Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting outside at lunch time Monday when a Prius pulled into a parking spot in front of me. I asked her how long it needed to be plugged in to charge. Her eyes rolled like this... :roll:

:twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Hep said:
I was sitting outside at lunch time Monday when a Prius pulled into a parking spot in front of me. I asked her how long it needed to be plugged in to charge. Her eyes rolled like this... :roll:

:twisted:
My insurance agent told me a few months ago she was looking for a new car, I said, what about a hybrid. She says, I don't want to have to plug it in all the time. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
I hope you replied that he/she wouldn't have to plug it in all the time... only when it's parked :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
melgish said:
I hope you replied that he/she wouldn't have to plug it in all the time... only when it's parked :)
Just think of the MPG you could get with a long enough cord! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
jimb said:
Hep said:
I was sitting outside at lunch time Monday when a Prius pulled into a parking spot in front of me. I asked her how long it needed to be plugged in to charge. Her eyes rolled like this... :roll:

:twisted:
My insurance agent told me a few months ago she was looking for a new car, I said, what about a hybrid. She says, I don't want to have to plug it in all the time. :shock:
And I would like to visit the gas station less often, or never. Ten seconds a day to plug in a car or twenty minutes a week to fill it up. Why is the second one preferable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
SkipHuffman said:
jimb said:
Hep said:
I was sitting outside at lunch time Monday when a Prius pulled into a parking spot in front of me. I asked her how long it needed to be plugged in to charge. Her eyes rolled like this... :roll:

:twisted:
My insurance agent told me a few months ago she was looking for a new car, I said, what about a hybrid. She says, I don't want to have to plug it in all the time. :shock:
And I would like to visit the gas station less often, or never. Ten seconds a day to plug in a car or twenty minutes a week to fill it up. Why is the second one preferable?
Because pure electric cars don't cut the mustard, I agree with my agent on not wanting to plug in a car. Where are these plugs? You think oil companies are bad, just let the electric companies call the shots, they would be worse imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
jimb said:
Because pure electric cars don't cut the mustard, I agree with my agent on not wanting to plug in a car. Where are these plugs? You think oil companies are bad, just let the electric companies call the shots, they would be worse imo.
Hey... I used to watch the Electric Company when I was a kid. They wouldn't harm anyone.

"Pri" ... "us" ... "Prius"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
john1701a said:
My silly reply to those that ask about how far you can drive is... "it depends on the length of the cord".
Potentially forever if you went in small circles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
melgish said:
jimb said:
Because pure electric cars don't cut the mustard, I agree with my agent on not wanting to plug in a car. Where are these plugs? You think oil companies are bad, just let the electric companies call the shots, they would be worse imo.
Hey... I used to watch the Electric Company when I was a kid. They wouldn't harm anyone.

"Pri" ... "us" ... "Prius"
I used to own the Electric Company. That along with Water Works was way better than the Reading Railroad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
jimb said:
SkipHuffman said:
jimb said:
Hep said:
I was sitting outside at lunch time Monday when a Prius pulled into a parking spot in front of me. I asked her how long it needed to be plugged in to charge. Her eyes rolled like this... :roll:

:twisted:
My insurance agent told me a few months ago she was looking for a new car, I said, what about a hybrid. She says, I don't want to have to plug it in all the time. :shock:
And I would like to visit the gas station less often, or never. Ten seconds a day to plug in a car or twenty minutes a week to fill it up. Why is the second one preferable?
Because pure electric cars don't cut the mustard, I agree with my agent on not wanting to plug in a car. Where are these plugs? You think oil companies are bad, just let the electric companies call the shots, they would be worse imo.
Where is the plug? Are you really asking that question? The plug is on the side of my house. I use it to plug in my lawn mower (yes, I have an electric) or a work light. If I need another one, I call an electrican and he puts one in, or I put it in myself with parts from home depot for about $20. What is the big deal with the plug?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
john1701a said:
My silly reply to those that ask about how far you can drive is... "it depends on the length of the cord".
Potentially forever if you went in small circles.
Nonsense, eventually the cord would be as twisted as the messages in this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
SkipHuffman said:
Where is the plug? Are you really asking that question? The plug is on the side of my house. I use it to plug in my lawn mower (yes, I have an electric) or a work light. If I need another one, I call an electrican and he puts one in, or I put it in myself with parts from home depot for about $20. What is the big deal with the plug?
Yes, as in when you go somewhere. Duh! what is the range on the all electric car, do you have a reading comprehension problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hyperion said:
Heck, I "plug" mine in every night. There's this little socket located left front of bumper behind little circular cover. It's probably in the owners manual "somewhere?"
Prius owners everywhere are popping off their "secret circles" and looking for the plug. And I thought I was being mean teasing an owner!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
melgish said:
Hep said:
john1701a said:
My silly reply to those that ask about how far you can drive is... "it depends on the length of the cord".
Potentially forever if you went in small circles.
Nonsense, eventually the cord would be as twisted as the messages in this thread.
And I thought Prius people were high-tech... Just one word: wireless!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
jimb said:
Yes, as in when you go somewhere. Duh! what is the range on the all electric car, do you have a reading comprehension problem?
For a home conversion, forty to sixty miles. Longer than most people drive in a typical day.

If your commute is longer than half of that, ask your employeer for a special parking place with an electric outlet. Most if not all states will give the facility owner a significant tax break for putting up an outlet and a sign, more than the minimal cost of this process.

Going on a long trip? Wrong vehicle, rent something from Avis.

Then again, we are talking about Prius here. We don't have to worry about running out of charge, because as soon as our battery runs low our ICE kicks in and powers it up. Grid charging would just allow us to further minimize our direct fuel consumption. And if you have some form of green energy, reduce pollution as well.

Note again that the forty to sixty number is for home conversions. Toyota or Honda could do a much better job than Larry and Bubba down the street, even if Larry and Bubba work for NASA.

You want to see what CAN be done with electics? Look at the TZero. http://www.acpropulsion.com/

And that is still basically a hobbyist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
SkipHuffman said:
For a home conversion, forty to sixty miles. Longer than most people drive in a typical day.

If your commute is longer than half of that, ask your employeer for a special parking place with an electric outlet. Most if not all states will give the facility owner a significant tax break for putting up an outlet and a sign, more than the minimal cost of this process.
I drive 56 miles one way, my employer is an evil man(self employed 8) )

I was hoping to get 43 or 45 mpg and on my 1st trip I hit the reset button and checked it upon arrival to destination. 53.Xmpg. I don't expect to get that mileage every time but I do now expect to exceed my 43 to 45mpg anticipated mpg

This car exceeds my expectations. :) The GPS is a blast, never had one before, it's faster than I imagined it would be, it handles better than I thought it would too.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top