Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Prius tonight. I live in San Diego CA and have been waiting for almost 3 months to get the package my husband and I wanted. :D I'm very happy. I did however get stuck when I turned off the car, it wouldn't turn back on. I wasn't in the best neighborhood and it was about10:00 at night, This entire situation made me very nervous. I think I figured the problem out though, but I'm not sure. I used the valet parking method, and it seemed to start. Any suggestions? :?:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I remember the first couple of times, I would forget to press down the brake pedal before powering up. I haven't any problems since. It'll be second nature in no time. ;)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Were you getting an amber LED on the power button, even though you were pressing the brake? It has been doing that a few times to me lately.
Hang on Ig-On.

·
Registered
154 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Were you getting an amber LED on the power button, even though you were pressing the brake? It has been doing that a few times to me lately.
Hang on Ig-On.
No, I wasn't. But the "hand" break was not pressed that hard. It seems to me that it works well only when I press it very hard with my left foot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. :D I drove all around today with no issues. I think I'm gettin the hang of it. :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
ALoLA said:
I remember the first couple of times, I would forget to press down the brake pedal before powering up. I haven't any problems since. It'll be second nature in no time. ;)
This happened to my wife the first time she tried to start the Prius. (She had been in the back seat when the salesman gave us the demo, and hence didn't understand about holding the brake down.) It was dark and we were hungry and 45 miles from home. Now we laugh about it. Harsh, bitter laughter...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
dontcheff said:
DanMan32 said:
Hang on Ig-On.
No, I wasn't. But the "hand" break was not pressed that hard. It seems to me that it works well only when I press it very hard with my left foot.
I was responding to julieh's problem. What has the parking brake got to do with powering up the car?

·
Registered
919 Posts
braking new Prius

Same question from me. What's the purpose of the parking brake besides extra safety on hill parking? I didn't think it relates at all to starting the car. I've had my Prius for 2 weeks now and still have to mentally focus on the starting process. It is getting easier, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
parking brake

I also want to know what's the deal with the parking brake. I've had the car for 2 weeks and have yet to use the parking brake.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: parking brake

drtravel47 said:
I also want to know what's the deal with the parking brake. I've had the car for 2 weeks and have yet to use the parking brake.
I set it all the time.

Also,

I never eat at a place called Mom's.
I never answer when Ms Bear asks "do these jeans make me look fat?"
I always wash my hands after using the bathroom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a funny thing happen last night. I was showing off the car to my brother-in-law (isn't that fun???), and had him sit in the driver's seat while I stood next to him outside the car, fob in my purse. Told him to put his foot on the brake and boot up. Nothing. Come to find out, the darn car knew that the fob was outside of the car rather than inside, and it wouldn't start! I put my purse on the seat next to him, and all was right with the world. God, I love this thing!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I grew up and learned to drive in Florida. I didn't know that such a thing as a parking brake EXISTED until I took driver's Ed. When I took my driving test at 16 in the family car, all went well until the end of the road test. I stopped the car, put it in park, and turned the ignition off. The examiner glared at me. "Aren't you forgetting something?". "Oh. You want me to put on the parking brake. Um... I don't think this car has ever had the parking brake on, and I'm afraid it will stick." More glaring. I turn the car back on and do the process as required. I pass the test. It takes us 30 minutes to get the brake to release while driving home!

Since then, I've mostly driven manual transmission until the Prius. Now I set the thing automatically as a matter of course. Note: it loosens up and becomes easier to apply and release with time.

None of which has ANYTHING to do with the initial post. I'd guess not stepping down firmly enough on the brake (not the parking brake) while hitting "start".

Anyone else still fishing to pull the key out of the ignition on occasion when exiting the car and thinking about something else?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Your Avatar Image

Astrowoman said:
I grew up and learned to drive in Florida. I didn't know that such a thing as a parking brake EXISTED until I took driver's Ed. When I took my driving test at 16 in the family car, all went well until the end of the road test. I stopped the car, put it in park, and turned the ignition off. The examiner glared at me. "Aren't you forgetting something?". "Oh. You want me to put on the parking brake. Um... I don't think this car has ever had the parking brake on, and I'm afraid it will stick." More glaring. I turn the car back on and do the process as required. I pass the test. It takes us 30 minutes to get the brake to release while driving home!

Since then, I've mostly driven manual transmission until the Prius. Now I set the thing automatically as a matter of course. Note: it loosens up and becomes easier to apply and release with time.

Now I get it. So you are from FL ok that explains it AstroWoman, There are many,many "Manatis" in Florida aren't they classified as "Endagered"
specy ? Sorry for this off topic post but I couldn't help while looking at your avatar image of this nice mammal. !

Oh what a feeling to own a Toyota ( Hybrid )
None of which has ANYTHING to do with the initial post. I'd guess not stepping down firmly enough on the brake (not the parking brake) while hitting "start".

Anyone else still fishing to pull the key out of the ignition on occasion when exiting the car and thinking about something else?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Prius "hand break" is very soft, i.e., you have to press it hard so that it really has some effect. I wonder if that's only my Prius?

BTW, I recently read that inm the States , more than 90% of the cars have automatic transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts