Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that I am paying significantly more for insurance on my new 06 than I am on my 05 Lexus RX330. Does this sound right? Are insurance rates that much higher for the Hybrids?? Haven't contacted my agent yet but wanted to get feedback here first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are so many variables involved that it would be hard to say for every person but I recently checked with my insurance agent about changing coverage on my current '04 Mazda3 to an '06 Prius. The Prius comes out $47.95 higher per 6 month policy. By contrast, an '06 RAV4 would be $32.00 less every 6 months. So really, in the big picture of automobile expenses, a pretty small difference.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was insured by the gecko until April when I got a bill for $532 for 6 months. I remembered reading that Travelers was giving a discount to hybrids so I went to AAA (the closest Travelers agency). They sold me identical coverage for $587 for a YEAR! :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I used to have gecko also, until they raised rates significantly. Progressive came out cheaper. This was when I had the SL2 though.

Prius was a tad more I think, but it was a much newer car so I attributed the increase to that. However, rates went down significantly after that. Especially when my last accident charge went bye-bye.

But that traveler's rate sounds great. Might check them out next renewal time.
How's their service? They dropped me from homeowners, even though I have never put a claim in, so I have a bit of a sour note towards them however.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My rates went up slightly with AAA, and then went up dramatically after I stuoidly put in a claim after striking some road debris. After switching to Allstate, my rates went down slightly. I also upped all of my coverages (AAA had me very UNDER insured as it turns out). I now pay 735/6 mo with $1000 deductible collision and $100 comprehensive + increased by a factor of 10-20X the liablity blanket.

I am driving 28,000+ miles per year.

As others noted, there are many variables. Do not just rely on what the internet tells you; Allstate agent was able to invoke some discounts for me that are not listed in the typical internet rate quote.

Good luck and good shopping :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've had my renters insurance through Travelers for years and they haven't dropped me. But I haven't submitted any claims so I guess they don't deem me to be any kind of risk... no dogs, no pool, nonsmoker... just too boring for them to notice, I guess. :lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Most homeowner's insurance don't cover floods, so no problem there.

The problem here is related to hurricanes and sinkholes. But insurance companies should take into account periods of heavy losses.

It's all a gamble for both sides. Once the house starts losing, they cry foul and don't want to play anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
just make sure that any safety/security items that are on your Prius show up on your auto insurance!

I may be that proverbial record on this, but... On both my 2001 Prius and my mother's 2002 Prius, different insurance agents/agencies/insurers, both of the insurance policies came in with no discounts! We both had to provide our agents with a copy of our window sticker to prove that our Classic Prius did indeed come standard with an engine immobilizer and alarm, and dual front airbags, to get the discounts for such that we were entitled to receive. (I just forwarded the 2004's info to the agent in advance to make sure that they didn't miss it on that go-around!)

·
Registered
991 Posts
So how much *ARE* you paying--obviously "higher" than before. But I'm just curious. What state and what deductible/comprehensive?

I've had my license for almost 2 year, but only started driving and got insurance piggy backed on my BF's insurance this February (when I got my Prius). For me, its cheap (considering most places wanted $300/month on a 1989 Nissan 240SX). I'm paying $143.22/month 50k/person 100k/accident, 50k property, $500 deductible/comprehensive. I'm with State Farm, my parents are with Mercury. I spoke with a friend recently who deals with insurance claims and her company fixes a lot of Prii and they say State Farm is one of the better ones.. and stay away from Farmers Insurance because they're expensive and will screw you over (insurance claims). Whatever works ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the deal - I am duking it out with my insurance agent now over the following:

Prius 6mo premium: $545
Lexus RX330 6mo"": $390

Coverage is full comp and collision w/$1k deductible with liability at 250/500/100.

It's rediculous in my mind. By the way, my wife and I have NO accidents within the last 5 years...I will have to bid this out to other carriers. I am with Allstate.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Maybe just shop around I guess. My HR Director here, has been driving for 18 years, granted she is older her insurance told her that she has a short driving record. She has a 3 year old 4-Runner and she left Mercury Insurance and went to State Farm, to get cheaper insurance--her premium for ONE year is $2000.. we can't figure it out. She has no accidents in her history and no tickets..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Some other considerations:

Age of driver, especially under 30 or over 55 will hit the ringer :wink:

Years of driving and length of time since last infraction (3 years is the limit, I think)

Commute distance and miles per year ('exposure')

At one time, I think that they also compared your zip code, called 'redlining' because some areas are more prone than others, actuarily speaking. In California, 'redlining' was outlawed by the courts because some zip codes unfairly targeted 'safe' areas and the charges were unwarranted (or so said the courts)

·
Registered
236 Posts
What is considered "Full" Insurance on our Prius is 58% lower per month than just Liability Insurance on my wife's Rav4... However, she just traded in the Rav4 for an '06 Scion xB... and with "Full" Coverage on both the Prius and Scion, the Prius is about 110% cheaper per month than the new Scion.

The vehicle I had to get rid of when we got the Prius was a '92 Toyota Supra (Liability coverage) and my insurance rate dropped about 80% when I put the Prius in its place on our policy, with "full" coverage.

So... For my policy, the Prius gave us one hell of a discounted rate.

·
Registered
140 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I used to have gecko also, until they raised rates significantly. Progressive came out cheaper. This was when I had the SL2 though.

Prius was a tad more I think, but it was a much newer car so I attributed the increase to that. However, rates went down significantly after that. Especially when my last accident charge went bye-bye.

But that traveler's rate sounds great. Might check them out next renewal time.
How's their service? They dropped me from homeowners, even though I have never put a claim in, so I have a bit of a sour note towards them however.
I've been with Traveler's for 3 or 4 years. Never had an auto claim but did have a homeowner's claim. I had a laptop computer stolen from a hotel room in Paris. I didn't take time to call the police because we had a plane to catch (I figured the cost of missing the flight was probably greater than the cost of the computer), and frankly, I didn't know what to expect with French police: How good are they? How helpful are they to foreigners? Do they even speak English (we spoke virtually no French)? Etc. No problem with the claim. Traveler's paid it promptly, basing payment on the full purchase price (it was only 7 months old) including the extended warranty I bought, minus the deductible. They subsequently have added a small "loss experience" surcharge to my premium, which I consider reasonable.

For auto insurance, after replacing a 1997 Honda CRV with the Prius, my collision premium went up a modest amount but liability went down. Sorry, I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but the total premium was pretty much a wash. This is without the hybrid discount. My last renewal was before the discount became available. My agent tells me the discount will kick in with my next renewal.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.