Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As fate would have it the loaner Prius that I got today thru Sat PM is a Silver with package #9, exactly what I want but it isn't for sale as it is classified as a rental. I want to be the one to break in my new Prius not a bunch of throttle happy Lookie Lous so even if it becomes for sale I'd have to pass.

The section line at my new home site is on the GPS map which is an improvement on my two Garmin units which have less detail, even the map on CD I have for them doesn't show it but it is on the map in this Prius.

All the gadgetry is a distraction on the interstate at cruising speed in traffic. Sure need that cruise control as it is going a lot faster that it seems. I'd get a ticket without realizing how fast I was going.

Gotta be more careful filling the tank, it likes to "burp" gas back out the filler.

I am not impresssed with the sensitivity of the FM radio. ON "SEEK" it had trouble finding stations. My '89 Dakota "beater" farm truck's radio gets lots more stations. Haven't tried the CD yet. When in OKC I got good reception and the sound quality was very nice so the amps and sp-eakers are OK, just not such a hot tuner. (For you east coast types... When I say hot tuner I refer to the sensitivity of the RF section of the sound system not a heated fish sandwich.)

4 more days to play...

:D Pat :D

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
as for "burping" gas, either you
were using a faulty gas pump that
did not shut off properly, or you
tried to overfill (continue pumping
past the automatic gas pump shutoff).

I'll note that I received a promo
Prius slide rule at a Toyota Engines
of Change tour stop. among various
comparisons of the Prius's emissions
to other things, Toyota says:

"Driving a Prius 24,000 miles produces fewer smog-forming emissions than spilling 1 cup of unleaded gasoline"

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michelle, I have long since got past the need to "top off" tanks (a bad practice) for personal reasons as well as "the environment." I don't like the smell of raw gasoline, especially on me or my shoes/clothes AND especially in a closed car so I try to avoid it. It wasn't my regular station, mine is out of service putting in new tanks and I suspect the auto shut off couldl be more sensitive.

Now about all those terrible things I previously said about the fine sensitive receiver section of the Prius audio system...

In the back of the car there is a cargo net installed. Inside the cargo net there was a small sealed plastic bag. Inside the bag there was a screw-in radio antenna which when screwed into the antenna mount made a great improvement in radio function, both for AM as well as FM. DU-UH!

Interesting that this car was used as a demo for various things including a seminar on clean air vehicles but as it was in close proximity to strong stations, no one noticed that the antenna was not installed. I assume they used the radio as several local stations were programed in and worked when in the city.

So far, since fillup, indicated mileage is in the mid 30's but expect better sonce pre fillup was in the 40's, especilly if my wife learns to use the cruise control (not everyone drives smoothly when in manual control.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
patrickg said:
So far, since fillup, indicated mileage is in the mid 30's but expect better sonce pre fillup was in the 40's...
Hope your obsession with MPG doesn't prevent you from enjoying a positive test driving experience. (BTW, that's a joke.)
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Moo, If only the GPS map had elevation contours as well as roads then I would be able to pick routes such that I could always drive downhill to enhance mileage. Better possibly for Oklahoma would be a link to NWS telemetry so windfield data could be utilized so you could plot a course to take advantage of the prevailing winds and drive with a tailwind. Both surefire ways to enhance mileage.

For the folk who think EM filelds under strong power lines are all bad...They should consider putting a resonant 60 Hz loop antenna on their Prius and using the radiated energy from the powerlines to help keep the batt topped off while driving in close proximity to transmission lines. You could park the Prius near powerlines and get your battery charged. Yet another mileage enhancing strategem without resorting to fold out pedals for your passengers.

My wife is doing most of the driving now that I drove it here from OKC. Only fair, as she will be primary driver when someday we "win" the Prius lottery and actually get one of our own. My take is that it is more comfortable than any of the Subarus or Hondas we were considering. The drivers position is a bit strange fitting for me, not really uncomfortable but different and subject to improvement. If only the steering wheel could telescope some it would be great. I can deal with the lack of 37 way electrically adjustable heated massage seats. If I have the seat back far enough for leg comfort, my arms barely reach the wheel. This is partly due to having to rake the seat back sufficienty to get my head out of contact with the ceiling. A side benefit of leaning back is that it brings my eye level down so that I can look forward down the road and not just right in front of the car. I'm 6'2", have 32 inch inseam and my wing span is 76 inches (outstretched arms finger tip to finger tip.) Not all that unusual these days. At least the "Believe IT or Not" folks haven't shown an interest. I have been comfortable in an Austin Heally Sprite and the cockpit of a Cessna 150/152.

Pretty fair head clearance getting in and out. Better than a lot of cars where extra care must be taken to avoid smacking my head. Seat belts are comfortable, more so than a lot of cars in the way they fit me. the speckled area on the windshield not covered by the visors is better than nothing but not nearly as nice as the little extension that pulls out sideways in some cars to cover that spot. Glasses box is nice but two would be way better.

Toyota would need to offer a little more inside the cockpit to sell this car well if it weren't such an engineering marvel. As it is I think we are willing to accept a little less in one area to get oodles more in another.

It is still within the envelope of acceptable comfort but not optimum. The ride is very nice but I would want MORE UNDERCOAT SOUNDPROOFING. I know it is quiet and that makes it easy to hear road noise which on some surfaces is a lot of "white noise" like slipstream noise in a high speed aircraft. This is enough to be objectionable. On other surfaces it is super quiet when the little engine isn't having to do too much. I don't mind the occasional periods of engine noise so much as the road noise.

The sound system (package #9) is just fine (especially when the radio antenna is installed). The slightly mechanical ladies voice is intelligible and not irritating. Glad they didn't synthesize Fran Drescher! Most all controls are sufficiently intuitive that you can survive without a manual (they didn't provide one). Some indications left us guessing. One was a displayed symbol that looked like a snowflake on a road. I guessed that it wasn't prodicting snow was going to fall on the road and that it might have been warning of an outside temperature and or temp and humidity conducive to icing but really was just guessing. It was red and could have been warning that the ice dispenser was malfunctioned for all I know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts