Toyota Prius Forum banner

I think the catalytic converter on my dad's prius could be causing sluggish acceleration if it's clogged

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  nickaa827 
#1 ·
We are the original owners of our 2005 Prius. I don't know how many miles ago, the hybrid battery was replaced. The car now has 230k miles on it. Ever since then, our prius has had problems with sluggish acceleration. Looking at youtube, I think that the problem could be the catalytic converter being clogged. Have you guys ever removed and cleaned the cat, or how does one go about this on a prius? It could also be the spark plugs, idk, I'm not sure when the last time those were done was.

Thanks,
Nick

#2 ·
We are the original owners of our 2005 Prius. I don't know how many miles ago, the hybrid battery was replaced. The car now has 230k miles on it. Ever since then, our prius has had problems with sluggish acceleration. Looking at youtube, I think that the problem could be the catalytic converter being clogged. Have you guys ever removed and cleaned the cat, or how does one go about this on a prius? It could also be the spark plugs, idk, I'm not sure when the last time those were done was.

Thanks,
Nick
From what you said I'd think it likely you are overdue for plugs. It is still possible you have a blocked cat converter but I'd do plugs first then if the problem persists go at the converter. You most likely are overdue for plugs irrespective of whether or not the cat converter has a problem. Good luck to you.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. I'll definitely try to do the spark plugs with him. Should we do the wires too?

Also I talked to my dad some more. He said that the electric motor doesn't come on early as it used to (meaning when he accelerates, the gas engine takes over sooner). Could this be signs that the motor is worn? He also told me he's never done the coolant for the battery cooling system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.