Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When spouse called for insurance on the 05 optn 4 (Smart Key, VSC + fancy lights) she didn't know if the Smart Key was considered anti theft (gotta have the chip to get in) or that the lights could be set to come on and go off on auto each time the car is started and stopped.

Both issues of course can result in lower insurance.

Questions --
Anyone able to convince insurance companies the afore mentioned option items should result in a lower rate? VSC should of course but do not think they even understand it.

Are Smart Key equipped vehicles swiped by breaking thru the system?
:?:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Smart key or no smart key, the Prius uses an engine immobilizer system (rolling ID code transponder chip in key), which is an anti-theft device.

VSC, like the air bags, are considered a safety device. Whether or not you get a discount for them seems to depend on the insurance company. (regulated MA gives discounts up to dual front air bags, apparently some companies out of state will surcharge you for side air bags (more expensive to replace in an accident) as compared to a car without the side air bags.)

as for automatic headlights, it's kinda wishy/washy. In the US (unless you have a 2002-2003 Prius with them), you don't have daytime running lights (DRLs), which is what the insurer is asking. However, you can turn on your front headlight switch and leave it on all the time, and provided that you turn off your car AND open the driver's door the lights will automatically go off for you (no buzzer), and turn back on when you turn the car on again later. so, the Prius' headlights are auto-off (in the US at least, UK gets a warning buzzer), but not real DRLs that the insurer wants.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If for some reason you don't follow the process that would auto-off the headlights (such as turning them off, then on while the door is open, but never powering up the car), then you would get a buzzer.
I agree though, it's DRL that the insurance is looking for.

SKS isn't really security, but more convenience. In actuality, it could be considered a tad less secure, since it increases the distance of the RFID response from an inch or so to a few feet. But that would be true of the smart-start function. For the entry function, the wireless remote is less secure since it can operate 10-30 feet unsolicited. SKS has to be within 3 feet, and has to be solicited by the car.
But I do agree, it is the immobilizer that the insurance is looking for. If the theft deterrent alarm is activated, so much the better.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Allstate has raised my rate each year since getting the Prius. Discounts vary from state to state, but I don't recall any anti-theft ones being applied. "New car" is still there, but no idea for how long.

Last time I raised my collision deductible above $100, I had an at-fault accident. So far, I've refused to tempt fate just to save money, but my willpower is crumbling...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
mikepaul said:
Allstate has raised my rate each year since getting the Prius. Discounts vary from state to state, but I don't recall any anti-theft ones being applied. "New car" is still there, but no idea for how long.

Last time I raised my collision deductible above $100, I had an at-fault accident. So far, I've refused to tempt fate just to save money, but my willpower is crumbling...
Check with your insurance agent! Make sure you're getting all discounts you are entitled to!

The Classic Prius comes standard with the engine immobilizer and the alarm. My insurance agent said that they'd know to give me the anti-theft discounts based on my VIN. When I first got my policy for my 2001, there were no anti-theft discounts. I had to fax over a copy of my window sticker to my agent, to get the appropriate discounts. I warned my mother to check her policy when she bought her 2002. Same problem (no discounts), but different insurance agent/insurer. She had to bring her window sticker to her agent (who made a photocopy), and then she got her discounts...

Same thing goes if you are a low-mileage driver or use public transportation, a senior citizen, have taken a driver's ed./accident avoidance class lately, added an alarm or Lojack/Guidepoint lately, etc. You have to tell your insurance company to give you the discount you deserve - they rarely assume anything!

·
Registered
319 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I've often gotten anti-theft discounts when they didn't apply. I didn't lie about it, they just put it in.
One car had been in an accident before I bought it, but I wasn't told about it until I brought it in to have the driver's door adjusted because it scraped the inside of the door frame. Never considered another Love Chevrolet car after that.

Allstate kept giving me an anti-lock brake discount, for no reason I could see. After finding out about the accident, I wondered if in addition to enough damage to need the transmission replaced, the accident had ruined the anti-lock brakes and somebody had pocketed the insurance money and went with regular brake mechanism parts in the rebuild...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The followup.
AARP gave us a discount for the Smart Key which acts as an anti theft device but did not give a discount for alway on lights. AARP indicated that to get that bene the car must ONLY operate with the lights on -- no driver option.
Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts