Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Parking Assist

So why isn't this available in the US? Is it because this country is such a "lawsuit capital of the world" that Japan doesn't feel justified providing it here?

It's the same reason we have no EV mode button, am I right?

I could just see the first lawsuit trying to go through because someone's car got "scratched" by the IPA feature.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Well, supposedly parking assist is going to Europe. I figure it will get here eventually, however I'm certain that the product is still somewhat experimental in nature. On top of that the litigiousness of our society is something that Toyota has to build up to. They are either building up their warchest right now or they are getting expensive lawyers to see how they can put enough boilerplate on the documentation for IPA that a lawsuit would be hard to make successful.

Funny, when somebody mentioned IPA, I thought they were talking about India Pale Ale. :lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The host of the site it is located must have relocated the video or removed it, as it doesn't work here either anymore. I tried tracking it down. Found the original link in the personal website, but the video is not there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whew

To me IPA always meant Indian Pale Ale. I was expecting instructions on brewingbeer............

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could say the same about vehicle stability control (learn how to brake properly, learn how to drive safely in slick conditions). Or the same about using maps (learn how to read a $5 map instead of buying an $800 GPS system). Or calculating gas mileage by hand instead of having a calculator do it.

People are lazy, and like gadgets! It'd drive me crazy to press all those arrows just to back up the car (with traffic piling up behind me), but others might enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think my friend could have used the IPA. He has been having trouble parking the van we rented for this trip. Mainly though his trouble is knowing how far back or how far forward to park, something the IPA would not be able to help him with, though the rear camera might.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
jeromep said:
Well, supposedly parking assist is going to Europe. I figure it will get here eventually, ...
The IPA came out on the Japanese 2004 Prius. For the 2006 model year Prius, it is now available in UK and several other European markets.

I'll note from http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/Vi ... 6022863558 , the Lexus 2/28/2006 press release "Lexus Announces Pricing on GS 450h Luxury Gas/Electric Hybrid Sport Sedan" that it has a feature called "Intuitive Park Assist" which I hope is the same as the "Intelligent Park Assist" that we all know as IPA on the Prius...

·
Registered
466 Posts
mrv said:
I'll note from http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/Vi ... 6022863558 , the Lexus 2/28/2006 press release "Lexus Announces Pricing on GS 450h Luxury Gas/Electric Hybrid Sport Sedan" that it has a feature called "Intuitive Park Assist" which I hope is the same as the "Intelligent Park Assist" that we all know as IPA on the Prius...
The "Intuitive Park Assist" on GS is different from IPA on Prius.
http://www.lexusofhawaii.com/vehicles/G ... ed#parking

[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.