Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's disappointing that none of these adapters (iPod2Car, IceLink, etc.) supports showing track title/artist/album info on the Multi-Display... since they pretend they're a CD-changer when communicating with the factory stereo, and the Toyota CD-changer (supposedly) supports using the CD-TEXT standard to display this information, it ought to be possible. Kinda sucks to be squinting at the little iPod screen when you've got this big spiffy color screen on the dash...

·
Registered
26 Posts
CD-text support

Actually, the CD changer doesn't support CD-text. The only thing that does is the "standard" in-dash, single-disc CD player.
and BTW, I've been able to successfully burn as CD-text CD and view the text on the screen. Yay!

·
Registered
59 Posts
lensovet,

The CD changer DOES support CD-text. I just confirmed it now. I burned an audio CD in Toast (6.07) with Mac OS 10.3.5 with the CD-text option checked. My CD name and the name of the tracks does show up. I'm talking about the changer that comes with the factory option packages. I don't know about the dealer add-on changer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh...

stevesol said:
lensovet,

The CD changer DOES support CD-text. I just confirmed it now. I burned an audio CD in Toast (6.07) with Mac OS 10.3.5 with the CD-text option checked. My CD name and the name of the tracks does show up. I'm talking about the changer that comes with the factory option packages. I don't know about the dealer add-on changer.
Sorry......my bad. It's just that I couldn't think of a spot where it would be, because the screen is taken up by the disc selector buttons. Could you attach a picture of the screen w/the text please? Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
lensovet,

On my package #9 2004, there are two audio screens. The first, which shows all the disk selector suttons, has a button on the left for CD-text. When you push this button, it changes to the second audio screen. The disk selection buttons are no longer there. In their place is a window for the CD text, showing the name of the CD and the name of the track. To go back to the other screen with the disk selector buttons, you have to hit a button to turn off CD text.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stevesol:
We are the ones that made the ipod2car....
And we want to make the CD TEXT work. Do you know what is the part number of your external CD changer that supports CD Text? It must be external, and not an internal build in the radio CD Changer.

Best regards,

Jimmy

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's built into the dashboard near the power switch, volume knob, etc. It uses the multifunction tactile display.

The ADD-ON external changer fits in the small compartment BELOW the built in radio for those who want to add a changer later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the Changer? It is very important, as we want to make iPod to Toyota with CD Text, and all external Toyota Cd Changers have no CD Text feature. Only the build in the radio CD Changers do have the CD text option, but they don't output to the outisde world the CD TEXT packets.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the ipod2car works in cars with the upgraded radio (in-dash changer)?

2005 Prius, package #6 (BC)

I'm worried the upgraded radio with a built-in changer would omit connectors for an external changer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have hooked up the IPodCar2 in my '05 Pkg #6 Prius w/ the in-dash CD changer. It plays and I can change volume and the tracks up and down from the steering wheel, but there is a problem. I have only been able to get the CD changer to work by powering the iPod off and then powering the Prius off. Upon powering the Prius back up, the CD changer works, but I cannot just switch the mode from the iPod to the changer. So it is not great news, but at least the CD changer is not rendered completely useless like others suspected. The good thing, I suppose, is that I have all my CD collection on my iPod and I rarely use my CD player. I would greatly prefer for it to be correct, so perhaps there will be a fix for this sometime soon. I do not think I am doing anything wrong, but I guess it is possible.

timmyd :?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installation

Timmyd, how did you go about installing the adapter?

I just got my adapter today, and I am at a loss on how to get behind the CD player. Also, is there a way to get the cable to the glove compartment? I would love to leave the IPOD in there.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
dolyd,

If you go here: http://www.chrisdragon.com/prius/ you will find EXCELLENT step by step, illustrated instructions for adding audio accessories to the Prius head unit. The author saved me a good bit of money by enabling me to do it myself. I have not installed any electronics myself before in any of my cars, so I was not completely sure how to do it. This made it not only possible, but also very easy.

And if I remember correctly, it should be no problem routing the iPod to the lower glove compartment. I cannot say this for sure, since I routed mine just below the compartment beneath the head unit, and I didn't pay really close attention to the access in the back of the glove compartment.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help you out in any way.

timmyd :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts