Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning move to Canada next year and would like to take my 2004 Prius with me. I have the Option 9 / BC Package (and also would need to purchase a DVD which shows Canadian roads!)

I understand that the Prius has the following features with can be easily configured to meet regulations in Canada:
- the Touch Display can configured in English and French
- Odometer and Speedometer can toggle between MPH and KMH
- and that a Toyota Dealership can activate the Daytime Running Lights

Has anyone imported a US Prius into Canada?
What kinds of inspections are required and does the Canadian Government require modifications?
And how much would the modifications cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It would appear that the HID lights-equipped models (including package BC) can *NOT* have daytime running lights turned on. It is a limitation of the HID lights. Second, only the speedometer goes into metric, the odometer stays in U.S. miles.

I honestly haven't checked to see what languages the MFD can display. I know it has more than just English available, though.

But, because of the first two, I don't think it will be legal in Canada.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What kind of limitation? I can always turn on HID lights manually and keep them on the entire day. That is what I do now and that is what I am going to do with my upcoming prius.

HID light don't like frequent on/off but what wrong with keeping then on beats me. BTW, in Scandinavia there are plenty cars with HID light and they all have daytime running lights since it is required by law.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I wasn't implying that HID lights CAN'T be DRLs (although now that I read it, it sure looks like it,) only that Toyota's implementation can't. Yes, just leaving them on all the time accomplishes the same thing, but I thought it was actually illegal to import a car that didn't have them. (In fact, leaving the 'real' headlights on all the time is safer, since it also turns on the tail lights. Although I don't buy the argument that DRLs are inherently UNSAFE because of that.)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
well you have to have them installed somehow. Perhaps see if they can route the DRL to the side markers? Would that work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts