Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a battery venting fan in the rear. I have never heard it run until yesterday. I took the car out of a very hot garage, and heard this fairly loud fan running in the rear passenger corner. Do people in hot climate hear this often? It ran only for about a minute or two.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hep said:
I know there is a battery venting fan in the rear. I have never heard it run until yesterday. I took the car out of a very hot garage, and heard this fairly loud fan running in the rear passenger corner. Do people in hot climate hear this often? It ran only for about a minute or two.
Here in SoCal, I've heard the fan come on maybe two or three times in the last year. It's loud, so if it came on, I'm sure I'd hear it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
dgstan said:
Here in SoCal, I've heard the fan come on maybe two or three times in the last year. It's loud, so if it came on, I'm sure I'd hear it.
Ditto! The first time it happened was the first time I used all the seat options to fit a very long vertical blind set in and I actually pulled over to make sure I hadn't blocked a vent or something (I hadn't).

It doesn't run for long, but you are definitely aware it is happening!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It's nice to know the buzzing wasn't inside my head. It wouldn't go well with the ringing in my ears. :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Astrowoman said:
Hep said:
Thanks! It's nice to know the buzzing wasn't inside my head. It wouldn't go well with the ringing in my ears. :)
Or the voices. It really clashes with those voices...
Thank God you know about the voices too! They keep telling me to buy GM! Maybe I need to go back on my meds. :shock:

·
Registered
393 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I haven't heard it run. Since it only ran for a minute or two, it shouldn't be a problem. I heard though that you guys are going through a scorcher now though.
I too, have never heard mine run. Come to think of it, I would have forgot there is a fan there.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I've heardit; it sounded like I hadn't rolled the RR window all the way up, sort of like loud tire or wind noise. It wasn't really hot outside, so I figure it either charged or discharged quickly for some reason and that heated it up internally.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
I have a new fan.
Well, tell 'em to join the Hep fan club! Have to be in it for a while before earning the t-shirt, but we might be able to scrounge up a beanie. Propeller optional. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
I had my Prius in 116-119F heat--at least that's what the range of temps were with the four cars we had driven up to Kings Canyon--and don't recall any fan noise.. hmm.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You wouldn't miss it. Sounds like the A/C on high, but coming from a different location.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sanny said:
Hep said:
I have a new fan.
Well, tell 'em to join the Hep fan club! Have to be in it for a while before earning the t-shirt, but we might be able to scrounge up a beanie. Propeller optional. :)
Did I forget to mention the dues?

·
Registered
199 Posts
My poor baby was sitting in the hot sun the other day (99) and that fan came on right away and really drained the battery down with it and the AC on. Car did not fair so well with such heat, lower than usual power getting up the hill (no other way to get back to my place) and all this. Back into the normal range today though...got to find her a tree to sit under when out.

Guess we are all having difficulty with so many hot days! I'm real sluggish myself :?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.