Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having hardly driven our old Tercel since getting the Prius, I'd forgotten how weird its flotation gas gauge is. At the start of some recent errands, it read a little under 1/4. Over the next 15 miles, it dropped nearly to "E" before increasing to over 1/4. When I rolled back into the driveway, it again read a little under 1/4 - exactly the same as it had when I left. If experience is a guide, it will have dropped a bit next time I start it.

Of course, gas gauges may have improved considerably since the 1981 Tercel - it also has a carburetor - but I wonder whether the Prius gas gauge isn't so much inaccurate, as it's inaccurate in a way we don't yet take for granted. A Prius pip may not represent the same amount of gasoline from tank to tank, but at least the Prius gauge goes consistently - if not steadily - down as you drive.

Now, I'm not talking about the difficulty of getting a consistent level of fill at a gas station. That's an unrelated issue, and it IS a little irritating. :x

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, and I once ran out of gas in my old Datsun pickup truck ('83? the year before they became Nissan) driving in the mountains. I was going uphill and the gas guage read OVER 1/4 full. Ooops.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, and I once ran out of gas in my old Datsun pickup truck ('83? the year before they became Nissan) driving in the mountains. I was going uphill and the gas guage read OVER 1/4 full. Ooops. Float was at the back of the tank...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Yes, and I once ran out of gas in my old Datsun pickup truck ('83? the year before they became Nissan) driving in the mountains. I was going uphill and the gas guage read OVER 1/4 full. Ooops. Float was at the back of the tank...
You ran out of gas twice on the same hill ? :shock: Gotta pay better attention :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts