Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished reading my Owner's Manual for the second time. I can't find any reference to changing the ICE's air filter. Is there one? If not, how do they keep dust, dirt, etc out of the throttle body and engine?

Fred 8)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well, there are all those little squirrels in the engine. That's what makes the car so energy efficient. Of course, not all the squirrels are running on the little wheel at one time. Some are resting. And when they rest, they have their little squirrel tails in the vent, as filter. Every now and then, when you're parked, the little squirrels have their tails washed and fluffed while they're out at the nut shoppe. :wink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I like the squirrel tail filter option. The 2006 Owner's Manual mentions checking/changing the cabin air filter on three pages, but no mention is made of the ICE air filter. However, the 2006 Maintenance Guide lists changing the ICE air filter at 30K miles, with
*'ed comments that state that in dusty areas the filter should be checked at 20K miles and in desert areas at 10K miles. Replace when dirty. Well, I live in San Diego = dusty, and I go to the Anza Borrego Desert once in a while, so I will start making air filter checks at 10K miles. It can't hurt.

So far, so good,

Fred 8)

·
Registered
157 Posts
River rat,

You will improve MPG big time by changing the engine air filter more frequently than Toyota suggests. I'd say 20K for a new one.

And hosing down with the shop vac every so often doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isabelle,

Noted. I will use 20K miles as the "replace the air filter" benchmark. Happy New Year.

Fred 8)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I concur with 20K. I might even do it at 15K, as it is starting to show dirty. Ironically, my home thermostat indicated my HVAC filter should be changed, but it looked fine. Will wait until the next cycle.

I am checking on what page the ICE filter is on, but I am currently unable to read my flashdrive with my laptop.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I changed mine today with 20K miles, and it was DIRTY! No dirt road driving, just smoggy LA. Changed the interior filter, too; likewise it was filthy.

Darn hard to find a FRAM at auto parts stores--found the first one since I bought the car, and it was the only one in the store!

·
Registered
12 Posts
K&N recommends you clean their air filters at evey oil change, not because they are dirty, rather because the efficiency is down. All modern filters trap almost all of the dirt regardless of how dirty they appear. It is the efficiency (the amount of air they pass) that is our main concern. This is not determined by mileage driven! Efficiency = MPG

You can put in a new filter and drive thru one good cloud of construction dust and cut your efficiency 30%. Who checks their filter the day after they put it in? Who even remembers the cloud of dust?

My method is to buy a new filter to have on hand. Then, about every other time I check the oil level, I take out the filter and hold the two filters side by side up to the sunlight. It is very easy to see the difference when the used one passes less light. When this difference is noticable I just put in the new one. RARELY does the used one look dirty enough to change, but sunlight doesn't lie.

Air filters, like oil, are too cheap and easy to change to run them too long.

Ed

P.S. I run K&N filters on vehicles where more power is an issue but the cleaning and oiling is a hassle. I won't bother with the Prius as it would actually have the opposite effect. I don't want the engine to draw more fuel and air for power, it's fine as is. Of course you may be into racing UPS trucks!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I changed my air filter at 25,000 miles and noticed a consistent 3 MPG increase. The old one looked pretty dirty but not entirely cruddy.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
hyperion said:
It just takes a couple minutes to pop the clips and take it out. Mine with 12,000 miles on it looks as good as the day I drove out of the dealership when new. It gets changed when it gets dirty!
You did look at the OTHER side of the filter, right? The side you see when you first take off the cover is the engine side.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Whoops -

I just found this thread. Did a search for "engine air filter" after I couldn't find it in the manual.

I'm at 30k miles, which is when changing it is recommended according to the service interval schedule. After seeing some of the above posts, now I'm afraid to look at it. Especially living in the Cruddiest Air City in the Country (Sorry, Houston!) eesh. :oops:

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Nearing 15,000 mi., I am interested in inspecting and possibly changing the ICE filter and cabin filter. In my 2005 manual, the only maintenance info I can locate is on pgs. 187-190 which describes replacing the AIR CONDITIONING filter--in front of the glove box. Is this the cabin filter? And where is the ICE air filter located and is it easy to change like a standard air filter?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Yeah, except they call it an air conditioner filter so I guess that's just another name for what is also known as the cabin filter. Thanks.

Hey, we're tie in posts at 194 :eek:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
2004 manual doesn't have info on changing the ICE filter either. But just looking at it with the hood open shows it is an easy thing to get to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
redwein said:
I changed my air filter at 25,000 miles and noticed a consistent 3 MPG increase. The old one looked pretty dirty but not entirely cruddy.
Just changed my engine air filter at 25,000 miles, also "not entirely cruddy". It was not quite dirty enough to change at 20,000 miles. Will now look for the MPG increase.

After two springtimes with my '04, I have decided to change the cabin air filter every year after the oak trees are done dropping their flowers and pollen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts