Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all:

I got my Prius with option package 4 so it didn't include a cassette player. I have a long commute so I listen to books on tape (unfortunately, there just isn't nearly as many books available at this point on CD). I called a couple of dealerships and one told me that it would cost $1,100.00 to have the 6/CD changer compo Cassette system that comes with the higher option packages installed and the other one told me that the 6/CD Changer Cassette player combo isn't even available anymore. I know there is a slot under the current stereo system where I might put in a after market cassette player, but I am very leery of having anyone but a certified mechanic install something that is obviously going to involve getting inside the front console and messing with the wiring. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might go about getting a cassette player installed without having to pay $1,100.00? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Riff, the first dealer is correct, they are making the Prius with this combo. But since you have your car, I'd seriously consider not installing the cassette player but using a portable on the seat. It sure saves a lot of money and you would't have to worry about someone ruining your dashboard. Just a thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
And there's a power outlet inside the main compartment of the armrest, on the front wall. A portable cassette player can be easily stashed out of sight without having to unplug it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and got a Panasonic RQ-A220 Cassette Player/Recorder. It's small enough to fit in the Storage compartment, but the sound quality isn't quite what I wanted. I was hoping for something small with decent sound quality (wanted my cake and eat it to :). The one thing that I wanted to avoid was having a boom box in the car all the time :). All the portable cassette players that I looked don't seem to use 12v so I am going to look for a adapter at Radio Shack later this week. It will run up to 20 hours on a 2 double A's so even if I can't get it to work with a adaptor 20 hours isn't to bad.

I usually don't buy my audio books. I get them from the Library and the ones here in Orange County, CA still have just a small selection on CD (they have a huge selection on Cassette though). I only listen to unabridged Audio books and they usually average from 10 to 16 cassettes. I wish the Prius CD Player played MP3's then I could covert the cassettes to MP3 CD's since that would only take a few CD's. Converting 10 to 16 tapes every time just isn't worth the time, effort, and expense since legally I can't keep the CD's after I return the audio book to the library.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts