Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all!

I only had my baby 2004 prius 1 month when My boyfriend and I were on a road trip and hit a moose at night time. The result? Well the moose went right through the windshield and ripped off the roof of my car. the Moose ripped up my dash board pretty well too. Insurance quoted the damage at 19,000 and are fixing it at a local body shop. I'll need a new Hood, New Rood, Wind Shield, Steering wheel column, all the interior needs replaced (cause all the moose blood and chunks.) The main concern is does the local body shop know what they are doing? We have used the body shop many times before and they do beautiful work on all our other cars but the prius is complex. Although the only damage under the hood was a dent on the hybrid synergy cover. I'm still concerned. Should I BE?

·
Registered
397 Posts
christieb0825 said:
Hey y'all!

I only had my baby 2004 prius 1 month when My boyfriend and I were on a road trip and hit a moose at night time. The result? Well the moose went right through the windshield and ripped off the roof of my car. the Moose ripped up my dash board pretty well too. Insurance quoted the damage at 19,000 and are fixing it at a local body shop. I'll need a new Hood, New Rood, Wind Shield, Steering wheel column, all the interior needs replaced (cause all the moose blood and chunks.) The main concern is does the local body shop know what they are doing? We have used the body shop many times before and they do beautiful work on all our other cars but the prius is complex. Although the only damage under the hood was a dent on the hybrid synergy cover. I'm still concerned. Should I BE?
Wow! That's pretty scary. Congrats on making it out alive. Too bad your insurer is trying to repair the car instead of writing it off. If you haven't kicked up a fuss, you might think about doing so. As for body work, I don't think there's anything about the Prius that would prevent your local shop from performing the same quality work you have received from them in the past.
Drive happy,
Moo(se) :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm glad you're ok, even if your car is pretty close to totalled. I agree with moo that it doesn't sound like the body shop will have any harder time with your Prius than they would with other cars since it doesn't sound like the high voltage electrical systems were affected. You'll have the standard concerns about whether it will ever seem well aligned again.

Normally, I would be tempted to take the money and use it toward a new car, making up the balance yourself. But unless you have another car you can use for a while, you'll either have to give up on having a 2004 Prius, or do without a car while you wait for one to become available. Once you've gotten over the shock of losing your Prius, you might consider hunting down a low mileage 2001-03 Prius. Admittedly, it's a step down from your 2004, but Mr. Moose pretty much told you that you won't be driving the pristine car you thought you would be driving.

I pray the rest of your driving career is far less eventful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
repair or replace?

Normally, I'd agree that you would be better off having the car totalled and collecting the money...but you would likely not see another Prius given the enormous demand. If you know the body shop does good work and you trust them, your Prius will probably be ok whenever they get done. I don't think there is anything in the body itself that should stump them; the really hard stuff to replace is the quantum sycrastic inverse modulum drive and the phase inverters. Used to be that they killed unlicensed mechanics who figured out how these systems work, but recently, they've loosened up.
Good luck, keep us posted. I'm especially interested in knowing how they fix your car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK. I'd write-off the vehicle. Chances are that something will be missed the first time around. You'll probably find something that wasn't repaired 2-3 months after the work was completed. It may be a hassle to get the insurance company to pay for more work after they thought the work was done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hit a moose (no D) he he

You see I did throw quite a fuss. The insurance appraised my 25K prius at 29K. So they wouldn't total it. I told them if it even smelled funny they woud fix it. (it in fact does smell really gross) They reassured my that the entire car would be in the exact same condition it was before the accident. The accident happened on may 1st and they just barley got in all the parts and started working on it. They have to replace the seat fabric, carpeting door panel seat belts, etc due to the moose blood.
I am lucky to be alive and I got out of the accident with a bump on my head and a hurt back. My boyfriend on the other hand wasn't as lucky. The moose went through the windshield and hit him in the face. It broke his arm, his jaw, his nose, and he got several fractures on his skull. he also got a laceration on his eye, and will require a cornea transplant.
I should post some pictures of my car. Strange thing is the air bags didn't go off......kinda upset about that. But I guess the moose didn't really slow us down or anything. We did skid along a gaurd rail too and they still didn't go off. Can anyone exaplain that to me too?

PS sorry about the different screen name, I tried to log on this morning and it said it was inactive....don't know what that means.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: I hit a moose (no D) he he

christieb08255 said:
You see I did throw quite a fuss. The insurance appraised my 25K prius at 29K.
Now that's just crazy. Will insurance companies stop at nothing to manipulate their customers? If you had been driving, say, a restored 1969 Mustang, I suspect their willingness to factor fair market into their appraisal would dissappear. It probably wouldn't help, but I'd call the offices of my state's attorney general and insurance commissioner just to see if they think this is an acceptable practice.

I am lucky to be alive and I got out of the accident with a bump on my head and a hurt back. My boyfriend on the other hand wasn't as lucky. The moose went through the windshield and hit him in the face. It broke his arm, his jaw, his nose, and he got several fractures on his skull. he also got a laceration on his eye, and will require a cornea transplant.
I am so sorry and wish you both a quick and complete recovery.

As for your airbags not deploying, one can only assume that the moose was so tall it barely grazed the front of the car.

Good luck,
Moo :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: I hit a moose (no D) he he

christieb08255 said:
Strange thing is the air bags didn't go off......kinda upset about that. But I guess the moose didn't really slow us down or anything. We did skid along a gaurd rail too and they still didn't go off. Can anyone exaplain that to me too?
As you indicated, the moose did not hit the front of the car, rather mainly the windshield area. As such, the car did not see this as a frontal crash since the sensors in the bumper area were not affected. The air bags going off would not have done you any good anyway.

The side air bags, if you have them, also did not go off since this was not a side impact and those sensors were not affected. Skidding along a guard rail is not considered a side impact.

It would appear to me that things operated as intended. Not that it helps with the moose damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hit a moose

That's what I thought too. The impact on my car was as if something dropped on it, cause moose do have really long legs. Too bad, I do agree with the fair market value..... Insurance does only include it if it's for their benefit.
Another crazy thing is the State of Utah is charging me $1,000 worth of property damage for the moose that was killed. Isnt that crazy?

Thanks for all the replys and prayers. They are really sweet! You guys rock!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: I hit a moose

Scary stuff Christie. I hope that you both have a speedy recovery (and decent medical coverage.) Does a cornea transplant completely repair his vision or will it just allow him to see blurs and outlines etc? I didn't know they were doing it as a pretty standard routine now... Does one "donate" corneas upon death or is this a synthetic type thing? Scary! My eyes started watering the second I heard that... Quick recoveries to you both!!

Another crazy thing is the State of Utah is charging me $1,000 worth of property damage for the moose that was killed. Isnt that crazy?
Is it the state animal or an endangered species or something? I can absolutely understand if it was. I know there were fines involving certain salmon and owl species in WA for hunters, developers, etc. If it was none of the above I don't see how they can do that as "property damage" unless they're hitting you up for a new guard rail... Maybe the removal of the body, but charging you $1000 for the act of involuntarily killing a moose when you were driving at night time... Hmm... Did they give any info regarding this species' "status"? Any UT residents know if a moose is your state animal?
(Either way, still sucks... Like you didn't have enough to worry about already...)

Again, quickest recoveries to you, your b/f and your baby :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hit a moose

Brad,

Your a sweetie. Thanks for you kind words. A Cornea is a Transplant from A donor, doctors agree that full eyesight recovery is very likely. He also needs a new lense, but that is synthetic.
As for the moose, not endangered or protected. The state of Utah has an annoying habit of charging motorists for hitting animals. Deer $200, elk $150, Id really like to see the value charts. Didnt do any damage to the guard rail. (I called and asked the state if that was the charge.) I think I got charged more for hitting a pregnant moose too. Bummer.

Christie the moose hunter

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

christieb08255 said:
...The state of Utah has an annoying habit of charging motorists for hitting animals. Deer $200, elk $150, Id really like to see the value charts. Didnt do any damage to the guard rail...
So did you at least get to keep the moose and eat well for a few weeks?

·
Registered
30 Posts

christieb08255 said:
As for the moose, not endangered or protected. The state of Utah has an annoying habit of charging motorists for hitting animals. Deer $200, elk $150, Id really like to see the value charts. Didnt do any damage to the guard rail. (I called and asked the state if that was the charge.) I think I got charged more for hitting a pregnant moose too. Bummer.
I can see if it was a large domestic animal like someone's horse or a cow, charging something for the loss to the owner, but a wild animal?!? :shock: That you hit by accident while driving? It's not like you went hunting out of season on purpose. That's the most outrageous law I've heard of in quite a while. Hope that never reaches other states as a money making thing. Can you imagine? Most everyone living East of the Mississippi would never be able to go out at night!

Hope your Prius is fully restored to your liking, with no icky smells! And hope your boyfriend gets better, soon, too.

·
Registered
397 Posts

christieb08255 said:
The state of Utah has an annoying habit of charging motorists for hitting animals. Deer $200, elk $150, Id really like to see the value charts.
That is interesting. I wonder if it is meant as a deterrent or to offset the costs of carcass disposal or... what? I don't get it. If it's the former, I doubt anyone wants to run into a moose, except maybe BIF who would seize the moment and stock his freezer. :) I think I'll bring this up with the mayor. My town could make a small fortune on dead possum alone.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

moocatdog said:
...I doubt anyone wants to run into a moose, except maybe BIF who would seize the moment and stock his freezer. :) ...
Hmmm, there's a thought. I wonder, what does moose taste like? Um..please don't tell me it "tastes like chicken!" :roll:

Maybe the payment goes to the moose's family? :p

·
Registered
884 Posts

If they have to replace the roof, you might want to consider converting your car to a convertible. There are some custom shops that convert Camaros and other sporty cars that don't come as convertibles to rag tops. Maybe one of them would take on your car as a special project.

·
Registered
248 Posts

BIF said:
moocatdog said:
...I doubt anyone wants to run into a moose, except maybe BIF who would seize the moment and stock his freezer. :) ...
Hmmm, there's a thought. I wonder, what does moose taste like? Um..please don't tell me it "tastes like chicken!" :roll:
:p
Moose is quite good. My favorite of the larger game meats I have tasted I would rate them Moose, Elk, Bison, Venison, in that order. Moose is some how sweeter than the others. All are very lean and care must be taken in the preparation so as to not over cook. If you are a well done person this is not your cup of tea. The Elk, Bison and Venison can all be found as farm raised. The Moose was given to me by a hunters from time to time and I always accept when offered. :p
Henry Drygas

·
Registered
22 Posts
$1000 Fine

I don't think that the money really does go to the disposal of the body. My tax dollars already go to pay for that. In Utah we have people who go around and pickup road kill all day. I should call up the state and ask them what the money goes to......

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you do call them, be prepared to be outraged at the answer. I'm under doctor's orders to not call state or federal government agencies to ask what happens to my money once they get ahold of it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts