Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow sounds great. But what do I do? When I get up to the toll booth do I just tell the guy I have a hybrid and he'll let me go?

·
Registered
33 Posts
trapperjohn said:
Hi,
I found legislation in NY state that will allow HOV use with 1 pasenger and Free tolls for 2 years. The effective date is April 2004.

Nice to hear!

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07474&sh=t

Bryan
Yeah, but look at this part where they define "clean" vehicles that qualify to be in the HOV lanes with only the driver:

"...AS MEETING EXHAUST EMISSION STANDARDS FOR SUPER-ULTRA-LOW-EMISSION VEHICLES WHICH THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS ADOPTED..."

According to the sticker on the side of the Prius, we're PLEV, not SULEV vehicles, so I think we're out of luck. The free tolls provision also references the same definition of "clean", so no joy there either.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
GeoffM said:
trapperjohn said:
Hi,
I found legislation in NY state that will allow HOV use with 1 pasenger and Free tolls for 2 years. The effective date is April 2004.

Nice to hear!

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07474&sh=t

Bryan
Yeah, but look at this part where they define "clean" vehicles that qualify to be in the HOV lanes with only the driver:

"...AS MEETING EXHAUST EMISSION STANDARDS FOR SUPER-ULTRA-LOW-EMISSION VEHICLES WHICH THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS ADOPTED..."

According to the sticker on the side of the Prius, we're PLEV, not SULEV vehicles, so I think we're out of luck. The free tolls provision also references the same definition of "clean", so no joy there either.

Geoff
I thought the Prius was an AT-SULEV, meaning Advanced Technology SULEV?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The 2004-2005 Prius is a P-ZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) which is one step BETTER than SULEV. (Basically, P-ZEV is SULEV plus zero evaporative fuel.) So it should qualify.

And from what I can find, even the older 2001-2003 Prius is SULEV.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ehurtley said:
The 2004-2005 Prius is a P-ZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) which is one step BETTER than SULEV. (Basically, P-ZEV is SULEV plus zero evaporative fuel.) So it should qualify.

I think this is great, let me know when it comes into effect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ehurtley said:

Cool. Where do we sign up??? :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
lowspeed said:
ehurtley said:

I think this is great, let me know when it comes into effect.
I did some more checking, and the last activity I can find for this bill is:

05/06/2003 held for consideration in transportation

Doesn't look like there's been any activity since then, and no vote, so who knows when/if this will ever happen. :(

Geoff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Here is an update...
I spoke with a assembly member who says that it was not voted on this session and will have to wait till next in session in January..

SO it is not dead..

Best thing is to talk to your assembly person and have them help push it along.

Here is the link to find out which one you have and where they are located. There is an option to search by zip code..

http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

Bryan

·
Registered
33 Posts
trapperjohn said:
Hi,
Here is an update...
I spoke with a assembly member who says that it was not voted on this session and will have to wait till next in session in January..

SO it is not dead..

Best thing is to talk to your assembly person and have them help push it along.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

Bryan
Thanks for the update.

I sent an email to my assemblyman requesting support for this bill when it comes up in January. I also suggested that he could do a lot to stimulate more clean-car sales if he'd sponsor legislation giving sales tax credits for SULEV and better vehicles. (And retroactive would be especially nice!)

Guess we'll see what happens in January.

Geoff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts