Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out running errands in my family's Prius this evening and when my passenger got out at the bank to withdraw some money I wasn't sure if I should turn the car off or let it run.
I know with internal combustion engines (non-hybrid cars) they say to just shut off the engine if you will be idling for more than 30 seconds (within reason). So I was wondering what your take on the situation would be, you sitting in front of the bank waiting for your friend to withdraw money probably about a 5 minutes overall. Turn it off? Leave it on?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'd just leave it on, turn off the A/C and wind down the windows. Since the A/C runs off the battery when the engine is off, turning that off minimises drain on the battery allowing you to stay in EV for longer.

Although in reality, 8 mins will only "drain" one bar if you're at 6 bars but why use it for A/C when you can use it for driving?

·
Registered
457 Posts
" I wasn't sure if I should turn the car off or let it run."
For short stops, when you're not leaving the car, it really doesn't matter. If it's very hot/cold you can leave the climate control running and the gas engine will cut in if the battery needs some juice. If you leave it running, hit the PARK button. One way or the other, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I tend to leave it on.
As others have said the battery drain is quite low. Also, if you shut down you're forcing another warm-up cycle and richer fuel burn which may, ultimately not only impact mpg slightly, but create more emissions as well.

Long stops/waits of 20 minutes or more I'd definately shut down unless you need to keep it running for climate control or something.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
But, if you, the driver, are leaving the car unattended turn it off. Obviously an unattended vehicle that is on can be stolen, hybrid or not.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I agree with leaving the car on if you are going to stand while in the car, say for a passenger to run a quick errand.

However I disagree on the potential power usage. The AC compressor can take quite a bit of energy on really hot and humid days. Sill, it is lower than a conventional car, and the ICE will run only occasionally to maintain the traction battery charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.