Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the list to get the 2006 but can't make my mind up between the two. Does anybody who has either have any strong thoughts either way? The silver is a classic color (hence the classic silver metallic name) but the white looks so clean and rich, kinda like an Ipod or Imac rolling down the road.

Chime in if you have any thoughts! Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm on the list to get the 2006 but can't make my mind up between the two. Does anybody who has either have any strong thoughts either way?*********************************************
Car color is such a personal choice. I chose WHITE due it's ability to reflect radiant heat and overall "sanitary" look. It doesn't show dust or water spots and us S CA folks don't see much mud. (get the dark gray interior)
** I parked beside a Seaside Blue Prius recently and have to admit that it looked great. I think that would be my second choice. ~JD~

·
Registered
101 Posts
I rarely see a metallic anything that looks good after a few years. Once the clearcoat goes and/or the paint weathers, the oxidation of the metallic paint - be it any color - looks pretty bad. Most of the solid colors will buff back up, but the metallics I've buffed usually end up down to the undercoat which then requires a repaint.

·
Registered
370 Posts
duststarziggy said:
I'm on the list to get the 2006 but can't make my mind up between the two. Does anybody who has either have any strong thoughts either way? The silver is a classic color (hence the classic silver metallic name) but the white looks so clean and rich, kinda like an Ipod or Imac rolling down the road.

Chime in if you have any thoughts! Thanks.
Ziggy,

I see you're in Orange County too. I personally love the white, but did not get it for a couple reasons:

1. OCTA has a fleet of Priuses and every one of them was white.

I don't see them too much anymore, but 10 months ago (when I purchased), they were everywhere. 90% of the Priuses I saw were from the OCTA fleet. It got to the point that I was sick of seeing the white ones everywhere I went.

http://www.ocprius.com/unusual.html

2. I like the tan interior. I don't know if white comes with tan, but all the white ones I saw had the gray. This ruled out silver for me as well.

I'm perfectly happy with Tideland, especially now that it's being discontinued.

DGStan

·
Registered
101 Posts
dgstan said:
I like the tan interior. I don't know if white comes with tan, but all the white ones I saw had the gray. This ruled out silver for me as well.
My white one came with the tan (which is now covered beneath a thick coat of wool).

An aside. When I had a dark colored car I noticed I collected more door dings and chips. I haven't had one in 4 months of ownership with the white color. I wonder if the old artist's adage that white appears closer than black makes people less likely to swing their doors's out further and strike the white car?

Then, maybe it's the car's thinness too?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read somewhere (here or PriusChat) that white paint contains colorants that increase the chance of rust. Can anyone confirm that?

That said, I love white. My previous car was white, but I will probably opt for the Seaside Pearl for myPrius, unless a white one comes in first and I just can resist :p .

This doesn't help, but I like the silver too. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dgstan:

I know what you mean about the OCTA, I thought the same thing too. I'm up in LA often as well and the City of Beverly Hills drives white Prii as well. That said I still love the white, and the silver too. Might come down to a coin flip. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
duststarziggy said:
dgstan:

I know what you mean about the OCTA, I thought the same thing too. I'm up in LA often as well and the City of Beverly Hills drives white Prii as well. That said I still love the white, and the silver too. Might come down to a coin flip. Thanks.
...or just leave it to fate. Tell your dealer that you'll take either - and see which one comes in first!

·
Registered
30 Posts
For 2006, White is available with Ivory or Grey interior. Silver is available in Grey interior only. Ivory doesn't look as good as grey. White hides scratches better than any other color.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would go with the white. I've known folks who always go for silver cars because it is "more futuristic" or it reminds them of the suits of armor in the classic "Excalibur", but after about three years, the luster of the paint job is gone and you are left with a gray car. An additional consideration is pollen season when every surface is covered in that yellow, grainy grit...white cars don't show that as badly...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the proud owner of a Silver 2005 and chose it over the White (my first test drive was a white one... I just think the silver looks sleeker). I've had other silver cars and love how well the color hides dirt. Besides, the white makes me think of rental cars. I love the gray interior as well. However, color is definitely a personal preference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
JDavies said:
I chose WHITE due it's ability to reflect radiant heat and overall "sanitary" look.
I don't mean to nitpick, but the various paint colors should reflect "radiant heat" or infrared radiation about the same, that is to say, very little. They will all look black in the infrared (although I suppose it's possible for silver metallic paint to have enough metal particles in it to reflect some IR). White paint will be cooler than all the other colors because it will reflect away more of the visible light in sunlight. (White looks white because it reflects all the color wavelengths in the spectrum.) Of course, the material in the roof liner will provide some insulation. The key to keeping a car cool is to use tinted glass to keep out sunlight. It also helps to crack a window and allow some ventilation. In summary, if a cooler car is what you want, white will be best, but dark tinted glass is more important.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts