Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after having the oil changed, I realized the ICE wasn't shutting down at traffic lights. Letting up on the gas was like driving my 4runner in second gear. I was about to turn around & take it back to the dealer when I had a flash of brilliance. Pulled over, put the car in park & the engine shut down. Put it in Drive & drove off with no more problems. It doesn't appear to be serious, or permanent, just a 'glitch', but it's sort of disconcerting to be coasting to a stop & see fuel consumption at 46 mpg instead of the usual 99.9

2005 Silver, option 6

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
It's possible that the ICE had not warmed up sufficently and thus keeps running until it reaches proper temperature. Mine does that in the cold weather and it's normal.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had similar behavior after my last car wash. The...well I can't call them idiots, because they didn't even respond to the big red idiot-light triangle...folks at the establsihment let the traction battery get real low...

I rebooted and that cleared the triangle...however when I drove away, I expected the car to start charging normally, but something was out of whack... Running at speed, nothing was going to the battery. Not only that, regeneration would not automagicly engage when I let off the gas... But it would switch on when I hit the brake, and continue if I then let off again.

I was 3/4 of the way to the dealership when I had the idea to pop it into B and back out... Once I did that, everything got better.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
melgish said:
I had similar behavior after my last car wash. The...well I can't call them idiots, because they didn't even respond to the big red idiot-light triangle...folks at the establsihment let the traction battery get real low...
I found that turning off the climate control system prior to getting the car washed is a good thing to do. With it on, on a hot or cold day, at least a couple of bars would go away during the wash. With it off, no bars have ever disappeared. I just thought this might be useful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Logan01 said:
Just after having the oil changed, I realized the ICE wasn't shutting down at traffic lights. Letting up on the gas was like driving my 4runner in second gear. I was about to turn around & take it back to the dealer when I had a flash of brilliance. Pulled over, put the car in park & the engine shut down. Put it in Drive & drove off with no more problems. It doesn't appear to be serious, or permanent, just a 'glitch', but it's sort of disconcerting to be coasting to a stop & see fuel consumption at 46 mpg instead of the usual 99.9

2005 Silver, option 6
It sounds like you may have inadvertantly bumped the shift lever and moved it to "BRAKE". I would select 'BRAKE" intentionally and see if the symptoms are the same. As was already mentioned, the engine may not have shut down at stops because it wasn't warm enough yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like you may have inadvertantly bumped the shift lever and moved it to "BRAKE". I would select 'BRAKE" intentionally and see if the symptoms are the same. As was already mentioned, the engine may not have shut down at stops because it wasn't warm enough yet.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll try turning on the "brake" today. - - Temp. wasn't the problem, 70 deg. day in Mobile, AL. I've driven it on 15 degree days too, not the same. Brake mode sounds likely.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OverTork

You nailed my problem. I drove a few blocks with the switch in "Brake". ICE didn't shut down when I stopped. Darned handle is too long & gets in the way :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts