Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Team,

Notice this noise, "dikh, dikh, dikh", ever since I bought it. But never gave much attention since it doesn't seem to affect freeway driving.

Well it seems to be louder now. Happens sometimes in slow turns and seems to be isolated to the right front area. Car makes that noise even when backing into a parking space.

Varies between either "dirkh, Dirkh" or "dirkh, dirkh, dirkh" each time the brake pedal is applied. Sounds like a bubbling sound.

It doesn't always happen. I'll probably have to find a stretch of road to repeat the sounds in order to show the dealer mechanics.

What should I look at? Any specific place on the Brakes, Suspension, and/or Tires?
I'm going to try some hills and speed bumps and see when the noise is more prevalent.

Any info would be helpful. Not sure the dealer will be any help this coming Thursday.

Tony
Prius '05 4,300miles

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If it sounds like an aquarium air compressor, that's the brake Accumulator pump and that's normal. I don't think I would have described the sound the way you did, which threw me off a bit.

You don't normally operate the brakes yourself with the master cylinder the way you would in a normal car, but rather the computers determine how fast and far you press the brake pedal, and the computer then applies brake fluid pressure to the appropriate wheels (assuming regen braking is not enough or not appropriate). The pressure to apply the wheels comes from an accumulator, which is basically a brake fluid storage tank kept at high pressure. The accumulator pump maintains that pressure when it gets low from use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We should have a database of sounds the Prius makes.

Would that be swell.

My "dirkh, dirkh" sound is not a whirring sound. There's a whirring sound that comes from the right front that's different from the "dirkh, dirkh".

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noise on braking

I have developed the same niosein an early 2004. It is easiest to hear under light braking while turning. It is easiest to hear on a left turn but is there on a right turn as well. the noise is a steady ticking sound. The local service manager came down with hearing problems while on a test drive to diagnose the noise. I have 40,000 more miles on the waranty, not to worry.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I remember when I went to Mancini asking for CV joints, he skeptically asked me what made me think it was the joints.

Me: Well, its like this. I have torn boots. A few weeks ago my car's front end got stuck in a mud hole and was soaking in there for 45 minutes. Since then, I get a clunking sound when I make turns.

Him: Yep, that would be the joints.

I didn't realize it then, but I suppose he wanted to be sure I wasn't being snookered by some other shop's claim.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the sound you hear like a brushing sound? I notice at very low speeds (pulling out of the driveway, especially when the car is cold) the brakes make a intermitent brushing sound that you could be hearing, almost sounds like a "bubbling" sound.

Our cars are so quiet we think there is something wrong because we can hear the brakes working.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, more like a brief squeal. One you might hear if the brakes have surface rust, which is perfectly normal. I am not concerned, just find it interesting that the brakes are applied at all during regen. I am sure it is to get the hydraulics ready for use when they will probably be needed shortly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts