Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I experienced two occasions when the ICE didn't shut down when I came to a stop--even when fully warmed up. While initially surprised and slightly alarmed, it made sense, even though each instance occurred for opposite reasons.

First was coming down a long gradual hill. I came to a stoplight and the ICE stayed on and even bucked a little, like it wanted to go off but didn't. The Energy display showed a fully charged battery (all green bars). I get the all green bars frequently in my normal commute over a mountain gap but never stop soon after traversing it. So I figure the staying on was a case of the ICE needing to prevent overcharging of the battery.

Second was looking for a space in a crowded airport parking garage, going about 5-10 MPH and not using the ICE. Finally, despite no increase in acceleration, the ICE came on. I think there were 3-4 purple bars for the battery, so in this case, the ICE needed to charge the battery.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It uses fuzzy logic, so as the SOC goes down, the 'sensitivity' of the HV ECU starting the ICE goes up.

As for full charge, there has been reports where the car stops and restarts the ICE at stops. If you ask me, this is a poor way to handle this. Just don't use the ICE!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts