Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
and just where is that exactly? everywhere and nowhere is what it sounds like to me. Just exactly what stockholders don't want to hear.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
West vs East= ( Japan )

WayneBruce said:
and just where is that exactly? everywhere and nowhere is what it sounds like to me. Just exactly what stockholders don't want to hear.
Long future plan means- no short earnings, results-money got have now !

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I want to know why anybody thinks that Bob Lutz, the one who engineered this latest miserable quarter, is even knowledgable enough to ask these questions of?

If I were the WSJ reporter, I wouldn't have bothered. I'd rather speak with a Toyota or Honda representative, because they're proving themselves to be more relevant in terms of marketing knowledge and experience.

But that's just me. :)

I did find this little blurb quite interesting:

WSJ said:
The Prius outsold, in no particular order, the big Chevy Suburban sport utility vehicle, the Ford Expedition large SUV, and Toyota's own big Sequoia SUV, whose sales fell 12.5% last month. All those vehicles easily outsold the Prius a year ago. Domestic large SUVs, as a group, were stacked up on dealer lots at the end of March, with 120 days' supply, according to Autodata Corp.
I say let's melt 'em down and make Prius engines, motor/generators, and body panels out of 'em!

·
Registered
35 Posts
General Motors just cancelled its advertising with the LA Times because of an article critical of Lutz's record and the generally poor quality of GM cars. I recently rented a Pontiac for a few days during a vacation trip. I had not driven a large domestic car for some time and was appalled by the lousy build quality, poor handling, and all around stupidity of the car.

General Motors is approaching junk-bond status and has a valuation below that of Harley Davidson. So who cares a whit what anyone there thinks about anything, except insofar as its likely negative environmental consequences are concerned?

·
Registered
455 Posts
They also just cancelled the Envoy, will no longer offer their four wheel steering on large trucks and SUV's and its rumored the SSR will soon get the ax.

They are going down, down, down

Spike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read an interesting article in our paper today anent GM. GM now makes more cars in Ontario than in Michigan. The reason? Health care. Health care costs for each employee and retiree now cost GM $1,500 per car. Toyota was in the $200-300 range. Some speculate GM may cease to exist in the US in the not-to-distant future. DOD

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think I've only seen one SSR on the road. That's about it. And here, if you only see one copy of a particular vehicle, you know it's not selling well. (à la 2003 M45 which went on a one year hiatus and has now returned)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wrong, Hyperion! I would love to see GM make a decent car so that I could buy something made in America for a change. But I will not buy crap in order to support a company with its head you know where.

As for the generation gap, I was driving GM cars in the fifties, but gave up on them in the seventies.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You've missed a lot of great cars, and I believe you have been mistaken for thirty years. Read the posts. Anything with GM mentioned has been negative and it is just coming from a certain small group. Anyone thinking GM, Ford and Chrysler doesn't make an excellent car has their head in the sand.
They didn't guess that the administration would cause an around the world increase in the cost of oil and with it a trend for small inexpensive Japanese cars.
As for hybrids even the Japanese have just made very small numbers putting their toes into the water, but now that the dike is broken and it looks as though gas prices will stabilize in the mid two dollar range you will find every manufacturer in the world in the business.
I've just had two Chrysler mini Vans that I've driven back to back for more than 120.000 miles each and all trouble free comfortable miles. I know that Toyota makes the Seiana to compete but which should I purchase? I'de be nuts to go Japanese when I've had so much satisfaction with 14 years of American, which are less expensive (even if some pieces have been made in Canada or Mexico the dollars remain in the US.) I'm doing everything I can to keep the US green.
My Prius is a neat car but for the 1,000 mile trip I vote for the mini van and pay for the extra gas. Those Prius seats just can't remain comfortable for more than an hour and I'm sure not enamored with the thought of throwing in cushions.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Heard on NPR last week that GM might be forced to end production on the Buick and Pontiac brands if sales do not increase. It was something to the effect of them expecting a $2 billion year and only grossing $400 million in total, though the numbers might be a tad off.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
hyperion said:
GM "might be." Why not wait for something positive rather than just a rumor line. Toyota "might" be now investigating the manafacturing of Surrey's because of the eventual exhaustion of oil supplies and the return of the horse!
Perhaps we should invade Kansas to protect our supply of hay. This could improve our fertilizer problem as well. I like it. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
hyperion said:
Read the posts. Anything with GM mentioned has been negative and it is just coming from a certain small group. Anyone thinking GM, Ford and Chrysler doesn't make an excellent car has their head in the sand.
A certain small group? Such as pro-business commentators, car magazines, industry watchers? Yeah, I never believe anything they say either.

Anyone who thinks GM, Ford, and Chrysler didn't create their own downfall has their head in the sand. Isn't it convenient to blame it on anything/everything but themselves? The oil market, the government, Japanese companies taking a loss, blah blah blah. It's never anything to do with ourselves. No wonder there's no hope in sight for American car companies, we don't think there's anything that needs fixing, so why bother?

·
Registered
236 Posts
hyperion said:
GM "might be." Why not wait for something positive rather than just a rumor line. Toyota "might" be now investigating the manafacturing of Surrey's because of the eventual exhaustion of oil supplies and the return of the horse!
Horses do get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"no business case"?

Hmm, how many people are lining up to sign up for a year long waiting list to pay thousands over MSRP for your cars, Mr. Lutz?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Thomme, but their emissions are supposedly good for the envireament. And Phil, make only 100,000 of one model in a 100,000,000 market and you have to get a line. I am not disputing that the hybrid is not the future, I just dispute that Toyota is the only manufacturer who can make a good one. I find the Toyota engineering superlative and I give them a lot of credit. I'm looking forward to finding the synergy power plant in a bona fied automobile.
I think it would have been wonderfull if Toyota had taken the gamble and put hybrid power in every car and truck and SUV they made from the 2004 models on. They didn't take that gamble and now everyone is playing "catch-up. I wonder if there will be any car buyers left if the market continues this weeks performance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts