Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Levis were washed with Smart Key in the pocket. :oops: I quickly removed the battery and let the key sit on the window sill to dry for 48 hours. Reassembled and waa-laa! It works :D

P.S. I just read on another post that the replacement cost is $200 plus $50 for recoding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ken Cemo said:
Levis were washed with Smart Key in the pocket. :oops: I quickly removed the battery and let the key sit on the window sill to dry for 48 hours. Reassembled and waa-laa! It works :D

P.S. I just read on another post that the replacement cost is $200 plus $50 for recoding.
I've been through the key washing bit a couple of times now. Unlike you, I also used a dryer set to HOT to dry it out instead of waiting 48 hours on a window sill. :?

I changed out the battery and coated the rubber o-ring with some silicon grease just in case I did it again....and I have. :cry: Seems pretty indestructible --- so far.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My husband has washed AND dried 20 dollar bills, pennies, pens (yes!) papers, and countless other objects. So many blue stained pockets, damaged shirts, handkerchiefs, we can't even count. He has my extra key fob, but so far that's been saved. If you guys carried purses this wouldn't be a problem. :lol:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi evander...

...but, if we fellas carried purses (some do, by the way), we would lose our natural "filing system." You know... Billfold in left rear pocket, Prius fob in left front pocket, Change in right front pocket, etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carrying a purse, we'd have to "dig around" to find specific things, and we could be subject to losing everything is our purse was stolen or lost.

Vive la difference.!!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Other than the battery, there is nothing that would be damaged... if the circuit is not powered. Those circuit boards are washed in a manner not unlike your clothes washer in the course of production anyway.

What makes you lucky is that the battery didn't short and explode, and that components were not damaged by the short circuits that no doubt resulted. Letting it dry (after taking out the battery) is all you can do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I fear if I ever had to carry a purse, I'd have so much stuff in it that it that I may need an even larger purse - or a hand truck just to move it.

Stuff is important: electric screwdriver, various chargers for electronic goodies, electronic goodies themseleves, remote controls, laptop, beer, cooler for beer, etc. Thing would be a monster! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize the Prius key was water resistant! Another attribute to owning a Prius. 8)

Couldn't they make other electronic devices (mainly cell phones) less prone to shorting out when they come in contact with water? :idea:

·
Registered
919 Posts
G. McCurdy said:
I fear if I ever had to carry a purse, I'd have so much stuff in it that it that I may need an even larger purse - or a hand truck just to move it.

Stuff is important: electric screwdriver, various chargers for electronic goodies, electronic goodies themseleves, remote controls, laptop, beer, cooler for beer, etc. Thing would be a monster! :D
You guys carry all that in your pockets :?: :?: So much for only we women having large hips. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Vive les cargo pants! 'Can't take a guy with a "man purse" seriously...

Washing machines should come with some sort of detection system that sounds an alarm when "Foreign objects" are detected within pants pockets....ink pens, keys, cell phones, hardware....thought the machine was falling apart until I figured that one out...

...glad your Prius fob is okay!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts