Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow AM I get to pick mine up! I can't sit still. The dealer will have the Toyota Checklist ready for me when I get there so I get to keep a copy. A brand new 2005 White #6 awaits. I have to drive it 200 miles to get it home, so what should I be very careful NOT to do during this break-in period? Going to be fun to compare it to the 1999 Ford Contour I've babied for milage in the past to around 33 MPG (which my wife'll be driving back). I figure we'll just hit I65 north at 65 MPH and see what we get Smile Should I take a camera? Any advice and comments? Whoo!

:D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
seanmcp said:
Tomorrow AM I get to pick mine up! I can't sit still. ...Should I take a camera? Any advice and comments? Whoo!

:D
OF COURSE you should take your camera!! Absolutely! And a bottle of fancy sparkling water (or ginger ale) and two champagne glasses to toast the purchase. :)

YAY!! Congratulations, and welcome to the Prius family! :*

·
Registered
80 Posts
Be prepared

Be prepared for what "sounds" like an underpowered car trying to keep up. But watch the speedometer, because it keeps up quite well, and then some!

Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Take a soothing CD

Advice?

1. just drive it (and read as much as you can in these threads);

2. take a nice, soothing CD (if you keep
the speed down on the freeway).

The Prius is the fun car that keeps on funning. You'll enjoy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
one thing

Be sure to ask them to inflate the tires to 42 front/40 rear before you take it home. It helps the gas mileage tremendously.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
There have been a lot of posts about tire pressure here. As many for "high" as for normal. The book says 35/33 and the higher may get you a couple more miles per gallon but this car is assembled with clips instead of nuts and bolts. There have been a lot of complaints about rattles and I believe they are related to the higher tire pressures used. My dealer insists on setting my tires all at 32 on oil changes unless I remember to specify the 35/33. He says they do that to all their Toyota models at oil changes. I checked mine after my first oil change when I noticed a drop from 49 to 44MPG and found they had used 26. Went back to book figures and amazingly back came the "49." As a personal matter, I wouldn't go higher, at least until you have driven the car a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yay!

Okay, here's the scoop!

Neill Sandler Toyota in Murfreesboro and Shevetta Martin sold me the car. If you're even remotely in the area (I drove 225 miles to get mine), buy one from her. She did *everything* for me but drive me home :)

* White/Grey 2005 Package #6
* Had 13 miles on it when I picked it up (my last car had 13 on it when I got it, too. Weird?)
* Got the floor mats and cargo mat free
* Window security etching included
* Total price w/ everything above: $25,999
* 7/100,000/$0 Platinum warranty for $982.50

Drove it across the street to Subway and had lunch, just staring at it compared to my 1999 Ford Contour parked next to it (Wife had to drive that one home). Inside's about the same amount of room, but the car is smaller all around.

Got on I24, and immediately came to stop/start driving, and realized where the fire trucks we'd seen go by Subway went. A few miles on battery/stealth mode at 99.9 MPG and I was just sitting in the car laughing uncontrollably and playing with the Nav and voice recog system and setting my radio dials while other people are having FITS from sitting at a standstill.

Once we got past that poor burned up result of a car-fire, it was up to 45-55 MPH through construction zones, and the visibility as we zinged from lane to lane as the road switched was just fine. Learned how it's cruise worked, and I love it. Seems a lot more consistent than the one on my Ford.

Finally got onto I65 north and was able to set it to 70 MPH and just run it home. As soon as I got off the interstate, which is just a couple miles from home, it stealthed almost the whole way. Total trip milage ran 47.8 MPG, and I'm still over a half-tank. We have a lot of hills between Nashville and Louisville, and I did have to run it pretty hard on a few hills while semi's merged from the weigh-stations, etc, so my milage took some beating there. Pfft. 200+ Miles at almost 50 MPG at 5 over the speed limit and no feeling of being 'run over'. It has as much get-up-and-go as my Ford, so no feeling of loss there.

I have the pressure set at recommended 35/33 right now while the tires break in; it has the exact right amount of oil in it, which will get changed to Mobil 1 Synth at the first change; the fan on the lowest setting is plenty to keep a white car cool on a solidly sunny day when the temp is just over 70F at 3 PM. Once I get the tires worn in or swapped to another LRR, get the PSI up and the oil changed, we'll see what changes.

Got home and had to show all my friends. All are impressed ;)

Oh, the 1999 Contour (which I keep in good shape, and which has 80,500 miles on it after the trip today) did a very respectable 246 miles on 7.8 gallons at 31.5 MPG running maybe 75-80 MPH on the way there (I was in a hurry, and traffic was heading to the NASCAR Busch Race anyway, so trust me, I was *still* the slow one when we headed South). I love the Contour, but it's 6 years old, and a close family friend gets it now for what I'd have gotten at Dealer Trade in (She needs it).

Yay!

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long did you have to wait?

I'm starting to think about buying a new one.... (to upgrade our 2002 model). Just curious.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How long did you have to wait?

Wilma said:
I'm starting to think about buying a new one.... (to upgrade our 2002 model). Just curious.

Congratulations!
Well, I cheated. My local dealers said 4-8 months, averaging 6 right now based on their waiting lists. This matched what I knew from other local Prius owners. I don't like waiting once I've made up my mind. So, I then started calling in an ever-widening circle (even folks like Rickey in California and one of the Arlington, VA dealers who stock them regularly). Turns out, I got one fairly close to home. Neill Sandler is 3 hours south-southeast of me (I'm in Louisville, KY and they're just southeast of Nashville, TN), had a white 05 with the BC package in stock, and was willing to give me a good deal on it. Shevetta and I talked on the phone and bounced emails back and forth, and I gave her my CC over the phone to hold it. I could have gone down Tuesday to get it, but figured I'd better wait till Saturday when I could make the drive and stay sane.

So, I 'decided' last weekend I'd had enough of Ford turning their back on a long-time customer (The Escape Hybrid is NOT worth the $35K premium they want for it, and they weren't willing at any of three dealerships to work with me on that), and that the 'geek toy' I'd wanted since the first ones rolled off the lot should finally be mine. Talked w/ my wife, and set out on my quest first thing Monday.

Not a long affair like many here; hope that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
For Wilma

Well, I search inventory in our neck of the woods for a hobby (OK, so I like Salsa and have Silver).

Many dealers in our area list some new ones in inventory right now...whether they really have them and whether they will sell them at a decent price (like the MSRP listed), is a different question. Unfortunately, the dealer you bought from before is not one of them.

One thing you should know is that the value of your 2002 is holding up rather nicely, so you should bargain hard if you are trading in...or sell it privately.

Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
No kidding on the 2002 models. I'd thought they gave me a fairly decent trade-in value when I traded mine up for the 2005 model. When I went in a couple days later to bring the 2005 in for the "Touch of class" service, I saw my old 2002 advertised on the lot for $5.5k more than what they'd given me on trade-in value!

And...when I went to pick up my 2005 the next day, the old 2002 was gone off the lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lucky in Louisville, KY

I rolled into the local Toyota dealership to look at a Scion xb. As I was looking around the 2 xb's they had on the lot, the truck pulled in with a lone Prius sitting on it. It was exactly what I really wanted instead of an xb. Thinking it was probably going to someone on a waiting list, I didn't ask about it until much later in the day (after test-driving the aweful Scion xb and an OK Toyota Matrix). Later, I thought, "What the heck", and asked about the Prius. I drove off an hour later in it. 2005 Millenium Silver #6 with 2 miles on the ODO!! Hearing all the stories on priusonline, I guess I am one of the luckiest people around! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
paul16451 said:
Yeah...had I ordered the BC model, I'd have had to wait a month to get it. And paid a lot more, but thats another story.

Yes! I didn't have a lot of room to haggle either. But, when you want a hot car...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sheesh

I was told 6-8 months, and a price over MSRP by Oxmoor and Toyota of Louisville. Since I could go to Murfreesboro and get one same week under MSRP, they got my business, despite the drive :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
YES. I DIDN'T DO REAL WELL ON THE DEAL, BUT I AM USUALLY A CAR DEALERSHIP'S DREAM. CAN'T STAND THE PROCESS! :oops: BUT, I GOT WHAT I WANTED ANYWAY. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts