Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought my 2006 yesterday. I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to connect my Nano. If possible I'd like to achieve the following in order of importance:

Use the controls on the steering wheel

Easy installation (or good directions)

See the song names on the Prius screen

Charge the Nano

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
stay left said:
Hello all,

I just bought my 2006 yesterday. I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to connect my Nano. If possible I'd like to achieve the following in order of importance:

Use the controls on the steering wheel

Easy installation (or good directions)

See the song names on the Prius screen

Charge the Nano

Thanks!
None of what you want can be done through the AUX jack. If you want steering wheel control and song names on touchscreen, you have to go third party. Many people like the system sold at vaistech.com

Ken

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. Now that I see the hardware and installation, maybe I'll wait for the bluetooth iPOD.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
But what would you use for the other end of the bluetooth? Remember the car's bluetooth is for connecting a cellphone. Sound comes only from one speaker, so it is mono, and of speech grade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
? for DanMan32

Oh man, you mean bluetooth won't "just work" and go through the stereo... Ok if that's the case, DanMan, do you use either vaistech or icelink? Can you recommend one?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research on this, and it seems to me the Vaistech is the best out there right now.

Personally, I'm waiting until a better interface comes out. The main problem I have with the Vaistech and the other interfaces is that you can only select songs according to playlist....not artist, album, or genre. I don't use playlists because I have over 10000 songs. I strictly select my music either by artist or genre.

Eventually, one will come out that will be exactly what I want. The one costaletech.com is developing seems to be the one I'll get, but he's been working on it for over a year and no one seems to know when it'll be released. Until then, I'll just use the AUX port on my new 2006.

With a Nano, you have a smaller amount of songs, and if you can live with selecting songs via a playlist (limited to 99 songs), then Vaistech is the one I'd go for. It gives you steering wheel control, touch screen functionality, and charges your Ipod.

Hope this helps.

Ken

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ken. I called the sales department at Vaistech and they told me their version of the SoundLinQ (SLI) updated for the 2006 Prius with text capabilities will be available soon. He stated they had hoped for January to early February. He also said the installation on the Prius was "easy." I hope that's true.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention that I like play lists. I have time on my hands and not that many songs so I make mixes for the drive home, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Stay Left:

I have a Harman Kardon Drive + Play installed in my '06 Super White. I installed it myself and I thought it was pretty easy. It works great for me. I am attaching a stitched photos of how mine was set up.

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts