Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the dealer for the invoice price for a 2005 Prius Option 6 and was given $24656, but that number is about $800 off what both carpoint and intellichoice tell me:

Here is what I got. Please note that this show the dealer does not get charged shipping

It also has about $100 something for Z1 package and $270 on the retail side for Z1. System does not let me select that for a total price. But please explain the big differences in my number and what dealer says is invoice. I am sure he will show it to me but I'd like opinions.

Totals Invoice MSRP
Base Price $19222 $20875
Destination Charge $0 $540
Gas Guzzler Tax $0 $0
Selected Options $4176 $5065

Total Estimated Price $23398* $26480* (Really $26,742 after Z1)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If I understand your numbers properly, that looks like a spread of 12% between Invoice & MSRP, which I would consider reasonable & typical for a compact/midsize sedan. (23,398. / 26,480.)

Are you saying he is willing to sell it to you for Invoice ?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
richard schumacher said:
Dealers can do wonderfully creative things with invoices. Spend $15 for the Consumer Reports report showing what the dealer's real costs are for the car and each option. Go to http://www.consumerreports.org/main/home.jsp and follow the "Autos" link down.

Edmunds also has the information, and I don't believe there is a fee for it. When I purchased my Camry in 1999, that information was invaluable - it made my salesweenie nuts to have me negotiate from invoice, rather than down from sticker. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trying to negotiate with dealers based on their invoice price is a tactic that may be useful in a buyers' market. The Prius is in high demand and dealers don't have to negotiate that much in order to sell one. If you don't take it they figure someone else will give them what they want. I'm not suggesting that you not be educated, just that dealer cost has less to do with the final selling price than does demand at this time. Now, if we were talking about a Crown Victoria .....

By the way, I am not entirely sure, but I think that the destination charge is paid by the dealer as well. Your post shows $0 invoice and $540 MSRP.

·
Registered
736 Posts
invoice

I agree with Sonwise that it will probably be difficult to "deal off the invoice", which I have done on many car purchases, due to the demand for the Prius. I haven't gone to the sites and run the numbers, but somewhere in the info it usually says something about adding for local and national advertising. I also believe the dealer pays shipping, and you are simply reimbursing the dealer for that cost. If you look in a Kelley Blue Book of new car prices, I think it will show freight as included in FOB under both invoice and retail prices. Probably something similar online. So, if you add the shipping and advertising, which you may only see on the actual dealer invoice, you may get closer to the figures you were quoted as dealer cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts