if the 2004 Prius had been built with 2007 technology, but clearly that can't happen.

It's also impossible to meet every single consumer desire in low priced car. You want luxery accoutraments then buy a luxery car. You knew how the Prius was equipt when you bought it, if you're not happy with that now don't blame Toyota, blame yourself for your poor decision.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Omg it's obsolete! The computers will fail and the metal will turn to rust! :roll:

For goodness sake, are you one of those who buy/lease a new car every year? or one that isn't happy with what you have, no matter what it is?

It's kinda obvious Toyota will improve the Prius to stay competitive. There's no need to state the obvious.

If we're supposed to believe your logic, then technically, all cars except the RX400h and Highlander Hybrid are "obsolete" cause they're not using the latest in hybrid technology.

Is a Corolla obsolete because it has features such as power windows that were only on luxury cars 12 years ago?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Improve the Prius to stay competitive???? With what???? there really is no other and if the 06 just has seats ect: that is definately not worth trading cars for. A new instrument panel would even warrant a sizeable price rise and would be worth exchanging cars for. You might even find an "ev" switch installed at the factory. The wait is still because of the production quantities and the total lack of anything else. The rest of the newbies mentioned are way out of the Prius price range except for possibly the Camry which my dealer has been told nothing about and it's almost August!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm confused about your comment on the transmission. Why would you need to upgrade that?

Also, why don't you backtrack and test drive a new 26,000 car other than a Prius. You will find that the Prius is not as "obsolete" as you think it is.

Just because there are "hundreds" of posts "complaining" about a small issue here and there (and usually the same issue) does not mean a car is obsolete.

I think you mean that the 2004/05 Prius design is already become out of phase because the 06 model is changing in appearance (and.. minor changes at that).

Why don't you think of this in a different way? In my opinion most of your threads are all very negative. Why don't you think that your Prius has now become UNIQUE as it has only been in production for 2 years? Plus, next years model wont be quite as different as you think it will be..

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: the prius is obsolete

ElectricTroy said:
This topic is dumb.

troy
:lol:
Tell us what you really think Troy!
You are officially Captain of the Dumb Police. Perhaps you could devise a dumbness scale that runs from A to 10. :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Your initial post was very much based on the upcoming 2006, which is still about 2-4 months off. The 2005 has been out for much more than 6 months, I believe you should learn counting along with your English. How long have you been living in the Bronx?

If you hate the car so much, sell it! You'll see how obsolete it is when you have no trouble finding a buyer.

All you ever do is bash the car and us, and do it poorly.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: the prius is obsolete

ElectricTroy said:
This topic is dumb.

troy
Now I wouldn't say the topic is dumb... Had the topic started off with a description of some revolutionary new engine design, or some mystical formula for creating crude oil from thin air (yes, it has to be thin air, as thick air is too volitile) Then this topic could have started an enlightented discussion on the future of the automotive and oil producing industries.

Instead we're once again playing troll/counter-troll.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The reason I said the topic is dumb, is because the car is not "obsolete" so long as the owner finds a use for it.

I've got an old 80's car I inherited from my mom. Yeah, it's ~25 years old, but it still runs, and it's only got 40,000 miles on it. It's nowhere near obsolete.

Neither is the Prius.

troy

1 - 20 of 51 Posts