Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over some road debris the other day, and today I noticed that the plastic "under-frame" is cracked and sagging down.

Anyone know how tough / expensive it will be to replace this? I plan on duct-taping it up for my hurricane-run, but when we get back I want to get it fixed right.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It shouldn't be too expensive because it is just a piece of plastic. Also, it is VERY easy to remove. Just a couple of screws. Maybe you should try some hot glue or super glue on there. It should hold.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I taped it up with duct-tape for now, and when we get back I'll see about getting it replaced. Until then, it looks like it should hold

·
Registered
215 Posts
Brian said:
It shouldn't be too expensive because it is just a piece of plastic. Also, it is VERY easy to remove. Just a couple of screws. Maybe you should try some hot glue or super glue on there. It should hold.
Silly Brian... in the world of auto repairs, broken plastic is like saying to a jeweler "I lost the 2 carat diamond that goes in this setting, you can just pop a replacement in, right?"

DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Light bulbs for the third brake light in my old camaro... not even as big as my little toe... $30 each.

Size and or material it's made out of rarely means JACK in auto land ;)

Now you know...

...and knowing is half the battle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Brian said:
Brad, how is this relevant?
Brian wrote:
It shouldn't be too expensive because it is just a piece of plastic. Also, it is VERY easy to remove
You said it's just plastic so it shouldn't be expensive.

I was stating that what it's made out of is typically irrelevant. Whether or not it's easy to do is typically irrelevant also.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the Duct Tape has survived 500 miles of evacutation... Maybe I'll just call it fixed :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I killed my roll of duct tape taping up the windows before splitting town.

On the humorous side.... How is Duct Tape like "The Force"?

They both have a light side...
..a dark side..
..and they hold the universe together!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BIF said:
I killed my roll of duct tape taping up the windows before splitting town.
You do know that taping up the windows is almost a complete waste of tape. Especially if you plan to evacuate the building. ??

Taping only serves to hold the pieces together in the event of breakage. While this may be useful if you are *in* the room when the window explodes inward, the roof will still blow off the top of your house. It does nothing to reduce or prevent structural damage.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got an estimate for the part... $89.00. I think I'll stick with the duct tape for another 5000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
prices

I recently ran over a construction steel plate in the road (you know the ones they use to cover large holes). Well I don’t know exactly how it happened but it totally destroyed the underside of my car. The total bill $4,851.07:

Itemized
Exhaust Pipe Assembly 1491.15
Gasket Exhaust P 38.50
Gasket Exhaust P 16.75????what
Tank S/A, Fuel 212.96
Exhaust Pipe Assembly 219.69
Disc Wheel 295.62
Exhaust Manifold 158.37
Gasket Exhaust M 18.10
Beam Assembly Rear axel 1042.61

Labor 928.00
Parts 3493.74
4 Wheel Alignments 139.90

“Yes, it sucks. I fought the city for about a month trying to get them to pay, but they kept giving me the run around. So I had to call it into insurance. :(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: prices

skidz said:
“Yes, it sucks. I fought the city for about a month trying to get them to pay, but they kept giving me the run around. So I had to call it into insurance. :(
Give your insurance company the # of the city people. If they recover their money, you might get your deductable back, and more importantly they won't count it against you the next time they're thinking about raising your rates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What a pain! Rolled forward slightly on a parking lot curb and later heard a scraping sound when braking. Looked at that flap of plastic hanging down and couldn't believe it.
Anyway found that two 1/4 inch bolts about an inch long could be used instead of the destroyed special fasteners :oops: . There must have been a better way to engineer those shrouds on the underside.
Arnie :oops:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Duct tape still holding for me, but do yourself a favor and use black tape not white :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts