1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leave the lights on all the time.

Coast when you can.

Drive slower for better mileage.

Your mileage will be worse when the car is new, on short trips, in cold weather or with lower tire pressure.

Coastal Dave has gadgets to make the care do several cool, but unnecessary things.

The green color isn't.

The gas guage isn't very accurate and the "fix" doesn't.

GM is our uncle with dementia. We feel bad for him, but don't hold much hope.

The car has seats. You might like them or not. Sit on it and decide.

Some cell phones work with the BlueTooth. Most don't. You shouldn't be talking on the phone when you drive anyway.

The Nav system is great fun, and variably reliable.

The car doesn't hold a full four quarts of oil.

You can buy the extended protection plan later for under a grande.

mrv is the source of all knowledge.

Did I miss anything? :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
Did I miss anything? :)
Yup. There's not enough coffee, and it's not strong enough. :lol:

Oh - one more...

RTFM!! :!:

·
Registered
81 Posts
hyperion said:
Just the total lack of aftermarket goodies. (maybe when a hundred more thousand are on the streets)
Otherwise, "Perfect"
I'm astonished that you declare such a thing! I'm surprised to see so many aftermarket goddies around, like costaldave ecc.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Summary

EXCELLENT! Hep, you have put it all in a succinct, well thought piece. It should be kept in place for every new owner or would be buyer to read first time on this site.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hep...... that was almost Poetic!

Only thing I would add........
"JUST DRIVE IT!"
or.....
"BATTERIES INCLUDED"

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Tramp, As far as I can find Coastal Dave is the only supplier of after market toys for the Prius and they are all not on my list. An EV button so you can play with a battery only car, (you can buy that in France)a trailer hitch which would be great to carry a bike rack but the Prius manual says "no towing," some electrical goodies but none allowing you to tap into the ECU for rpm, temp, or pressure indications, and a promise (for 8 months) of an engine run indication combined with brake regeneration indicator! I'de be the first in line for one of those just to get the engine run indication.
For a car like the Prius, there is relatively no aftermarket. I will admit you can get floor mats and mud flaps and a few other cosmetics.
If you can find a J.C. Whitney catalog
in a library you will understand what I have stated. With some tools and a JC Whitney catalog you can rebuild a VW, jeep and maybe a Fiat. You can get aftermarket parts for pick-up trucks, mini vans, motorhomes, and about every car made in the US since the 1920's
Why no aftermarket for the Prius? Not enough sold yet is my first guess and none sold to a mechanically inclined mechanic who would really like to know what is going on with the power plant.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hyperion said:
Tramp, As far as I can find Coastal Dave is the only supplier of after market toys for the Prius and they are all not on my list.
Well, I foud a few more than "only" Coastal drive, but I see your point compared to J.C. Whitney's catalogue. As you said, the number of Prii sold is too low to even bother, yet, with a spare parts catalogue. Maybe in ten years, when there will be two million Prii around USA, you will be able to find parts in J.C. Whitney's catalogue.

Think that in Italy it's illegal to tamper with your car: we are not even allowed to change oil on our own! (This does not mean that nobody does it: one thing is it bieng illegal, another is being caught in the act!)

An EV button so you can play with a battery only car, (you can buy that in France)
Actually, the EV button is standard in Europe, it's the cruise control that's being stripped from Italian Prii, which is what made me buy my Prius in France.

some electrical goodies but none allowing you to tap into the ECU for rpm, temp, or pressure indications, and a promise (for 8 months) of an engine run indication combined with brake regeneration indicator! I'de be the first in line for one of those just to get the engine run indication.
I would be right beside you! :) I'm a data fanatic too, and I would not mind that gadget that Graham made for Prius I and it's not (yet) available for the II.

As for the towing, it surprises me that she can't tow... My Fiat 500 can tow 350Kg... :(

For a car like the Prius, there is relatively no aftermarket. I will admit you can get floor mats and mud flaps and a few other cosmetics.
Give time to time, you Americans will see nore that we Europeans will, since for every 50 Prii sold in the USA, 1 is sold in Europe. Tahnks to Internet, we can still have access....

·
Registered
508 Posts
"Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:41 am" (your timezone may vary)

A comprehensive summary indeed, but cripes, Hep - get some sleep!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thomme said:
"Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:41 am" (your timezone may vary)

A comprehensive summary indeed, but cripes, Hep - get some sleep!
So much coffee. So little time.

It was 6:41 here in the Land of Lakes when I posted over my morning cup. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
uh...why keep the lights on?

Good summary hep, but relative newbie wants to know...

tell me again why we keep the lights on???? :oops: :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: uh...why keep the lights on?

Isabelle said:

In the US, daytime running lights is not an option for 2001, 2004-2005 Prius. So, many of us use "poor man's DRLs" aka the Prius' auto-off headlight feature, where you leave your headlights/taillights on all the time, and they'll turn off automatically if you turn off the car and open the driver's door. Lights are on for both your own forward visibility and also for other vehicles ability to see you... Lights on for safety!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
a trailer hitch which would be great to carry a bike rack but the Prius manual says "no towing,"
The maintenance guide describes addtional maintenance to perform when towing.

And anyways, I wouldn't consider a bike rack towing, unless the wheels of the bike would be on the ground

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: uh...why keep the lights on?

Isabelle said:

Of course use your own judgement. Look in the mirror. Now look at your significant other. Leave the lights on at your own risk. :wink:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good summary. But you forgot:

For best mpg: remove your tires, always drive downhill.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Astrowoman said:
An04Prius said:
For best mpg: [...], always drive downhill.
Now we just need to get Escher to redesign my commute! :lol:
His downhills are always so bumpy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts