Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me that I should get an initial oil change at the 1,500 mile mark "to get rid of the wear-in particles that get trapped in the filter."

Is this, or any other service, really appropriate or helpful at 1,500 miles, or should waiting until 5,000 miles be sufficient? :?:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do synthetic at regular 5k intervals (or whatever is specified in the manual) on all of my cars. Just a habit -- I don't mind a little overkill in that dept. But that first oil change shouldn't be accelerated. Those "wear particles" are important when first breaking in the engine, and your mileage will typically improve once an engine is properly broken-in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My take on oil changes --

Do an initial change at 2k or so. But don't change to synthetic at that time. Some friction is needed for the smooth breakin.

You might even wait until the 10k change to go to synthetic, but I would use synthetic. Doesn't cost all that much more and I do believe it is far better for the engine.

My Dodge p/up is at 200k. At 20k I started a routine of a full synthetic oil and filter change, then after 7.5k, a filter change and top up and then another full change at 12k Still runs strong and uses no oil at all.

But I habitually "overmaintain" all my stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Prius dealer required my car for a 1000 Km service that was not mentioned in the service manual. Apparently they like to check the vehicle for loose nuts etc. as well as change the oil and filter.
The best part is the service was free.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
A lot of car dealers who have been in the business for say forty years have always recommended an early initial oil and filter change. These are the guys that have been in business a long time and are doing it for the good of and only with the wish of extending the lifetime of the car.
My dealer also threw in the first 2,000 mile oil change free.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It it normal for European dealers to "throw in" a free check up at 1000 km - some even do a free oil change. Actually most service manuals clearly advise it. Heck, you are buying a new car off of them - should be free.

Then however, the time till the next service can vary, from 15.000 to 40.000 km.

Walter

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can tell the difference between the Prius owners who "want a good gas mileage car" and ones who "want to help the environment".

Early oil changes just add to the waste oil in the system.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I still haven't seen any good explanation as to why the US NHW20 has a 5000 mile/6 month change interval, where the UK NHW20 (and several other countries, but I don't recall all of them at the moment) has a 10000 mile/1 year change interval... I only have speculation as to the change interval from the US NHW11 at 7500 miles changing to the 5000 mile interval for the US NHW20 (same engine otherwise, just a higher rev limiter on the NHW20) as to a way to increase the tire rotations after the tire wear issues on the Classic...

(In much shorter words - the scheduled maintenance book in the US is already much more frequent than that found in the rest of the world for the same car, so why go even more frequent than that?)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
MRV, Probably because Americans have been treating their cars differently than drivers in the rest of the world for about 102 years. Whose to say what is right but if it is to err, then I would suggest doing it on the safe side.
Ask the service manager who suggests an initial change at a thousand miles when he does his first. And ask the people at Jiffy Lube that keep writing out those reminder stickers for 3,000 miles how often they change their oil.
Then make up your own mind. It is personal, and when you realize just how important oil is for the protection of your engine, check the price of a quart, and the amount required for each fill. . Darn cheap insurance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
first oil

I have only seen 13 used engine oil analyses for Prius; this is scanty evidence indeed. But two of those were "first oil changes", and they both had more than 10 times as much copper as any of the later ones. No other wear metals were substantially elevated.

Lest this sound too dramatic, everything else we have seen from Prius engine oil analyses suggests that it will probably last for-freaking-ever. But I have no problem whatever if somebody wants to make their first oil change an early one.

One may always compensate for that extra gallon of waste oil later, by slightly extending the oil change intervals when everything settles down inside.

DAS

PS: When I first posted a Prius engine oil analysis, I was begging others to do the same. I still am!

·
Registered
582 Posts
maint costs - oil

DanMan32 said:
Problem is, the oil analysis costs nearly as much as an oil change itself...
This is true. I figure 3.5 qts @$5 + filter $5 + Blackstone analysis @ $20. $42.50 per 10,000 miles. 0.425 cents per mile.

One alternative is a "dino-change" for $12 per 5,000 miles. 0.24 cents per mile.

Over 300k miles I will have have spent an extra $555. How to justify that?

The non-contact surfaces in the engine will not have "varnish". The engine may or may not have experienced less wear. The "engine wear metal release history" may be of interest to a few, and it may provide some crucial maintenance information as well. I will have added 26 1/4 fewer gallons of engine oil to the recycle/waste stream. If there is an (unconfirmed hypothetical) 0.1 mpg fuel economy improvement, I will have purchased about 12 fewer gallons of gasoline.

Such justification will compel some, but not others. That's OK.

DAS

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quadling said:
My dealer told me that I should get an initial oil change at the 1,500 mile mark "to get rid of the wear-in particles that get trapped in the filter."

Is this, or any other service, really appropriate or helpful at 1,500 miles, or should waiting until 5,000 miles be sufficient? :?:

This is the single most important oil change you will ever make in your car's entire life. Make the oil change at 1,500 miles or even sooner (1,000 miles). You should also, of course, change the oil filter. Many of us think that you should also THROW AWAY the old oil drain plug and buy a brand new one for the car. These are usually magnetic (I don't know if they are in the Prius), and they capture the wear particles from the abrasion of piston against cylinder wall.

Trust me on this. I'm an old mechanical engineer with 40+ years of experience, and I know whereof I speak. Your car's engine experiences as much wear during the first 1,000 miles as it will in the next 50,000. Please, CHANGE THE OIL!!! By doing this you will wash out the vast majority of iron shavings that are suspended in the oil. If you don't, these particles will act just like the abrasive cleanser you use to clean your sink, and these particles are NOT all filtered out by the oil filter.

You've spent somewhere between $24,000 and $29,000 for your new Prius. By not spending around $20 to change its oil this one extra time, you are just about doubling the abrasive wear on the pistons, rings, and cylinder walls that the car will experience over its lifetime.

I took a new car (a Honda, sorry) back to the dealer to have its oil changed at 1,000 miles, and the service writer, a very young, green kid actually ARGUED with me, saying that it was stupid to do this. I thanked him very much and took the car to another dealer, who was glad for the business and who understood completely why I was having the oil changed. I never went back to the dealer from whom I bought the car. This cost his service department just about $4,000 over the life of the car.

Sorry for ranting, but thanks for reading it.

Jim

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
James, your info is outdated. Oil analysis that others have done shows a bit of extra copper and some silicone from the seals, but that's it and even those levels were acceptable. Engines today are machined very very well, and I believe they are pre-run. I don't believe the drain plug is magnetic, as some have suggested the idea of adding a magnet.

Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Even the so-called break-in period is more relaxed than it has in years past. For first 600 miles, don't drive like a maniac. Accelerate smoothly, brake gently, vary your speeds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
DanMan32 said:
James, your info is outdated. Oil analysis that others have done shows a bit of extra copper and some silicone from the seals, but that's it and even those levels were acceptable. Engines today are machined very very well, and I believe they are pre-run. I don't believe the drain plug is magnetic, as some have suggested the idea of adding a magnet.

Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Even the so-called break-in period is more relaxed than it has in years past. For first 600 miles, don't drive like a maniac. Accelerate smoothly, brake gently, vary your speeds.
REBUKED!! (but wasn't it done so very politely!) This is a nice forum, and even disagreements are handled with regard for the other guy's feelings. We will never agree on this issue, but I will always be glad to read postings from DanMan32.

p.s. In my last four cars (3 Hondas and 1 Lexus) I didn't bother to change the oil at 1,000 miles for the very same reason that you stated. But I wish I had changed to synthetic at the very beginning.

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.