Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..

I heard that celebrities own the 2004 Prius.. Is this true? Has anyone heard about this? If so, please state who they are.. Im just curious to hear it.. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tim Robbins definitely has one. He would've had 2, but the dealer wouldn't move him to the top of the wait list the 2nd time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not important that celebrities own Prius. I would be more impressive if they use it as thier regular car, rather than driving it only to special events.

What is important is what car review publications like Motor trend have to say about the Prius. The big reason to buy a Prius is because you want one. Not because some celebrities owns one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
true, but

A celebrity can get the hybrid word out to more uninformed folk than you or I will ever hope to do, and I don't know many uninformed folk who read Motor Trend. I still get people asking me where I plug it in.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I dunno...I work with, speak with, and meet dozens and potentially hundreds of people each week.

They all know what I'm buying. And they're all curious!

Well, those that are paying attention, anyhow. The ones who don't pay attention to you when you say "50 to 60 miles per gallon" and "you put 87 octane in it" are the ones who then ask you "where do you plug it in?"

D'oh!

·
Registered
515 Posts
> A celebrity can get the hybrid word out to more uninformed folk than you or I will ever hope to do

[humble mode: off]

Cool, that means I'm a celebrity!

Actually, I am. I did yet another Prius interview & photo-shoot today. (Look for it in the St. Paul Pioneer Press). I've become used to photographers shoving lens in my face as I talk and reporters writing down and recording everything I say. It was a bit unnerving at first. But now, it's fun! The photos today included a bunch of motion shots. And the reporter allowed me to share everything I wanted to point out.

I'm doing an Earth Day presentation on Friday for some high school students. The principle has identified me as the local expert in the field of hybrids. Sweet! I love opportunities to point our youth in the right direction.

My website gets a ton of attention too, an "online" Hollywood. It's filled with lots of real-world stuff, no marketing fluff. That's what people really want. So I able truly appreciative to those that have contributed to that and helped spread the word about it.

[humble mode: on]

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tom Hanks has a Black BC '04.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Celebrities also have hummers, rolls, land rovers etc that get awful mileage. I'll get excited should they ever sell (or give away) those gas hogs and drive only hybrids.

2004 silver 6

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
H2 is so big, why can't they put a mongo electric motor in there and make a really interesting vehicle?

Oh yeah, I forgot....because GM is involved.

D'oh!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Star watching

Bill Maher says he has a Prius, and the NY Times Circuits columnist David Pogue just got one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whether Celebrities have this car or not? I was just wondering exactly who has them.. Nothing more.. Nothing Less.. Thats all! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Toyota UK website lists the following famous owners of the Prius 2004:

Ed Begley, Jr.
Jackson Browne
Steven Collins
Ted Danson
Larry David
Cameron Diaz
Leonardo DiCAprio
Jeff Goldblum
Richard Kline
Donna Mills
Alexandra Paul

Cheers
Quicksilva

·
Registered
10 Posts
I forgot which magazine I got this from. Us Weekly, I think...

In addition to those already mentioned, there are Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. (And I think Jack Black) There was also a picture of Brad Pitt and Jennifer sitting in their new Prius.

I agree that it's more important that the car is safe and reliable, not that a lot of celebrities have them. But does the fact that celebrities drive them make it cooler? YES.
I don't care if my favorite celebrity drives a Prius. But I do care that they show it to others. Unfortunately (though fortunate in this case), our society puts our celebrities up on a high pedestal. When they show that they drive a Prius instead of some other environmentally unfriendly vehicle, they're making a statement to everybody that sees it. That's what makes the public think about their driving habits. That makes them log onto Prius.com to research why the car is so popular. The new information makes them want to purchase a Prius and helps save our planet's resources.
It's publicity, yes. That's what the Prius needs. Although I don't have one yet, I am glad that there are waiting lists for this thing. I'm glad the demand is high.

So far, I've heard and read of Camerzon Diaz and Charlize Theron being the ones so adamant about driving a Prius. They do take it everywhere. I also heard Cameron owns a few of them.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Advance apologies for getting off-topic, but I really can't hold it in any longer. Please forgive me!

Am I the only one who feels actual distrust of Hollywood? My perception out here in the heartland is that there's an awful lot of hypocrisy and corruption in that town.

Maybe I'm revealing some of my own personal bias here...but what the hell, you folks all seem very nice and understanding. So for better or for worse, I will readily admit my own bias.

After all, look at some of the "mental junk food" being pushed on us by the television, movie, and music industries. Okay, maybe it's from Hollywood; some from LA or New York or other places...to me, it might as well all be Hollywood. "Mental health food" is ever more difficult to find.

And PBS and NPR are still boring! To me, anyhow.

I guess I'm lucky that I decided I wanted a Prius because I actually researched the car, and decided that I wanted it...yeah, in spite of famous people owning the car. If I had been less objective, I might have changed my mind when I learned that "famous people" like Bill Maher and Ted Danson owned or maybe just hypocritically arrived to the awards shows in somebody else's Prius (comeon, you know it happened, with at least some of these poeple).

Heh heh, now I feel all filthy and in need of a long, hot, soapy shower! Thanks for letting me vent! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am glad that Cameron Diaz owns a Prius, but having several doesn't really paint a good image of "saving resources".
I guess a celeb having 5 Prii is better than a celeb having 5 H2's (a la Schwarzenegger)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Add Alicia Silverstone to the celeb' owner list. The silver package #9 I wanted to purchase that was sitting on the back lot at Carson Toyota in So Cal was already sold and about to be delivered to Alicia. That was last December.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dustin Hoffman has a black 2004 Prius

I work in the same neighborhood Dustin Hoffman lives in and I saw him driving one day. As sad as it is, people want to do what celebrities do; so I think it's good that celebrities are setting a good example by driving a Prius when they could afford something much more expensive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts