Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Silver option package #1 last night! I had originally ordered a Tideland Pearl Package 9 in the beginning of Nov. I was then told about 2-3 months. After reading more on the Toyota allocation system I went to a second dealer to order the same package. Thinking I would have twice the chance to get a car. About two weeks later the first dealer called an said it would be 1 year! The same day the second dealer said the a Package 9 would be 6 months or more, but if I changed to a package 6 t would be 1 to 2 months. I decided that I could be waiting up to six months an still would have to take whatever the dealer offered. So I start calling all the dealers in NJ. I found one that had a silver coming in and no one on his list wanted it. So I said yes. I was very happy with the decision. Gary (from Glen Toyota in Fairlawn), was very honest with me and keep me updated. I waited less then two weeks from the time I said yes to last night when I pick it up it up. After owning it for one day, I love it! I had no surprises at the dealer. I paid exactly what they first said (MSRP). No, extra options were installed. I did not get hassled for using a loan other then Toyota's. Gary took his time to show me everything in the car. He even gave my wife a light up Prius pen. When I got home the second dealer left a message that there is a red car if I want it. I don't know what package. I guess I'll find out when I call to get my deposit back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. veggivet, I really only wanted the NAV in package #9. So I bought a Garmin Ique. It's a GPS Palm with auto routing. Not quite the same but cheaper ($450 vs $1700) and it works fine. There is room on the dash to the left of for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alternate view

My wife (her car) is the thrilled owner of a 2004 Salsa Red Prius with AM(7) as of 11 December. {All references to "we" or "our" in this post should be interpreted as "she" or "her"} :lol:

We put our color and option preference in to Nye Frontier Toyota in Anchorage the first week of November. Our salesman was Jose O. Rolon and we were very satisfied with his attention and company representation. We refined our color choices after seeing the Tideland Pearl (too gray) and Super White (would disappear in all this snow we have this year) and restricted our selection to only Salsa Red.

We were not able to drive a demonstration model at Nye because all the incoming were sold before they had even been preped after their voyages. I finally was able to get a ride from Big Island Toyota in Hawaii while there for a week's R&R. Another great salesman who after we had talked about what I had learned from this forum and http://www.priuschat.com, just tossed me the SESS fob and told me "Don't be gone too long."

We drove the Honda Civic Hybrid to guage its technology and in respect for the great service we have received from Continential Honda on our 1999 Honda CRV and our salesman "Big Ron". The Honda Hybrid has good pickup and ride but overall it is a Civic with an alternated power plant which has to restart every time you have to move 3 feet to close the gap between you and the car directly in front as you inch forward. No technology here that impressed us like the Prius.

We had the opportunity to purchase a white w/AM about 3 weeks after request but decided to wait for color choice- anything less than AM was a definite no sale. (Haven't even seen a BC or BG here as navigation is not really needed here and no wireless carrier has Bluetooth capability).

The deal was for MSRP and the sales manager had no problem. Many Alaska dealers attach an additional sticker with "extras" include a usually $1995 additional dealer markup charge. We have never paid this attempt to pad their bottom line and before have always sought to eat into the MSRP. Was willing to pay the "manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price" this time because of the short supply and the time crunch to qualify for the maximum tax deduction this year.

We are looking forward to driving our Prius many year and will be scouring all chat rooms for experience with this battery (the only scary part of future use).

The Prius replaced a 1988 Camry LE with 103,000 miles which we contributed to a charity rather than try to hassle over trade-in.

Thanks everyone for the lively exchange of information and open (and sometimes funny) discussions.

"I might get to drive it, someday"

Raymond

·
Registered
56 Posts
I finally got the call from my dealer with the VIN number of my Prius! At least I know that the car has been built and will be arriving shortly. My wait is almost over. Who knew? :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm kind of surprised by the whole concept of a wait list! I went to local dealer today for test drive and fell in love with the car. I was told the packages they had coming in were #4 and #7. I wanted a blue #7 and one was coming tomorrow (monday). So for MSRP I bought my car and was told I could pick it up tuesday.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tell us where you live Walkingtall so I can move there, temporarily. I ordered in early October and turned one down in mid-November because it did not have the Pkg 9 I want. They promised me I wouldn't go to the bottom of the list because so many others would willingly step in. Looks like I went to the bottom anyway because we're in January and I'm still waiting. "We grow too soon old and too late smart." :cry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Grubbing, gouging dealers...the wait list, "deposits" that aren't....

I got something else....

Hint: it gets even better mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
best as I can tell, the package 9 is the major holdup. My dealer told me he had customers waitng since october for that one. I lucked out and went looking for that exact car at the exact time that one was coming in!
I'm now driving my new Prius proudly around the WashingtonDC area (bought the car in Silver Spring Maryland)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts