Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '02 about 10 weeks now and am very happy with the car. I average around 50-54 mpg depending on terrain and roads - no complaint there. I find that I monitor the bar graphs and try to maintain 50 mpg or better when ever it is possible.

I tried using the other screen with the pictures and arrows and find it all but impossible to maintain a zero arrow glide. I don't know if it is because of the roughly 2 second delay on the screen update or because the roads around here are not perfectly flat. What I find is that the slightest pedal movement takes it from battery-to-wheelpower back to wheelpower-to-battery and back and forth. It is almost impossible to hold it at no power flow for more than about a second or two. I have tried this at speed of between 20-40 mph with no luck. What am I missing, or is it harder to do this on a classic?

In anycase, I find that watching the mpg display gives me 50+ mpg which I think is good for a classic which was rated at only 52/45 or 48 average by EPA

·
Registered
669 Posts
I wasn't going to answer, since I have an '05, but ... I don't find it that trivial either. I can't do it at all unless I'm on a gentle downhill slope, and not above 25-30 mph except rarely (occasionally on the freeway the car will do this itself for a short period if hte conditions are exactly right). I'm not convinced it is worth the effort, personally. It's distracting and the amount of change I see in my average mileage under my driving conditions is pretty minimal. If you can find a very quiet place to practice, you may find you can hit it by feel... not so much the feel of hte pedal but the car rolls slightly more smoothly. Staring at the MFD while driving just isn't the right answer!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's why I just put it in Neutral. Achieves the same results, except the ICE won't change states. If it is off, it will stay off. If it is on, it will stay on. If you are already in drag, then ICE should be off (not drawing fuel), and thus going to Neutral should achieve glide results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mrv said:
If you remove your foot from the accelerator in a Classic, it will go immediately into regen. On a 2004-? Prius, there is a bit more coasting "glide" available, where you don't get any arrow flow.
I wonder if there really is more glide on 2004-, or if perhaps they just programmed a wider range where neither green "drag" or yellow "electric drive"shows". :?:

I don't know as I haven't driven a Classic. I do sense though on my 2005 that there is a bit of "drag" when gliding close to the threshold of going into green "regen" and suspect I am drawing on the battery at the other end of the coasting mode.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a good point, just because a computer display says something does not necessarily make it true. They may have made this range bigger just to make people feel better. It is just like the 2 second or so lag on the display, just because it only changes that often does not mean things are not happening in between.

I noticed something strange in that regard the other day when coasting at the magic 42 mph. The arrows were showing power from wheels to battery while coasting down hill with my foot off the gas. As the car gained a slight bit of speed the display flashed with power going from battery to wheels for a second and then jumped back to wheels to battery. I think there is some transition that must do this when it starts spinning the ICE once you go over that magic 42 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts