Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner with a few questions

Hi all,

I am a delighted new Prius owner. In perusing Prius info. I have a few questions that I bet some or all of you can answer:

-What should tire pressure be to optimize mileage?
-Do I really have to turn off SK if not using the car within a 48hr. period?
-Can I safely assume the recall does not apply to my 2 week old Prius?
-Is it true that mileage improves after about 1K on the odometer?

I'm averaging 44mpg but was hoping for more. I can see that staying at or below 70 mph, not running a/c, and driving like a granny (well not my grannies) would help. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
answers...

44 front, 42 rear. that's maximum. or 42/40, I haven't noticed any ride difference. Had been getting 44 MPG. Now at 6100 miles , I've 'learned' and broken in at 49 MPG, with several 30 minute sets of 60+! It's totally cool! Not sure about the 'recall' 40 D, just know that it's the tester equipment at the dealer that needs the update, but with your car there too, so error codes can communicate. Smart entry/start does emit a signal to talk to your remote, how much, I'm not sure. 2 days it'll be fine, 2 weeks...maybe turn it off. Enjoy the best car on the planet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mpg, check engine light, sk

Thanks to all for very helpful replies. I will check and likely increase the tire pressure.

Glad to know check engine light coming on in early mileage is not uncommon. I bought a brand new Civic in '90 and the alternater died in the first day of driving. I was beginning to think I jinxed new cars.

And the 44mpg is on the first full tank of gas (which after two weeks I'm still working on). I'm driving about 400 miles round trip this weekend - maybe it will start to go up.

We have a pkg #9 - love all the gadgets. It's not what we ordered but we're enjoying it a lot.

Sippy

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Your fuel economy will probably start to rise after a few thousand miles on the odometer. I think maybe my 12+hour roundtrip at 80+MPH may have made her work hard enough to speed up the break-in period. My worst mileage was less than 43 MPG, and my best has been 64.4 MPG (the latter was not a full tank, though).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes you CAN improve your gas mileage-- and yes, you do have to drive slower, coast more, and take your foot off the gas pedal- and watch the MPG chart on the right side of the Consumption Screen.You soon will learn what kind of driving translates in high MPG!
I LIKE TWO QUOTES FROM FELLOW PRIOUS OWNERS. (1) "You can get as involved as you want to as far as driving style goes. I personally use the MILEAGE INFO SCREEN as a sort of biofeedback station. I'm in no hurry so I can pamper the car and I get rewarded with higher MPG."
I ALWAYS USE THE SCREEN THAT SHOWS HOW MUCH POWER YOU ARE REGENERATING AND WHAT YOUR MPG ARE. I LEARN TO BE MUCH LIGHTER ON THE GAS PEDAL-- AND I AM REWARDED WITH GREAT MILEAGE.(2) ANOTHER QUOTE: "I have driven my Prius for 4500 miles and consistently get 50-52 mpgs. I have made no big adjustments to my driving style; I just watch out for downgrades and remove my foot as soon as possible from the accelerator to coast downhill, coast to red lights instead braking when close to the light, and accelerate moderately.
The EPA estimate for highway conditions is easy to reach or surpass; I don't drive enough in the city to determine if those 60 mpgs are as easy to obtain." LIKE ALL ESTIMATES ON ALL NEW CARS- they are not always realistic. I GET GREAT MILEAGE-- BUT I DO NOT GET 60 MPG -- EVEN WITH A LOT OF COASTING!!! LOVE THE 2004 PRIUS!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Becky.

I used the mileage info screen to learn "how" to drive efficiently. After a month I was able to squeeze 50 - 52 mpg.

Just moved from KY to NV. On the trip out, we averaged 50 mpg. Going through WY on I80 was interesting. Going up over mountains the best I could manage was 37 mpg - but going down we were able to attain 100mpg :D

Kinda evened things out.

Fred

·
Registered
49 Posts
My seaside pearl #9 got 44 mpg on the first and second tank. It is getting about 47 now. I have just over 1000 miles on it and have upgraded tires which are supposed to cost me 2 mpg. I have not yet convinced myself that the tires have any effect on my fuel economy. My colleagues with 04's have been averaging about the same with the stock tires. Seems to me that using better gas has had more impact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2004 Prius (Blue) 20,000 miles. I record mileage info meticulously, and have done so since acquiring the car last November 10.

At first I was getting about 49 mpg, now consistently getting 52-53 mpg.

It does make a difference how you drive. Not necessary to "baby" the car, in fact that can be counterproductive. In the beginning I would baby it up to 40 mph on level surface streets, but by that time the acceleration all in battery mode would have depleted the battery. Eventually I learned it is more efficient to accelrate normally (not jack-rabbit), using the gas, then (if the intended surface street is 40) accelerate to about 42 or 43 mph using gas, then take my foot off the accelerator, coast down to cruising speed of 40 until the ICE goes off, then continue on the battery. Maintaining speed is less demanding than accelerating; I can maintain 40 for several smooth, quiet miles.

Of course if I know I'm approaching a long downgrade, I can still baby it and not worry about running the battery down, as it will recharge on the ride down.

Doug

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I drove around with a lady friend in the passenger seat yesterday, and noticed that my tank average jumped up by a couple of MPG.

"Strange," I thought, but it got me to wondering if I really do drive any differently with somebody else in the car than I do when I'm by myself. And I realized that I probably do. I think maybe I'm in a subconscious "chauffer mode," driving with a slightly different mission; to provide a smooth and safe passage for my passenger, and not just an efficient trip for myself alone.

I will definitely need to explore this possibility further. If I find anything significant, I'll start a new topic.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A comment about the smark keyless entry: The manual says that if you won't be driving the car for a 2 week period, turn of the system. We went out of town recently for 5 days. When we got back , the car was just fine!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts