Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12-volt battery replacement was not the final chapter in our recent repair saga.

Several days later, more errors (including the "Hybrid System Malfunction" icon) appeared on the MFD screen. Since these indicated a hybrid system failure, we took our 2002 Prius to the dealer for troubleshooting. With over 70,000 miles on the odometer, we were actually hoping for a hybrid system-related problem, as the regular warranty had expired.

It turns out that the inverter water pump had failed, and the inverter was overheating:

P/N G9020-47021, pump assembly, water w/m = $133.75
Labor to remove & replace = $149.00
Shop supplies & sales tax
Approximate total = $300

The error codes included "P3130", which appeared "due to the inverter running hot"; and the inverter was replaced, per TSB/EG022-04:

P/N G9200-48071, inverter assembly w/con = no charge ($3,500.00 list)
P/N 00272-SLLC2, super long life coolant = no charge
Labor to remove & replace = no charge

Our Prius is back to normal. I feel lucky that this failure occurred now, before the hybrid warranty ran out; and that our total repair cost was only about $425, which includes the 12-volt battery we replaced a few days earlier. Actually, five years on a 12-volt battery is considered "long life" in Arizona. They usually only last about two or three years in other cars, due to the heat.

I got the old water pump back, so I will know what to look for when it fails again. Hopefully, next time I can replace it myself BEFORE the inverter fails (after the hybrid warrantly runs out). I haven't looked to see where it goes, but it looks simple to replace. However, it is probably buried somewhere deep inside or under other parts that will have to be removed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
inverter coolant pump

I had only read of one other pump failure. It was in Honduras and I had tracked down the replacement part from metro tpn for about $100.

Replacement of the inverter may have not been needed, but since gratis there is nothing to complain about there. I see you have now been changed over to SLLC coolant, as used in the new model Prius.

Is is always possible for air bubbles to remain after this coolant change. You should put Prius in 'ready mode' and look under the hood. The inverter pump is now running; see how the fluid appears in the top reservoir. The front part of it should be at a distinctly higher liquid level than the rear, an indication of correct function. If you do not see this difference, it means that air bubbles remain in the system and must be removed. Please keep an eye on this over the next few weeks.

DAS

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: This makes a case for the ScanGaugeII which can be set to indicate real-time coolant temperature as well as three other readings and trip statistics.

I've been considering a ScanGaugeII - available for $150 in the PriusChat store. The ScanGaugeII would also work for the previous model Prius, like the 2002 posted here.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inverter Water Pump

Yes, the inverter has a separate coolant system from the ICE.

The inverter water pump is electric (12-volt) and is about the size of your fist. It looks kind of like a miniature washing machine pump or hair dryer that might cost about $15 at Home Depot. However, one has to remember that it is cooling a $3500 hybrid inverter module, so you have to multiply that by about 10x!

It seems like this is a critical part of the hybrid system, since its failure can result in repairs that will make you seriously consider whether it was wise buying a new-fangled hybrid. But, it is not covered under the extended hybrid warranty.

I guess in the big scheme of things, $300 is really insignificant, considering I have paid for absolutely no repairs on our Prius in the past five years, except for gas, routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.), one set of tires, a gas cap, and shotgun-troubleshooting for one "failure to start" incident in Flagstaff. (Luckily, a call to our local Phoenix Toyota dealer said to have the Bozos in Flagstaff reset the codes and get the heck out of there FAST!)

In all, it has been an extremely reliable car; and it's repair history is only exceeded by our 1998 Camry.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
An inverter overheat should certainly have been flagged with a DTC, and before the inverter was damaged. Thus I suspect like DAS, the inverter replacement probably wasn't necessary. But hey, it was replaced at no cost to you, so no problem there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very interesting saga. I guess I'll have to remember this for future reference as well before the hybrid warranty runs out.
Phoenix said:
Actually, five years on a 12-volt battery is considered "long life" in Arizona. They usually only last about two or three years in other cars, due to the heat.
It's probably partly because the 12 volt battery is in the trunk as opposed to the normally very hot engine compartment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had Inverter water pump replaced today in 04 prius 62000 miles after recieving like 5 different warning lights on car I took to dealer, had service guy said go ahead and drive because he thought it had to do with me exiting car while running with smart key outside car...he said it would clear after 4-5 weeks...but after driving home with warning lights on I couldnt take it and took it back to dealer and had Diagnostics ran and they found the waterpump problem with 3 of the lights pertaining to the smartkey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for waking a zombie here, but here's the thing.
A week ago I replaced my classic Prius's low-voltage
battery and now I'm having P3130 inverter water
pump issues.

Do you think that replacing the 12v battery, or the
conditions that exist when it needs to be replaced
could be kill the inverter water pump?

I'm not absolutely sure that mine is dead, but after
reading this page I'm leaning that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Prius with 98500 Miles. No Warranty coverage. I had bought the 80000 mile extended coverage but way beyond that now. Looks like my Inverter Water pump has gone bad. Had all these lights on (car with Exclamation Point and Triangle with Exclamation) Then a couple of other lights went on (circle with exclam). Downey Penske Toyota wants $670.00 freakin Dollars? Anyone done one of these? Just called 2 other dealers. Anaheim wants 500 and SouthBay Toyota 410. Guess where I am going? I used to be a mechanic but dont want to get dirty today, but for you diy guys - http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-priu ... -pump.html

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had a similar failure on our 2002 Prius, years ago. At the time, it was around $300 as I recall (parts and labor). (Oh, just noticed that post is the first one in this thread.)

The water pump is plastic and looks like it is worth about $40-50, but it is a one-of-a-kind, Toyota Prius Hybrid Vehicle part, so you are kind of over the barrel for places to buy it. I think the labor was only an hour or two, but the shop rate is probably around $100 per hour now. We just figured we hadn't had any problems that we had to pay for out-of-pocket, so we just paid the dealer.

If it's any consolation, to date we've saved over $8,000 in fuel costs over the Camry V6 our Prius replaced. If you have close to 100,000 miles on your Prius, you may be approaching this figure, too. Personally, I'd just pay them and be glad you don't have some other make of auto in your driveway. If you did, you'd probably have shelled out much more than this in 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Phoenix- The inverter coolant pump is located behind the drivers side headlamp assy. You just have to remove it to replace the pump. Looks to be fairly easy to do. I have a 2001 classic.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
ATTENTION!! This post only concerns all 2G owners with 2004 models through only part of the 2007 model run (when the factory assembly line switched to the IMPROVED inverter coolant pump version). There is now a recall [limited service campaign (because of the partial 2007 model year & the fact that this campaign has an expiration date in 2013)] to replace the inverter coolant pump & the COOLANT TOO (just a drain & refill, but it instructs the dealer to use 1.1 gallons of the SLL coolant) for free (if your car is on the approved list). There is also a provision in the campaign for owners to get reimbursed for any such replacement the eligible cars have received prior to the release of the new campaign (I think this even applies to the do-it-yourselfers, as long as you still have receipts). Regardless, to get a reimbursement (or to get the recall done), all eligible Priuses will have to be inspected by the dealer first (both to verify eligibility & to see which pump is currently on the car). Anyway, I'm providing a link over to PriusChat where a Toyota tech has generously posted the necessary information for us. Many thanks to him for the heads up, even though we haven't received our notices yet. Here comes the link.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-priu ... -pump.html

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI, if I recall correctly, the hybrid system coolant pump requires special coolant; and there was some complicated procedure for purging all of the air out of the system (probably like bleeding brake lines). Also, there was a big caution about not leaving ANY air in the system, as it could cause overheating problems with accompanying hybrid circuit board failures (very expensive). That was enough for me to pay the dealer to make sure this was was done right. Again, just my opinion, to be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Prius that had the water pump replaced back in October 2009 that had the following code is P0A93 when diagnosed. I took it in for service in Jan 2011 for service after receiving the recall notice and the service tech informed me that they had to replace with new water pump at no cost. I informed him that I had it replaced back in 2009, but he stated that this was an improved water pump. My question is will I still be eligible for a refund for the pump that was repalced back in 2009 since it seems that one was deemed to be deffective by this new pump installation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Inverter Electric Water Pump Failure

theres no reversing valve in this new water heater heat pump I building right now. Its an old a/c unit. Thats why I wanted to see if I could use a simple silnoid valve for defrost, rather than a reversing valve.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FYI, it sounds like the last two posts are regarding the ICE water pump. The earlier posts in this thread are concerning the hybrid system coolant pump, which is entirely different and separate from the one for the ICE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts