Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine tried a product called Enviromax Plus in his 2004 Prius
and he said he gained a 29% increase in MPG. I was skeptical but I am always looking for a way to save at the pump so I tried there No Risk Money Back Guarantee. I have been using the product for 3 weeks now and it has increased my MPG by 27% from 42 MPG to 53 MPG with the same driving conditions. I have never tried anything that actually worked before, but this definitely works. I found this product at:
http://www.enviromaxplus.com/?3618401

Happy Savings, Don
2005 Salsa Red Prius Pkg#6

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
No, it's true. It really works! My brother-in-law's, friend's, co-worker tried it and he trippled his mileage! And I read it on the internet so it must be true!

:lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Increase by 27 or 29 percent won't make any difference if you have to buy 4 cases for 439.95 dollars. That's absurd. Maybe its better for NASCAR cars.

If you spend 24 dollars every 530 miles but with this product, you'd prolly spend 20-21 dollars every 575 or something.

No thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't get it: $13.75 per bottle at the cheapest bottle rate, and it adds 27% to my MPGs so I go maybe 570 miles instead of 450 on 10 gallons. The extra 120 miles would be a little under 3 gallons of gas at the original rate, so I'd spend $13.75 to 'save' maybe $8.50 or so?

Ummm, no. If it ever ends up at $3.95 per bottle at PepBoys, and if it lives up to its rep then maybe I'd buy more than the first bottle...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok I don't endorse this product but I got curious. I use AMSoil's PI additive in my Audi so I wanted to see what the actual costs were for this stuff.

Generally with these additives you don't add the entire bottle to the tank. You add 1 oz or so per 10 gallons of gas. You may put half a bottle at the first fill up but never an entire bottle. It's not like the Techron fuel injector system cleaner bottles at Bumper to Bumper. That's the first mistake that you are all considering.

Here's my math:

1 oz additive = 10 gallons gas
1 case = 8 bottles x 16 oz = 128 oz = 1280 gallons of gas
$134.95 for 8 bottles = $16.86/bottle at the 1 case rate
$16.86 treats 160 gallons so $0.105/gallon for the treatment

Prius... use 45mpg
45 mpg at 15,000 miles per year = 333.3 gallons of gas
assume a 10% increase in economy to 50mpg
50 mpg at 15,000 miles per year = 300 gallons
Difference of 33.3 gallons.
Assume gas at $2.50/gallonx 33.3 gallons = $83.25 in gas savings
You would need to treat the 300 gallons so 300 gallons x $0.105 = $31.50

So you could save about $51.75 per year assuming a 10% MPG increase from 45 MPG to 50, you drive 15,000 miles, and gas is at $2.50/gallon. Don't forget to add in cost of shipping, etc...

Worth it? Maybe, maybe not. you have to add it at each fillup, you have to store it. I use a similar additive (AMSoil) on my Audi and do I notice an increase? Not sure, definately not 20-35% as some of these guys advertise. Power increase? Possibly. It's basically a fuel injector cleaner that I put in at every fill-up. Since I don't know how well they do gas here and I don't have the bigger brands that do good detergents, I guess it can't hurt. At 147k miles, I only had one injector fail and that was when I bought the car.

YMMV. I'll keep using my AMSoil stuff since I have a couple of gallons and use it on 4 cars :).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The literature says 1 oz/5 gallons. Bringing the numbers even closer together in your calculations. It will cost you over $2 per 10 gallon tank fill. You would have to see the full 10% improvement and you'd still only be saving about $20 per year. The hassle factor alone doesn't justify that for me.

Besides, shouldn't this 2 post poster have put this under for sale stuff, sounds awefully ad-like to me....I bet he sells a ton of this stuff at the H2 site though!!:roll: :roll:

chuckleb said:
Ok I don't endorse this product but I got curious. I use AMSoil's PI additive in my Audi so I wanted to see what the actual costs were for this stuff.

Generally with these additives you don't add the entire bottle to the tank. You add 1 oz or so per 10 gallons of gas. You may put half a bottle at the first fill up but never an entire bottle. It's not like the Techron fuel injector system cleaner bottles at Bumper to Bumper. That's the first mistake that you are all considering.

Here's my math:

1 oz additive = 10 gallons gas
1 case = 8 bottles x 16 oz = 128 oz = 1280 gallons of gas
$134.95 for 8 bottles = $16.86/bottle at the 1 case rate
$16.86 treats 160 gallons so $0.105/gallon for the treatment

Prius... use 45mpg
45 mpg at 15,000 miles per year = 333.3 gallons of gas
assume a 10% increase in economy to 50mpg
50 mpg at 15,000 miles per year = 300 gallons
Difference of 33.3 gallons.
Assume gas at $2.50/gallonx 33.3 gallons = $83.25 in gas savings
You would need to treat the 300 gallons so 300 gallons x $0.105 = $31.50

So you could save about $51.75 per year assuming a 10% MPG increase from 45 MPG to 50, you drive 15,000 miles, and gas is at $2.50/gallon. Don't forget to add in cost of shipping, etc...

Worth it? Maybe, maybe not. you have to add it at each fillup, you have to store it. I use a similar additive (AMSoil) on my Audi and do I notice an increase? Not sure, definately not 20-35% as some of these guys advertise. Power increase? Possibly. It's basically a fuel injector cleaner that I put in at every fill-up. Since I don't know how well they do gas here and I don't have the bigger brands that do good detergents, I guess it can't hurt. At 147k miles, I only had one injector fail and that was when I bought the car.

YMMV. I'll keep using my AMSoil stuff since I have a couple of gallons and use it on 4 cars :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whew! I thought I'd get flamed/jumped on for sure! It's great to be able to debte something logically.

I agree, 10% increase is asking for a lot of a fuel additive... worse case would be to break out even on the cost portion I'd say.

·
Registered
319 Posts
OK, I blew right by that 2oz per 10 gallons thing, so the price is 1/8 of the above, and even I would benefit if it works.

But why would a catalyst be started out at 1oz per 5 gallons then drop to 1oz per 10 gallons ('maintenance')? What kind of long-term benefit can it be imparting, so that it doesn't need to be added at the same strength every time?...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The theory goes that you are conditioning the system by using more if it initially and once the system has adjusted to the new mix, you can drop back to the regular rate. That or it is a system flush.

My experience with this is the AMSoil product as I said earlier but I think the theory is the same. I generally pour 2-3 oz in per use. Heck, since I have to use premium gas, any savings is going to be good! Hrm, and it's cheaper... but doesn't say what it's made of or what it can do.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx

So I guess if you have to buy some, try the cheaper stuff. Better chance you'll recoup your cost :)

mikepaul said:
OK, I blew right by that 2oz per 10 gallons thing, so the price is 1/8 of the above, and even I would benefit if it works.

But why would a catalyst be started out at 1oz per 5 gallons then drop to 1oz per 10 gallons ('maintenance')? What kind of long-term benefit can it be imparting, so that it doesn't need to be added at the same strength every time?...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
mikepaul said:

According to http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...,266,082.WKU.&OS=PN/5,266,082&RS=PN/5,266,082
the patent, the additive reduces hydrocarbon build up within the fuel and combustion system. Once that build up is eliminated (higher doses) one need only maintain with the lower doses.

According to the patent this stuff is essentially Napthalene, zinc oxide, and some other stuff suspended in Kerosene.

*note:I'm having a bit of trouble getting back onto the USPTO site, seems it's busy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
United States Patent 5,266,082
Sanders November 30, 1993

In a few years a generic version might come out, so unless the price (and shipping!) comes down I can wait...

·
Registered
370 Posts
How come when someone thinks about putting a minute amount of acetone in their tank they're laughed at, but we can have an "intelligent" debate about this hocus-pocus.

At least with the acetone we know what we're actually putting in the tank. What's in Amsoil and/or Enviromax? I'll bet it's some kind of solvent that accomplishes the same thing as acetone and would have the same warranty-related ramifications as adding acetone.

Just Wondering...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just realized that naphthalene is used in mothballs, and previous posts have mentioned dropping mothballs into the tank.

Interesting how these ideas stick around...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Since we're on the topic of fuel injector cleaners, maybe someone can help me out. I never believed in those things and for our last two Camry services, the dealer added that in (and I was furious for having them add something to the car without asking then charging us $40 for it [per service]). One think I did notice is that our Camry's trip computer's average fuel economy jumped from 11.0L/100km back to 9.9L/100km.

Now I have a few questions:
a) is that jump merely because of that stupid cleaner>
b) is it because we also changed the automatic transmission fluid
c) is there some other break-in at 72,000km?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, I replied to this guy's other post, with the math all done out. It turns out that 'best case', you get a 23% improvement in 'cents per mile'. In worst case (only half as good as it says, on a Hummer with cheap gas in the first place,) you only get a miniscule 1.1% improvement.

Yes, you get WORSE results with cheaper gas, and when you start with worse gas mileage. (Because the percent improvement doesn't mean as much.) You get BETTER results with more expensive gas, and when you start with better gas mileage (such as a Prius.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts