Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and the mileage is fine. Why do I bring this up? Well, I was asked the other day, 'does your mileage suffer if you drive the car like a 'normal' car?' and I had to say, 'no; not unless you consider the fact I get about 50 MPG while driving my Prius like a 'normal' car a suffering.'

I suppose that if I did all the tricks I have learned here, I could average around 60 MPG, but I find, in my daily city driving, that with rapid accelerations, and having to move quickly in and out of traffic, and with the A/C on almost all the time, I still get much better mileage with this car then any 'normal' car I have ever driven.

Well, I thought I would share. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm glad you shared. I'm sure that your local geography and climate have a lot to do with how good your economy is. I think it is very reasonable that you can get excellent economy by driving normally, however those of us in northern climes tend to suffer quite a bit this time of year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had the same experience (more or less). I drive it like I've always driven cars and consistently get 45mpg calculated. The computer is a little more optomistic and says I'm averaging around 48mpg. Minny only has 3k miles on her so I'm thinking the mpg can only go up from here :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
My observation after 6 months with the car; the kind of traffic conditions you drive in make a huge difference.

I get the worst mileage (>40) on my local streets. San Pedro is hilly, and there is either a stop sign or a signal on almost every corner. All the starting and stopping keeps the mileage low.

On the open highway I get ~45. My preferred cruise speed is 78 mph, traffic permitting. Even if I have to go over Tejon Pass (4400 ft.) I get about 45 mpg round trip.

What the car loves is heavy traffic on the freeway. If I drove downtown and back at rush hour every day I'd probably get 60 mpg.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
San_Carlos_Jeff said:
I've had the same experience (more or less). I drive it like I've always driven cars and consistently get 45mpg calculated. The computer is a little more optomistic and says I'm averaging around 48mpg. Minny only has 3k miles on her so I'm thinking the mpg can only go up from here :D
And for myself, I am happy with anything above 30 MPG. Heck, my xB only got around 26 or so...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stairman said:
I get the worst mileage (>40) on my local streets. San Pedro is hilly, and there is either a stop sign or a signal on almost every corner. All the starting and stopping keeps the mileage low.
Interesting observation. When I was deciding on whether a Prius would be the right choice for a paper route I do, I was told here that with all the stopping and starting, a Prius wouldn't be the best choice.

I almost bought into that advice, until, for grins and giggles, I rented a Prius for two days. On day 1, I averaged 53 MPG, and on day two I got 63 MPG.

Stopping and starting is exactly the type of driving that gets the most out of a Prius. I never go over 35 MPH on the route and I got great gas mileage.

I'm glad I went with my gut and rented the Prius. Now, I'm about 3 weeks away from a brand new '06.

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts