Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 with over 90,000mi gave me the triangle and car with the !. The ICE would only run for a few seconds, then stop, but the car would remain ready. I could drive the car using the battery, but could not get the ICE to start (heavy acceleration, air conditioning on, etc). I didn’t want to damage anything so I had it towed to a Toyota Dealer. I don’t have any codes.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
582 Posts
no ICE

The stored codes should send the servicers in the correct direction. Lacking those my first guess would be a new engine control module (ECM)replaced according to TSB EG011-03. You can read this TSB and others in the files group of the Yahoo toyota-prius-sat1 group.

If this is the case and since you are past 80k miles, it may be a money thing. If so see the Yahoo toyota-prius group messages and see if Eric Metzler still has his ECM for sale.

But wait, there's more - if your accelerator butterfly is gummed shut with soot it will be easy for them to clean. The fuel injectors should also be easy to clean if needed. Valve adjustments are rare but they have happened - did the ICE sound markedly different in recent months?

If there is some other cause...well let's just wait and see. But in all the cases I can remember, the fix was readily determinable. Just not necessarily cheap. Please post followup message.

DAS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only other symptom is the ICE did run rough the last time the car started while running the error indicators came on. I turned it off and did not drive it for the rest of the day. The next day the ICE would not stay running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The codes are as follows. p3191 - c1259, c1551, p3101
I was told the engine ecu needs to be replaced. this would be about $1,600.

Do these codes make sense? Are these computers a good thing or a bad thing? This is a lot of $$

Please help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
eadebroux said:
The codes are as follows. p3191 - c1259, c1551, p3101
I was told the engine ecu needs to be replaced. this would be about $1,600.

Do these codes make sense? Are these computers a good thing or a bad thing? This is a lot of $$

Please help.
P3191 : Engine Does Not Start ( Lots of "Trouble Area" )
C1259 : HV System Regeneretive Malfunction ( Your Hybrid Control System needs to be checked )
C1551 : IG Power Source Voltage Malfunction ( There is an open or short in the IG power source circuit with the power switch on (IG) : Trouble Area : ECU-IG Fuse / IG power source circuit / Power steergin ECU assembly

Didn't find p3101, only p3102 ( transmission )

Do you have anything plugged in to your service port ( like a scanner ? )

Attila

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't even know where the service port is. I don't believe anything is plugged into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to the dealer CSM today. The bad part is actually the ECM. It has a 8yr/80,000mi warranty. I have over 90k, they will not help me. Am I overlooking something? a 5 year old car, 90,000 miles, and 1 part that costs $1,600 on a Toyota. This, I do not call reliability!

Does anyone have any other information that could help me?

·
Registered
582 Posts
no ICE

Hi eadebroux, unless you have previously had TSB EG011-03 performed, a new engine control module is probably appropriate. If Metzler's (previously mentioned) is not available, the salvage yards (such as LKQ) are another possible source. You are looking for Toyota part # 89661-47054. Earlier version #s vary in the last two digits. You don't want anything before # 89661-47051.

Atilla provided useful info on the codes, but it seems early to declare other systems failed. I am always watchful of the ignition switch, especially if your key chain is heavy. P3101 is yet another "engine did not start fast enough" code mentioned in TSB EG011-03.

Based on your no-start history, I cannot assume that the ECM alone is sufficient. There may be cleaning needed in the fuel system, or in the throttle body (accelerator butterfly). These are not difficult, but much depends on whether your servicers are up to the task. The need for valve adjustments is certainly possible, but perhaps uncommon at only 90k miles.

The "service port" mentioned is above and between the driver's left knee and ankle. Please keep up posted! I wish you were in southern California and I could refer you to a really good shop.

DAS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Dealer CSM said that the district manager indicated that no help would be comming. I called the corporate # again today and was told that this case should have been sent to the Prius group. I now have a new case # and I am waiting for a call from corporate.

I did find the part online for $760.00. But I'm not sure If I would like to try replacing the ECM myself.

Does anyone have experience with this work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
eadebroux said:
My 2001 with over 90,000mi gave me the triangle and car with the !. The ICE would only run for a few seconds, then stop, but the car would remain ready. I could drive the car using the battery, but could not get the ICE to start (heavy acceleration, air conditioning on, etc). I didn’t want to damage anything so I had it towed to a Toyota Dealer. I don’t have any codes.

Any Ideas?
I'm having trouble somewhat similar in description from yours. My dealer is telling me that insufficient oil change has caused engine seizure. The consensus of other opinions is that that's crap - especially since the engine did actually start and run when it left my place to be towed to the dealer.

They are also telling me it's battery replacement time. I got codes P3191, P3000, and P3101 --- engine system malfunction.

Will an '01 survive 100,000 miles without $5,000 in repairs?? That's the question???

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
geewhiz said:
I'm having trouble somewhat similar in description from yours. My dealer is telling me that insufficient oil change has caused engine seizure. The consensus of other opinions is that that's crap - especially since the engine did actually start and run when it left my place to be towed to the dealer.

They are also telling me it's battery replacement time. I got codes P3191, P3000, and P3101 --- engine system malfunction.

Will an '01 survive 100,000 miles without $5,000 in repairs?? That's the question???
The dealer you are working with doesn't know what he is talking about. Scoop the car up and take it to another dealer, even if you have to pay for the tow, you need to talk with another dealer that is actually going to do their job, pull codes, read books and talk to Toyota before telling you that you car needs a lot of work it doesn't need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
jeromep said:
geewhiz said:

The dealer you are working with doesn't know what he is talking about. Scoop the car up and take it to another dealer, even if you have to pay for the tow, you need to talk with another dealer that is actually going to do their job, pull codes, read books and talk to Toyota before telling you that you car needs a lot of work it doesn't need.
If anyone can help suggest an alternative, please! Right now I'm working with Steven's Creek in San Jose, which has a very good reputation....!?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The P3191/P3101 engine failed to start code is getting rather common on the 2001 Prius (and some of the newer Classics in colder temperatures). Basically, one of the ECUs doesn't wait long enough for the gasoline engine to start (particularly for those in colder climates), and just halts the startup process with warning lights and doesn't go into READY. You can ignore it for now, just restart the car again (and after 3-4 reboots the lights will go away), but if you are still under warranty or have the extended warranty you should have your dealer do a fuel system check and then replace the necessary ECU. You may also want to clean any soot off of the throttle body butterfly valve assembly, as that also could be a source of the problem (even more so if it is from the bad lot mentioned in the Canadian SSC below). Improper oil fill could also cause the codes, too, in any Prius.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 011-03.pdf

US TSB EG011-03

June 12, 2003, Master, Hybrid & M.I.L. "ON" P3190/P3191 & P3101, 2001-2003 Prius. Replaces TSB EG012-02. (Fix: may replace circuit opening relay assembly, ECM (engine control module), and/or fuel tank assembly.)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 050-04.gif

US TSB EG050-04

December 20, 2004. ENGINE OIL SPECIFICATIONS. 2001-2005 Prius. (Incorrect engine oil viscosity or improper fill level may result in a M.I.L. "ON" condition (most common Diagnostic Trouble Code P3191 "Engine does not start"). Use SAE 5W-30 API grade SL "Energy Conserving" oil and use proper fill quantity.)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Can ... %20313.pdf

Canadian Customer Satisfaction Campaign 313

Oct. 15, 2003. INSPECTION AND/OR REPLACEMENT OF THE THROTTLE BODY.

as for info on Eric Metzler's 2001 Prius (184,000 miles in ME) where he just replaced the ECU per the TSB EG011-03, see:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/90967
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/90794
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/89420

note, try some different online dealers for some discount parts prices! Perhaps you can just pay your local dealer the installation labor rate and you supply the part yourself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
you should be able to supply a part and bring it to the dealer with you for installation. if they have a problem, take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jury is IN: repair costs $0

Piercey Toyota in San Jose just won themselves a new customer --- they took REALLY GOOD care of me, and the 01 Prius is running just fine. Now I'll take it in for the tuneup/maintenance/oil change it needs but we are good to go, and the headline says it all.

Thank you to you all on this board who urged me to look elsewhere for service!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
mrv said:
Canadian Customer Satisfaction Campaign 313

Oct. 15, 2003. INSPECTION AND/OR REPLACEMENT OF THE THROTTLE BODY.
Actually, combing through some of my archived data last night, there was a very limited service campaign in the US for this... SSC 30I, if my memory serves (I'm on a different computer now without access to those files...) Something like only 362 US Prius with the potential bad lot of throttle body assemblies. (Not to say that a dirty throttle body won't throw out the same code.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
DanMan32 said:
So give us the details!
It appears that the battery terminal modification was badly needed, but they replaced the battery because this dealer saw it was the Right Thing to do. With the HV system functioning as it should there appeared to be no problem with the rest of the vehicle!! However it was a bunch of good lessons for me - verify, get second opinions, adhere to manufacturer's schedules or take what comes, shop your dealers, use the Net!

·
Registered
582 Posts
wasn't the ICE

Glad to hear you are back on the road, geewhiz. Sounds like they found busbar corrosion on the HV battery, they replaced it, and there were no other engine issues?

DAS

·
Registered
52 Posts
posts like these make a 01 used prius even more temping... oh choices choices you guys still love your cars right? Even though there are some troublesome repairs!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts