Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I drove the Saturn, just to get it out on the highway. Today I'm back in the Prius, but missing my good old manual transmission.

Maybe I can get an after market mod to simulate one :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Bite toungue. Do not make suggestion. :roll:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just make vrooom vrooom noises (with appropriate pauses and pitch differences for gear changes) while you drive Prius. You can even move your left foot up and down and pretend to use the clutch! Put a bottle of water in the cup holder, and pretend it's the shift. :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hep said:
I thought of that too. It's just not the same.

Sanny said:
Put a bottle of water in the cup holder, and pretend it's the shift
Hmm... that idea has promise, as long as the water isn't Evian ... 'cause that's just those pesky French thinking we're too naive to know that it's naive spelled backwards....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm still thinking about getting an Insight with a stick for those times when it's just me and my violin... :)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Took my " Twin Turbo" SUPRA out yesterday !

Stick Shift , Try the 6 speed Manual in a 97 Twin Turbo Toyota Supra !
It is a blast ! Had it garaged all this winter, just start the engine every week for _Lube_ only. Took it out yesterday. I have re-encountered lots
of ponies and the G force ! Beeing driving customers Prius from time to time. May be I can be permitted to buy my own PRII soon ! The inventory of the Prii is getting better. I need that "toyota employee discount" and when I do get the Prius. _Project Convertible_ ! No kidding, I will chop the
roof off ! I have been talking to chassis engineers, toyota corp-Japan in
order to find out more in order to keep structual rigidity close to stock Prius and so on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
this will sound kinda strange (as many of my "contributions" do) but i dont miss the stick shift on my prius. ive had manuals since the 70s my last being an 02 mercedes benz Kompressor with a great and fun 6 speed.hubba hubba!.at first id did miss it but then as i became used to the 21st century relaxed but dignified personality of "smiley" i found a 6 speed to not be appropriate. very stange but true. any other car and id be bitching. drive it some more and see if you dont agree with me.now when they bring the 427 hemi prius out THAT will be another story!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Humm, I'm absolutely relieved that I don't have to deal with a stick shift anymore! A few years back when I started researching hybrid cars, I was completely turned off by the Insight as it ONLY came in stick. I've driven stick all my life and wanted to go to a more relaxed mode of driving. I finally decided on the classic prius, only to discover the new 04 models were coming out. So I waited a little and now am the proud owner of this little gem. From day one I've appricated the lack of a clutch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:shock:

Once I get my Prius it will be no more stickshifts for me. It's bad enough driving through twenty miles of bumber to bumper traffic twice a day in an automatic. But in a stickshift! Clutch in, clutch out; clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out. Over and over and over. By the time I get home I'm walking with a limp.

:evil:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope that it's like riding a bicycle. That shifting skill. That is, do you think I'll lose that shifting skill after a few years of Prius driving?

·
Registered
508 Posts
kidtwist said:
:shock:
It's bad enough driving through twenty miles of bumber to bumper traffic twice a day in an automatic. But in a stickshift! Clutch in, clutch out; clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out. Over and over and over. By the time I get home I'm walking with a limp.
Amen, brother. I don't miss my 5-spd Saturn one bit, especially with the even-worse-than-usual freeway traffic around here due to post-rainstorm alternate road closures.

If I lives somewhere without perpetually hideous traffic, I'd feel differently, but here, I've left stick-shift-land and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stickshift

I last had a stickshift on my 1987 Corolla GT with 5 on the floor. The sweetest clutch/gearbox combo you could for...

These days, being that much older and caring less about burning rubber and more about burning fuel, I am every day just more and more appreciative of the HSD. By far and away the most relaxing car I have ever driven, includes my wife's Lexus ES 300. That car is, as she puts it an armchair on wheels, but the sheer relaxation of MYBRID beats it hands down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts