Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on what options are worth the money!

I'm really starting to think the #6 is really over-priced.....!

- HID's
- Stability Control (what is this really?)
- Fog Lamps
- Nav w/ blue-tooth

= $2,87500 (when comparing against #5)

I really think I could possibly live without most of this!

I want...
-All Airbags
-Self Dimming Mirror with Homelink (which I found on Ebay for $190)

The rest seems little decadent!
How is the regular CD Player?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Vehicle Stability Control is Toyota's next gen (well just before the new VDIM) yaw control sensor (The previous gen being Vehicle Skid Control).

Basically, there are sensors that detect yaw movement and retard the throttle and/or apply the necessary brakes individually to maintain control of the vehicle and "prevent" a possible loss of control. "prevent" because it's not invincible and cannot defy the Law of Inertia.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
bshef said:
I'm looking for opinions on what options are worth the money!

I'm really starting to think the #6 is really over-priced.....!

- HID's
- Stability Control (what is this really?)
- Fog Lamps
- Nav w/ blue-tooth

= $2,87500 (when comparing against #5)

I really think I could possibly live without most of this!

I want...
-All Airbags
-Self Dimming Mirror with Homelink (which I found on Ebay for $190)

The rest seems little decadent!

Thanks!
No it _does_not warrant the xtra-moola-backsheesh- to most people, just
get the BI #3 and add the N1=AutoDimmingMirror. Stop talking about getting the Prius-just drive one home.
About time for you to be enjoying
the ownership status of this nobel-marvel high-tech-ridden PRIUS.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety did a study on Vehicle Stablity Control:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/news_relea ... 102804.htm

The Cliff Notes version: You have a 34 percent reduced chance of dying in a car with VSC compared to one without it. There's a similar, but less pronounced, reduction in overall accidents. For me it was worth the cost, though I went with package #4 instead of #6 because I didn't want the navigation system.

·
Registered
420 Posts
bshef said:
My wife and I were used to nothing, so it's fine. But frankly, we basically only use it in town; on the highway there's a bit too much road noise to enjoy the sound system. I think this is an issue of soundproofing and tire pressure (we have the standard 42/40, which may increase the noise a bit), so I doubt the upgraded sound system would really address it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I do not think the extra cost was out of line - typical navigation system (factory) is around 2K, HID kits to upgrade are around $400 so that leaves the remainder at about $400. To me it was worth it as I use the navigation regularly, also for resale having a loaded car is easier to sell than one that is not. Regardless, I just love my Prius-

·
Registered
41 Posts
Personally, I think it's really hard to choose the right package, and the decision is ultimately a personal one.

Here are some thoughts based on my experiences:

I have an 05 Tideland Pearl Prius, and love the car!
I got it with #5 package.

The JBL stereo is a huge disappointment. In my view it cannot even hold water to most stock stereos in other cars. My pre-Prius car was an 03 MINI Cooper S. For $550 I got the Harman Kardon premium sound system, and it absolutely rocked!
JBL: absolutely not worth even a single $!

I could easily live without the alarm.
Probably not worth the extra cost!

The auto dim mirror is great, but as you pointed out, you can get them aftermarket.
Worth some money, but not the cost of the package.

I still don't like the Smart Key System. Mostly, because it's not as smart as it could be. If it could recognize when I leave the car, and lock the car automatically it would be worth it, but otherwise I would be just as happy with a remote control FOB.
IMHO not worth the money as is.

Side /head airbargs: most definitely worth the money!
You can get them on their own as package #1.

I now wish I had chosen a different package, but still not sure which:

I am not sure about VSC.
I had the MINI equivalent in my MCS (called DSC), and it did kick in a single time during my 2 years, 45,000 miles. Maybe it saved my bacon at that time, I don't know. The MINI handled so well I felt like I did not need it. The Prius drives nicely, but handling can't compare to a car like the MINI, and so VSC may become more important.

I had Xenon headlights on the MINI, and don't have them on my Prius. Surprisingly, I don't miss them, and I think the halogens on my Prius give ample light. The Xenon's are brighter, but have a much sharper cutoff, which made me readjust the auto-leveling feauture on the MCS quite often, as they were frequently aimed either just a little too high, or a little too low. Halogens are not as finnicky in that respect.

My MCS also had front fog lights, I think they are just a fad and essentially useless, and would guess the same to be true on the Prius. I think I might add my own aftermarket foglights at some point.

With respect to NAV I always felt if you really need it you could get an aftermarket NAV system for 1/3 of the price, and use it for other purposes such as in rental cars etc...

Ultimately, I wish Toyota would move beyond packages, and allow buyers to custom select package components, just like MINI does.

If that were an option, I would get and only get:

Side airbags
VSC
Auto dim mirror

My 2c worth.
M

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2c worth.
M
OMG......all that for 2 cents? Excellent!
This phrase draws an analogy to the poker ante (two bits) and gains your entry into the conversation.
Two bits means one quarter. This comes from the older term "piece of eight".
Coins could be split into halfs, quarters, and eighths. One eighth of a coin was called a "piece of eight" and also called a "bit". Two pieces of eight is equal to one quarter. Hence "two bits" is a quarter.

Most dealers are only carrying the fully loaded packages in my area. This could lead to more bargaining power for me on a fully loaded model, but I really don't want all their over-priced options like I stated in my original post.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I agree with MGTB's well thought assessments except for "smart key." I've been driving my 2004 for a year now and except for the synergy system I think smart key is the best thing Toyota has come up with and expect you will not only be seeing it in the new Lexas but expanded into the Camry. I'de give up my elecrtic windows for it and I've felt for over fifty years that they have been next to the wheel a necessity in a car.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Good thing about the "upgraded" JBL system: you get a cassette player, which is great if you are a books on tape person, or you want to connect in an aux. audio device like an iPod.

The alarm can be added to any package that doesn't already have it installed. Good thing is that it's worth a discount on most auto insurance policies, over and above the standard engine immobilizer. (This is only 2004+ Prius info. Alarm and engine immobilizer were standard on Classic Prius.)

The auto-dimming homelink mirror can be added to any package that didn't already come with it. If it comes in the package, make sure that your dealer doesn't try to charge you for it as an added accessory too, as some have been reported to do.

Just remember, you cannot add the side air bags, the VSC, the HID headlights (which have added sensors to lower their height if you add too much weight to the rear of the car), the navigation/bluetooth phone capability, or SE&SS/SKS afterwards - they have to come from the factory that way.
(Yes, I know you could get an aftermarket non-integrated navigation system, but that's not the same...)
So, beware buyer's regret if you would want these things...

As for what's worth it, that's a personal decision. Personally, I'd only look at option packages AM or BC, as they are the only ones with the added air bags and VSC, but that's just me. I'd love to add the navigation, because I find it useful, but it's up to you if it's worth the cost. (have it on my husband's 2004 BC, but it wasn't available for my 2001 (although all the buttons are there and my dealer claimed that it could be added later... <grr>)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
This answer won't help you, but there is no yes/no answer. Your priorities (including for non-car use of the money) will answer it for you. For example, I drive at night part of the year, and the HIDs help with my poor night vision. As small as the car is, I insisted on the airbag set. I wanted a better stereo, and although the change and cassette are nice, the sound quality was a disappointment. The Nav is a toy for me, but a useful toy in suburban traffic and for trips to new towns. The deciding factor was the immediate availablility at the time my old ride was flaking out on me, so I chose the big package. You can see these are all very personal choices and issues; abnd as they say, "your mileage may vary."

No regrets for me, but if someone had a different set of priorities they would also be perfectly happy with the other packages. The basic car is an awesomely fun way to drive, even without extra options.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
FYI, all versions of the Prius are equipped with alarm, just that on some packages, it is deliberately disabled by Toyota. I am quite suprised and disappointed with Toyota for pulling that stunt. If you get GBS (Glass Breakage Sensor), then they have to turn the alarm on. It's the DOR option, or something like that in the security section of options. Got that from a Toyota tech. It isn't publicly documented, unless you get the RS3200 option. Again, all that comes with is a GBS sensor and instructions to activate the alarm feature on, and the GBS sensing on.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It is NOT up to you! I will make the decision. Get the AM package, and add the mirror. There. Now don't you feel better? :wink:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the HID lights.
I have not used a auto dimming mirror but I have been very happy with my manual dimming mirror.
Recently, I read in a car magazine that the Vehicle Stability Controls actually help save lives (as opposed to anti-lock brakes, which don't increase your odds of staying alive). This was mentioned in a previous post on this thread.
I like the smart key.

I also like the EV mode and mudflaps from Coastal.

Roger

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PER Diane at Carson Toyota CA.......
"Southern Calif Dealers only get packages 1, 3 and 6."

She also told me "ALL" Prius from the factory come with the Bumper protector. Then she mentioned that they (the dealer) install the alarms on all their Prius.

Guess Carson is not getting my business!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
They don't install them, they turn them on. Only installable thing about the alarm is GBS.
Truthfully, it was bad on Toyota's part to disable the alarm on some packages.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They don't install them, they turn them on
That's exactly what I remember you writing about in another thread.........!
When I heard her mention this........I immediatley thought....."NEXT DEALERSHIP"!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts