Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a number of occasions where the car is warm, the battery charge is showing in the mid-range and the ICE will not turn off while I am in motion. I could even be on a slight downhill going around 30 MPH -- I ease off the accelerator, allow the MFD to show that I am charging for a second and then gently return to the accelerator and the ICE is still running.

The only remedy I've found when this occurs is to come to a complete stop. Then it takes up to 5 seconds before I can feel the ICE shutdown. At this point my problem is solved (for this episode). I can pull away and the ICE will start and stop as I would expect (comes on when needed, goes/stays off when not needed).

I told this to a Prius-owning colleague a month or so back and he thought it strange and said he never had it happen. Just this week, however, he said it happened to him as well.

Any thoughts why this is happening or how I can prevent it? It is annoying to have to bring the car to a complete stop to get it working correctly. Again, this is not a consistent problem, happens occasionally.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ken. I had not read that before. Seems odd some of the things the Prius computer does, but I guess it is optimizing the emissions or some such thing. This does seem to describe my situation because the car is running as I would expect in what I guess is Stage 2, and then goes into a stage where it will not shut off (Stage 3). When I bring it to a stop and let the ICE shut down, this forces Stage 4. OK, got it!

Thanks for the response!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Ever had a computer program that seemed to have a mind of its own. I have. I've even owned computers that seemed to do what they wanted when they wanted. So long as it didn't crash or destroy my date, I never worried much about it. These were usually office machines where admins had set up disk scans or virus scans during the day, however until I realized that, having a HD spin up and run continuously for a few minutes on end while I was working on something unrelated was kind of disconcerting.

Anyway, the Prius does things which either benefit emissions or fuel economy. You sometimes wish it wouldn't, however I have come to trust the programming of the vehicle and its functionality.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree in many respects, however, I, like many Prius owners, am seeking optimal gas mileage. I know that my mileage is less optimal if the ICE won't shut off. When I read the link provided by Ken, it seems to indicate that coming to a full stop for 5 to 10 seconds forces it into Stage 4 (where you can glide or run in what they call golf cart mode). If you don't make this type of stop, I guess you are doomed to perpetual Stage 3 (ICE always on) which seems inefficient to me.

Maybe the stage description provided at the link is incomplete ... I hope so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts