Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is an adaptor for an Ipod that plugs into the Aux plug inside the console/
It is next to the 12V outlet on the inside/front of the armrest/console on my 2007 Touring Edition Package #3.
I would like to be able to play my Ipod thru the audio system without one of those blasted Monster Cable FM transmitters....

Thanks

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Go to Radio Shack or any other electronic supply center and get a stereo patch cord with 1/8" male connectors on both ends. One end plugs into the socket you mentioned, the other end plugs into the IPod headphone socket, or Line Out if the IPod has such a socket. Adjust IPod volume appropriately for distortion free sound. If you use the Line Out (if it exists), then the volume control won't affect anything.
The Aux connector does not provide control of the IPod. For that you need the DICE or VAIS adapter that plugs into the back of the head unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan,
I was aware of the Dice and Vais adapters....just didn't want to get that involved at this point. Just want to be able to play some tunes with out one of those damned RF adapters.
If I still have to tune with the Ipod that is OK with me as long as I can connect it directly into the AUX port.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, just bought a 1 footer at Radio Shack....$4.99
Works perfectly....now just need to keep it charged.
wish one of the 12v outlets would stay hot with the ignition off..
Oh well maybe another day or maybe after awhile I will step up to a Vais or Dice system. :?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Go to Radio Shack or any other electronic supply center and get a stereo patch cord with 1/8" male connectors on both ends. One end plugs into the socket you mentioned, the other end plugs into the IPod headphone socket, or Line Out if the IPod has such a socket. Adjust IPod volume appropriately for distortion free sound. If you use the Line Out (if it exists), then the volume control won't affect anything.
The Aux connector does not provide control of the IPod. For that you need the DICE or VAIS adapter that plugs into the back of the head unit.
Just note that sometimes if you power your aux audio device off of the 12v power "cigarette lighter" outlet in the center console, at the same time as playing audio from the device over the aux-in port in the center console, that you may still experience some noise/distortion. If so, you'll also need to purchase a ground-loop isolator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know where you'd get one, but there's another connector. It has a 1/8" on one end and an iPod connector on the other. It's supposed to give you a better audio signal, but costs more (about $35). IIRC, there's even a version that'll charge your iPod as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plugging in My Sony walkman

I enjoy listening to casette tapes in the car (someone has to!). I am about to but a prius T5 Spirit and it does not have a cassette tape player. My Sony Walkman (model number WM-EX194) only has a headphone outlet and a volume control.

Is it possible to play my cassettes via the walkman through the audio system on the car?

If so what sort of a lead do I need to connect it?

Will I be able to adjust the volume using he controls on the steering wheel?

Just to note because the car will be 'under warrenty' I would be very reluctant to do any modifcations to the car itself.

If there is not a lead that would work could you suggest another way in which i cold play casettes in the car please? (without modifying the vehicle)

Thanks for your help.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
unplug your headphone jack from your walkman. take a look at that male connector - the item you're looking for has one of those male connectors at each end. I think that it's a 1/8" stereo to 1/8" stereo.

a new UK TSpirit should have the aux input jack in the center console.

keep your walkman's volume set to a normal listening volume. (too high, and you'll have distorted sound.) you can then control the volume using the usual audio controls on your Prius.

(If you plan on also powering your walkman using the 12v cigarette lighter outlet in the center console, you may also want to purchase a ground loop isolator for the power, to keep some other distortion/noise out of the audio line.)

if you are looking into purchasing a used older TSpirit, from 2003 to mid 2005, then I think they did have the cassette deck available, but no aux-in jack.

a more local group that you may want to ask on:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-UK/
(as a lot of online forums, like this one, are mostly dominated by US-spec Prius...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks

Dear Mrv

Thanks for your reply. I believe there is a socket in the centre console (between the front seats) to plug in a MP3 player I assume that is the place I plug the jack plug into. Am I correct?

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: Many thanks

shearer27cars said:
Thanks for your reply. I believe there is a socket in the centre console (between the front seats) to plug in a MP3 player I assume that is the place I plug the jack plug into. Am I correct?
The socket in the center console is an auxilliary input jack, so any audio device that has a line-out or headphone-out should be fine there.

To note, if your NHW20 Prius has this socket in the center console, the in-dash CD player/changer is also able to read MP3 or WMA CDs, besides standard audio CDs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had a retractable-style audio cable plugged into the console jack since day 1; Since the jack is at the bottom of the console bin, it is difficult to reach once the bin is full of crap - er, holding many essentials; Also, make sure the plug is pressed firmly into the console jack - it can seem to be plugged in when only partially inserted;

Thanks for the info on the isolator - my iPod mini transmits what sounds like MotorGenerator noise from the car to the speakers when the iPod is charging through the multi-pin connector at the bottom of the iPod; It seems an expensive solution, tho - there should be a simple circuit to clean up what, after all, is just noisy 12VDC... maybe a capacitor and a couple of diodes or resistors?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.