Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a really dumn report on CNN tonight from the New York car show. The reporter was going ga-ga about a monster car (485 HP Mustang or some such thing). When asked about the hybrid cars, all she could do was give reasons not to buy one. "Its uncertain what their resale value will be, repair costs and insurance rates sure to be much higher than for conventional cars." First two points are of no interest. 1) who would want to sell one once they FINALLY get one, 2) repair - Toyota's engineering + the warantee takes care of that, except for accidents, but 3) insurance rates are a concern. Does anyone have any specific points of comparison between a Prius and another car with the same sticker price, for the same driver?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Black #9Prius costs about the same to insure as my 2001 Honda Odyssey van....

I maintain 250k/500k liability, $500 deductible for collision, $250 for comprehensive with a "full tort" option here in Pennsylvania (suburbs of Philadelphia) ..it's about $850 year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Theft is one of the reasons insurance is higher from one vehicle to an other. Since a Prius has a electronic key it makes it very hard for a would be thief to steal. And since a Prius looks different than any other car it stands out. And it's a economy car. Not good in a getaway. 0 to 60 in about 10 seconds.
:roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
grebe said:
Our (cheaper but "sportier") 2000 Acura Integra (2 door) is $300 more each year to insure than our 2004 Prius. Go figure.
Integras attract a riskier driver demographic ("boy racers" and the like) and are also frequently targets of thieves. So insurance rates on Integras are likely to be high. Note that driver demographics can be the reason why otherwise similar cars (e.g. certain similar GM cars, Ford/Mercury cars, or Chrysler/Dodge cars) can have different insurance risk levels and insurance rates.

You may want to check out http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl.htm . But for your situation, calling some insurance companies and asking "what would my rates be if I got a _____?" would give the best comparison for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts