Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start this with a little background....

I have owned my Prius for 6 months and I love it. I primarily bought the car for the incredible gas mileage as I drive 55 miles 1-way to work. But right now my wife is pregnant with our 5th child and our minivan just died, :( so I find myself looking at buying an Excursion :shock: as my wife’s vehicle (maybe 100 miles a week) as I need something to fit the entire family and have the cargo space I need to haul groceries and baby paraphernalia. I also do not want to buy another minivan because if we have another baby after this one we would be stuck. :? I am looking at a 2000 model now and I am trying to picture the beast next to the Prius in the driveway :!:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Sounds to me like you have thought everything out fairly well. My personal thoughts though after going through the same would lean towards another mini-van. Hard to beat that comfort and room, and I've had a pair parked along side each other for a couple years. They haven't fought yet! If we are driving ten miles theres no question which vehicle goes. Now 55 would be a different matter.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Couldn't you just order an 8-pass minivan? The Sienna offers 8 passenger seat, so does the Odyssey. I'm not sure if GM minivans offer in their newest models but the older Montanas definitely had 8 passenger seating.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tideland Prius said:
Couldn't you just order an 8-pass minivan? The Sienna offers 8 passenger seat, so does the Odyssey. I'm not sure if GM minivans offer in their newest models but the older Montanas definitely had 8 passenger seating.
I looked into the sienna and it has myabe 12 inches of space behind theback seats and that is not enough to put a double stroller in. :cry:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
And every Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth made has the seats However they really are 7 passenger as far as adults go. But that's probably what is being replaced. The Dodge Gran Caravan definately has the room.
It really isn't absolutely necessary to buy Japanese. You probably have some neighbors or friends that swear by the American product.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sounds a little late for that, at least for this one.

Anyway, if this is your only child, you should be fine with the Prius. Efusco has managed to put 3 child seats in the back.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hyperion said:
And every Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth made has the seats However they really are 7 passenger as far as adults go. But that's probably what is being replaced. The Dodge Gran Caravan definately has the room.
It really isn't absolutely necessary to buy Japanese. You probably have some neighbors or friends that swear by the American product.
I have looked at the dodge caravan but they have MAJOR transmission problems and I also would like a minimum seating capacity of 8 because we are about to be a family of 7 :shock:

·
Registered
393 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
TJandGENESIS said:
My brother has the Ford ESCAPE hybrid, and is happy with the space in that. Why not get one of those?
I would only if it were legal to strap car seats to the roof :lol: jk
Too bad, since I bet at least two kids would love it. I would have, when I was a wee lad.

:lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TJandGENESIS said:
iggy1iggy said:
TJandGENESIS said:
My brother has the Ford ESCAPE hybrid, and is happy with the space in that. Why not get one of those?
I would only if it were legal to strap car seats to the roof :lol: jk
Too bad, since I bet at least two kids would love it. I would have, when I was a wee lad.

:lol:
I can picture my 2 eldest sons in goggles and flight jackets :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds as if you're one of the few who has a legitimate need for a Suburban type vehicle. There are some real bargains out there now for these.

And don't forget the Suburban is built as a truck and will outlast several minivans which are basically modified passenger cars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DaveT said:
Sounds as if you're one of the few who has a legitimate need for a Suburban type vehicle. There are some real bargains out there now for these.

And don't forget the Suburban is built as a truck and will outlast several minivans which are basically modified passenger cars.
I have done extensive research into suburbans and I have found them to be cheaply manufactured with common parts failing at similar mileage intervals on several vehicles.(intake manifold gaskets tend to give out at 50k miles on the 350's) It seams that they are built with planned obsolescence in mind. This is on 2000 models and newer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not my experience nor the several friends who own and use them. Several over 200k miles with only replacement of expected items -- starter, alternator, a/c compressor.....

Although my b-i-l has a 2003 Chev 3/4t diesel truck which he uses as a ranch truck (I mean really uses towing and hauling) and has had a greater than expected number of failures.

As the wise dude said "the truth is usually somewhere in the middle".

·
Registered
884 Posts
Consumer Reports April Auto Issue

Check out the Consumer Reports, April 2006, annual auto issue. You should be able to find something that fits your budget and your needs. Be sure to check out the reliability ratings and financing sections, too. They also list good used cars.

·
Registered
269 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
Let me start this with a little background....

I have owned my Prius for 6 months and I love it. I primarily bought the car for the incredible gas mileage as I drive 55 miles 1-way to work. But right now my wife is pregnant with our 5th child and our minivan just died, :( so I find myself looking at buying an Excursion :shock: as my wife’s vehicle (maybe 100 miles a week) as I need something to fit the entire family and have the cargo space I need to haul groceries and baby paraphernalia. I also do not want to buy another minivan because if we have another baby after this one we would be stuck. :? I am looking at a 2000 model now and I am trying to picture the beast next to the Prius in the driveway :!:
Talk about SUVs....your going to need a bus!

You have a small herd there.....you must be loaded!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Solution #1:

How about a short-term lease of a minivan to wait until Toyota electrifies the Sienna? We have a 2003 as our "other" car and it gets 25 mpg. Maybe a used tank-car if your wife only needs it for 100 miles/week.

Solution #2:

Don't plan to have any more kids, then you'll feel more comfortable buying another minivan (?). Have you thought at all about peak oil ramifications on our society??? I know it's none of my business but we all have an obligation to think about the future.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.