Toyota Prius Forum banner

I know someones gonna go patent this as soon as I mention it

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  frenchie 
#1 ·
Ok greenies, techies, and cheapies, heres an idea for ya.

Sterling Engines.

Why doesnt toyota or honda add one of these to an existing hybrid to increase efficency? Think about it for a minute, whats the biggest by product of the ICE besides exaust? HEAT! Why not use that to our advantage? Use the preradiated coolant to heat a gas chamber (regular air should work), pump that into the hot side of the sterling engine, and just use and air inlet from the outside for the cold side? I'm not sure how small you could make one or how efficent it is, but considering you really wouldnt have to put any energy into it besides heat, and you can get electricty out it could have alot of potential. I cant seem to find any information on anyone using this in a hybrid format. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
toxygen, Sterling, Otto, Diesel, Atkinson, Miller engines are all well-known thermal engines. Basically, all has been invented at the end of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th. All what occurred after were refinements. They all use heat and convert a fraction of it into mechanical work. Now the question is : how much (efficiency) ? at what rate (power) ? at what cost ? at what mass for a given power ?

Have a look at the picture (and caption) in the link you've posted. It's a 2.5 metres length, 1300 kg Sterling engine producing a whopping 55 kW electrical output. Have a look at the "Problems with Stirling engines" paragraph too.

You've got the answer. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.