Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, the Prius gas gauge is very pessimistic. So I started to determine when to fill up by calculating the amount of gas used from my average mileage and the miles I had driven. I assumed that I could go until I had used 10 gallons (easy arithmetic) with 2 gallons left in the tank. Well, the other day I ran out of gas having averaged 47.9 miles per gallon and having traveled 478 miles. In other words, having used 10 gallons like I figured.

It seems reasonable to assume the calculations for mpg and miles travelled are accurate, so the only variable left is the starting number of gallons in the tank. It appears to be difficult to be sure that the tank is full each time. So, I'm going to have to be more conservative, perhaps filling up after having used 8 gallons, or perhaps having travelled 400 or 425 miles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
gas guage...

yeah, I've run out too, although it really wasn't on purpose...but maybe I was pushing it.
I was at 75 miles past the blinking bar, ave on the screen said 48 MPG, miles were at 508. I was only trying to get a 500-mile tank and was going to re-fuel on the way home from work, having succeeded in the 500-mile tank, but running late to work, couldn't re-fuel before. Big red triangle came on, engine shut off, check engine light came on. Got about a mile on electric only (20 MPH on the side of a 50 MPH 2-lane highway). Couldn't quite make it up and over a hill, gas station on the down side of that hill. The speedo display went out and the car was down to one pink bar, and wouldn't go anymore. Luckily I felt the impending no-go and got off the highway in a driveway, called my significant other and she brought gas. Never will I be able to live that down. She knows I try to max my Prius MPG out. Oh well, now I know.
Put 2 gallons in from a can, car started right up, after driving to the station over the hill (literally, 500 feet!), I put in 9.5 gallons. I never top off. All warning lights went out.
So, 75 miles past the blinking bar is my max. I've been there before at the 75 mile mark, made it to a gas station and put in 10.9 gallons. Temps this time were cooler (40 F), than last time (when I didn't run out! 65 F). Lesson learned. Love my Prius!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
jrturnbull said:
It seems reasonable to assume the calculations for mpg and miles travelled are accurate
If you are believing the MFD, than you are incorrect. After 53 tanks of gas, my MFD is reading a 3.0% higher MPG than what I've actually used.

see for yourself: http://home.cfl.rr.com/njfiorello/priuslog.xls

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only time I ran out of gas was after only 33 miles of the last bar blinking. I won't go very far now with it blinking.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The variation in the miles you can get out of a tank full is due to different reasons. This mostly has to due too the gas tank not being completly refilled during refueling. This can be caused by the car not being level during refueling. Also during cold weather the fuel tank blatter may be more stiff. A slower running gas pump will allow more time for the blatter to expand for the gas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jeffand said:
The variation in the miles you can get out of a tank full is due to different reasons. This mostly has to due too the gas tank not being completly refilled during refueling. This can be caused by the car not being level during refueling. Also during cold weather the fuel tank blatter may be more stiff. A slower running gas pump will allow more time for the blatter to expand for the gas.
More sensory than a bladder "problem" I think.

The sensor in the tank is not quite reliable ( range varies greatly when low values are measured ) and also reports zero value ('0') when there is still some gas left. The algorithm used in the Gas Gauge programming seems to trigger the blinking light once there was '0' reported. Most of the time though I see the value going up to almost 20% capacity after a '0' report... I had to develop my own "prediction" algorithms and once I got 80 miles extra after the blinking went off on the built-in gauge.

Toyota most definitely has a "silent recall" on this issue. If you go to a dealer and complain about the gas gauge being unreliable, they will ( have to ) fix it. It's a known issue in Toyota Service Depts.

Attila

PS: my response is based on my measurements :
http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/C ... ex.html#OC

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Silent Recall, Nah !

attila said:
Jeffand said:

The sensor in the tank is not quite reliable ( range varies greatly when low values are measured ) and also reports zero value ('0') when there is still some gas left. The algorithm used in the Gas Gauge programming seems to trigger the blinking light once there was '0' reported. Most of the time though I see the value going up to almost 20% capacity after a '0' report... I had to develop my own "prediction" algorithms and once I got 80 miles extra after the blinking went off on the built-in gauge.

Toyota most definitely has a "silent recall" on this issue. If you go to a dealer and complain about the gas gauge being unreliable, they will ( have to ) fix it. It's a known issue in Toyota Service Depts.

Attila

Attila, There is not such a thing as "Slent Recall" what ever TOYOTA DOES
is within the Toyota Service bulletin Policy. Also to point out.
We at TOYOTA
never have or had _Recall_ It is different than mandated Recall,
Toyota does a service campaign, yes but Recall is when NHTSA or DOT orders the Manufacturers to Recall those vehicle due to an
inminent "Danger" for those drivers driving an unsafe vehicle.
In the Toyota's
45 plus years history selling their vehicles in the States we had never had
this so called "Recall" but Service Campaign before anything may happens
to those drivers or vehicle. Every vehicle sold each model year Toyota keeps few of each series of the models sold and put them on the road on
a test-find-if-anyrthing-may wear out prematurely and if found to be the
case thus Service Campaign deployed. Never a "Recall"

FYI

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Silent Recall, Nah !

C.Rickey Hirose said:
attila said:
Jeffand said:

Attila

Attila, There is not such a thing as "Silent Recall" what ever TOYOTA DOES
We at TOYOTA
Toyota does a service campaign, yes but Recall is when NHTSA or DOT orders the Manufacturers to Recall those vehicle due to an
In the Toyota's
to those drivers or vehicle. Every vehicle sold each model year Toyota keeps few of each series of the models sold and put them on the road on

FYI
You are right, it was a poor choice of words. I apologize.

The problem still exists though and I was hoping that Toyota would openly acknowledge this issue and send Service Campaign notices. Also, do you happen to have an official statement on why the EV mode was left out from the US models?

Thank you,

Attila

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

attila said:
C.Rickey Hirose said:
attila said:
Jeffand said:

Attila

Attila, There is not such a thing as "Silent Recall" what ever TOYOTA DOES
We at TOYOTA
In the Toyota's

FYI
You are right, it was a poor choice of words. I apologize.

The problem still exists though and I was hoping that Toyota would openly acknowledge this issue and send Service Campaign notices. Also, do you happen to have an official statement on why the EV mode was left out from the US models?

Thank you,

Attila
EV mode deletion in US models. No Nation in the world enjoys the longest warranty provided for the Prius from the manufacturer. In this case the
Hybrid battery as long as 10 yrs/150.000 miles especially for CA and few other States. American people are very ingenious and at the same time very litigious. There is a certain area that is very dangerous by offering a
feature to certain export markets and not to others. American people travels these higways and freeways at higher velocity than let say congested cities of the world such as Tokyo, London, or Rome. the inner
reason of Toyota not _offering_ this feature to the States are very peculiar
but it is not proper for me to comment or divulge till exact known reason.
Will comment as soon as get info from the TMC litigation experts !

Toyota manipulates the HSD world sceanery !

·
Registered
99 Posts

C.Rickey Hirose said:
EV mode deletion in US models. No Nation in the world enjoys the longest warranty provided for the Prius from the manufacturer. In this case the
Hybrid battery as long as 10 yrs/150.000 miles especially for CA and few other States. American people are very ingenious and at the same time very litigious. There is a certain area that is very dangerous by offering a
feature to certain export markets and not to others. American people travels these higways and freeways at higher velocity than let say congested cities of the world such as Tokyo, London, or Rome. the inner
reason of Toyota not _offering_ this feature to the States are very peculiar
but it is not proper for me to comment or divulge till exact known reason.
Will comment as soon as get info from the TMC litigation experts !

Toyota manipulates the HSD world sceanery !
Can someone translate this for me?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

Ken S said:
I can guess. No EV in the US because it might screw up the battery life, etc., even by some moron not using it right. Long warranty in US (by law longer than in other countries) would cause Toyota to end up paying for the screwage. Or, if something screwed up, US drivers would sue Toyota more often. In cities and congested areas, EV is useful. US drivers drive often on highways, where EV is less useful. C.Rickey is guessing, and disclaiming. He doesn't want us to assume he is giving gospel, which we might in light of his Toyota salesperson status. He may or may not be checking with Toyota legalweenies to find out why no EV in US.

There. Translated best I could. :) Further affiant sayeth not. 8)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

Sanny said:
Ken S said:
I can guess. No EV in the US because it might screw up the battery life, etc., even by some moron not using it right. Long warranty in US (by law longer than in other countries) would cause Toyota to end up paying for the screwage. Or, if something screwed up, US drivers would sue Toyota more often. In cities and congested areas, EV is useful. US drivers drive often on highways, where EV is less useful. C.Rickey is guessing, and disclaiming. He doesn't want us to assume he is giving gospel, which we might in light of his Toyota salesperson status. He may or may not be checking with Toyota legalweenies to find out why no EV in US.

There. Translated best I could. :) Further affiant sayeth not. 8)
Sanny-San. What an astute and probing mind you have ! Read my mind
do you have ESP capability ? yes very true, there is more to say but can't
I do work for Toyota Sales at the Dealer level and some info can not be divulged.
For all those adapting the back-yard EV deployment can be in a big and costly trouble later...

Oh, what a clever and imaginative-analising bunch in this group !

My Father once said, Learn form the Americans then catch up to them
and Surpass them ! HSD is the 1st prelude of better things to come....
From Toyota Corp.
EV full capability on the way ? Once they incorporate the hyper- ultra-fast
Lithium Ion Battery+ Nano tech + HSD II !

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hirose san,
Please, please, please spell it "analyzing", not "analising."

Unless you intended to make an off-color joke :oops:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
RSnyder said:
Please, please, please spell it "analyzing", not "analising."...
well, I prefer that to "analicing." Yeesh! ;)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sanny said:
RSnyder said:
is that when you're freezing your backside off? Or decorating it like a cake :p

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melgish said:
Sanny said:
RSnyder said:
is that when you're freezing your backside off? Or decorating it like a cake :p
Neither sounds very nice, if you ask me. YUCK!

·
Registered
548 Posts

C.Rickey Hirose said:
My Father once said, Learn form the Americans then catch up to them
and Surpass them !
Yeah, you guys made a big splash in the computer market in the 80s... excuse me while I go boot up my IBM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts