Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relative new owner...about a month. In a earlier thread, I saw someone report that using Shell gas resulted in better gas mileage. I am a natural born skeptic......and thought '' yeah right". I was noticing a bit of drop in gas mileage and dropped by the dealer to see if I was doing something wrong...thought I was driving as usual but still was getting a bit less mileage... the dealer technician asked me what kind of gas. I told him regular unleaded from...and named two sources and he told me to use Shell.. This weekend convinced me that there is merit in that advice. I had occasion to make a 200 mile round trip twice. The first was made on the tank with the 'non' shell gas and I reset the mileage calculataor and my average was 45.6. the tank was near empty for the second trip and filled up..10 gal.. with Shell. Made the identical trip driving about the same, traffic permitting and all external factors the same..time of day, temp etc.. and my average for the trip was 52.3

Odd...does anyone know why??? wonder it this would hold true for non hybrids?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm going to try this theory next week
remember that you need to do this over
several tanks to really know for sure.
you may not have filled-up all the way
the second time around or maybe a bladder thing.
and a small change in driving condition or
maybe the way you were driving (even imperceptible)
can make a big change over a short period.

either way i'll anything once and at
1.17$ a liter a couple extra mpg's sound good

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just regular 87 Shell fuel eh?

Hmm, the reason why I'm reluctant to try is because we've had a bad experience with Shell back in the late 90s. Using Shell, our range per tank actually dropped! (Don't know about the mileage). But then again, now Shell and Chevron are rated as top-tier for their fuels. I already topped up yesterday so I guess I"ll have to wait.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Drivetrain break-in and tire break-in can explain these "new owner" mpg improvements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should have clarified...I am not new owner...but new to the forum..I have 16k plus on the car and hardly think it is still in break you would not go from breaking in to being broke in...in 2 days! now on second tank and getting sme results.... interested in other owners experience

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have been wondering about the effect of gasoline brand on mileage. We now have WaWa here in Tidewater Virginia. On the same corner is an Exxon. Both of these stations are 10-20 cents per gallon cheaper than other stations. After several tanks of Exxon, I began to notice a drop in mileage. I just filled up today at a Chevron station. Will monitor mileage. May need to find a Shell station and try it. DOD

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have noticed improved mpg on Shell Gas myself. I have a brother who owns a Toyota Tundra and is using the 91 octane and also gets better miles then other stations.

I dont think there is any difference between 91 and 87 proof other then a larger gas bill. But my brother wont listen to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is a very intresting post.

I can actually tell when i get a bad batch of gas. the MPG goes down from 50 to around 45 on really "bad" gas and about 48 on average.

From time to time i get a good batch and not only can i notice the MPG climb to 50 and above but you notice more power from the ICE.

So far Citgo in my area has the worst GAS.

Hess is average and Exxon is usually pretty good.

Mobil is average too. Which seems wierdcause isnt exxon and mobile the same company ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really hate to bust your bubbles but I worked for 10 years at a oil terminal where we received gas and oil from tankers and barges into storage tanks and the storage tanks supplied the loading racks where all the tanker trucks filled up. WE had getty mobil, shell, gulf, BP and others.
87 octain gas is the same and anyone of the gas companys can and does buy it on a spot market. also at the oil terminal I worked at mobil,BP,getty and independants all pulled from the same loading rack from the same tank.
There might be better batches of gas coming out of different refineries but that gas can become any of the brands I mentioned above. I expect when the refineries make 87 octaine it might be 87.1 or 87.9
I have been reading alot on the net about the prius and MPG's and read the 85 octaine(I think it is sold at in mountains) gives you better milage.
I think the lower the octain the more energy or somthing like that.

Anyways I am only letting you know, don't get hung up on gas brands..... it is abunch of BULL ! The only differance in gas stations is the price.
Brand loyality is how the major gas companys make their money.

One thing to watch out for , is don't get gas if a delivery truck is dumping fuel or if you see the truck just pulling out from dumping his load.
( you have all the water and dirt stired up from the bottom on the tank)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Could it be a property of the detergent additives that the pump says is in the gas?

·
Registered
236 Posts
SYNCMASTER said:
Anyways I am only letting you know, don't get hung up on gas brands..... it is abunch of BULL ! The only differance in gas stations is the price. Brand loyality is how the major gas companys make their money.
I'm not sure that is the all encompasing truth, or this may just be a concidental thing... In my wife's Rav4, we took a few months and tried to figure out what the best place to get gas was in this new town we moved to. Over about a 5,500 mile "project" were we used the same gas station for a minimum of 1,000 miles (To round out driving habits, weather conditions, city v. highway, etc...)... which was a little over 4 full tanks. We found the best gas milage was gotten from BP by far (25.6MPG), whereas the worst was from Shell (21.2MPG). We also checked Marathon (23.7), Speedway(23.1), and Kroger (22.8) and they finished in that order.

I have yet to do this with the Prius, compare gas stations. I do know that I tend to have more miles per tank when using generic stations, like "Fuel America" or "Swifty" or "Site" when I fill-up there and not at the major names (Shell, BP, Marathon, etc...).

Just thought I'd share my own findings.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There's 'good' gas and 'bad' gas. Bad to me is under 40MPG. One load at a given station can be good, another bad. Citgo hasn't been bad lately, but I never buy at one station anymore to to a bad tankful.

Shell was never all that bad, and I drove 80 miles at 52MPG once with a Shell fillup into an already warm car. I don't recall anything spectacular since that one trip, but Shell is out of my way and not as cheap as some places I drive by often. Wal-Mart is usually good...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It's easy to fool one's self. Driving normally I get 45 MPG. If I'm very careful I can get 50 MPG on the same daily route. One can easily *unconsciously* make a 2 MPG difference just from expectation, for example after buying gas from a different dealer or pouring a couple ounces of nail polish remover into the tank. A 10'F change in outside air temp can make that much difference again if you don't adjust tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That reminds me, i have to fill the tank today.

Any bets on price?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think I can shed some light on the inexplicable boost in mileage you may find. I used to design gas stations and their pumping systems and in doing so I became very aware of their suppliers. I can tell you without a doubt 9 times out of 10 you will get your gas from the same source reguardless of the brand. the only difference would be an additive but that difference would be negligable. What would cause differences in mileage could be:
1) the age of the gas... older gas looses some of it's power and thus will give you less mileage
2) the age of the station... an older station will have more contaminants in their tank thus decreasing it's power

so if you use a newer station that gets alot of traffic you are assured to get fresh gas from cleaner tanks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Gas

Also, some states switch fuel blends seasonally, like here in Arizona. We use oxygenated fuel (with MTBE) part of the year to reduce smog. Can't remember whether that is during the hot weather or the cold, but I have heard that the mileage is different during these periods.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's the station, not the gas

iggy1iggy said:
I think I can shed some light on the inexplicable boost in mileage you may find. I used to design gas stations and their pumping systems and in doing so I became very aware of their suppliers. I can tell you without a doubt 9 times out of 10 you will get your gas from the same source reguardless of the brand. the only difference would be an additive but that difference would be negligable. What would cause differences in mileage could be:
1) the age of the gas... older gas looses some of it's power and thus will give you less mileage
2) the age of the station... an older station will have more contaminants in their tank thus decreasing it's power

so if you use a newer station that gets alot of traffic you are assured to get fresh gas from cleaner tanks.
Maybe the reason that Shell apparently gave better MPG is because their pumps were better-calibrated than the El Cheapo station's were.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SYNCMASTER said:
I really hate to bust your bubbles but I worked for 10 years at a oil terminal where we received gas and oil from tankers and barges into storage tanks and the storage tanks supplied the loading racks where all the tanker trucks filled up. WE had getty mobil, shell, gulf, BP and others.
I agree syncmaster.

But I had thought each Company uses its own "Additives" such as they "Advertise" on TV.

I usually get 52-54 mpg and keep track on Excel program since the day I bought the car. Since buying Shells gas for the last 4 months I have been averaging 56-58.

Right now I am getting 61 mpg on this tank for 236 miles.

NOW... I have also SLOWED my driving speed down. nothing over 55 mph, this will kill MPG if much faster. When in town I dont go over the 42 mph limit for when your ICE will take over for the power. Keep A/C no cooler then 75 degrees.

My tires have always been inflated to 48 psi. Yes, some of you may think that is too much. But they have been like that since 43 months ago. My tire wear is normal and I can stand the bumpy ride for better MPG.

But I have seen a noticable difference in Shell Gas. I have seen this in other Gas Stations in the past. It will come and go to another station. I wont fall in love with any one place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree regarding the product being pretty much the same stuff regardless of what brand of gas you're getting.

That said, I am partial to Shell, too. My uncle, a mechanic, drilled into my brain that Shell was the best because they added the least amount of water - which helps prevent rusting throughout your fuel system (according to the hypothesis). Whether that has anything to do with fuel efficiency, or even if this old wives tale is true, I have no idea.

I've used pretty much only Shell in my 05 Prius (generally at one of two stations, one rather new, one pretty old) for all 5,000 miles, and haven't noticed any real differences when I use something different...so I have to believe I could have achieved the same range of results using any brand of fuel as I do using Shell. Shell is just the most convenient to me.

Smitty - do you have a good Excell template to track mpg results?

·
Registered
47 Posts
mr.fadedglory said:
Smitty - do you have a good Excell template to track mpg results?
It is one I made myself. However there are several programs listed on Yahoo to download. Right now that is all I know about.

There is also another Forum called priuschat.com Im not a member, yet, but looks like it might have a lot of interesting things.

Yahoo for sure has programs. Not sure if this link will work but will point you in the right area. The programs are listed under the "files" group.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... s/messages

1 - 20 of 21 Posts