Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Ed, and I'm a(n) MPG junkie.

Today, after I thought my driving for the day was done, I did the math (with my insanely detailed spreadsheet,) and saw that my mileage for the day was exactly 60.0MPG over 64 miles. This was the first time I had 60MPG for the day. :D

Then my wife asked me to go to the video store to swap a scratched disc. I weighed my options, and decided to drive the second car rather than ruin my 60MPG day. :?

Then, even worse, I realized that while I was gone, my wife was going to have to pick up my stepson from soccer practice. I knew she would drive the Prius, that she would be going further, and she would make the mileage decrease even more. :oops:

So I drove it; even though she theoretically had more need, just to avoid having her drive the mileage even lower than if I drove it. :shock:

I proceeded to the video store in 'pulse and glide' mode, using stealth to accelerate as much as possible, keeping to 10 under the sometimes-40MPH limit. I left the car 'on', and ran in and exchanged it quickly, to avoid having the car run the ICE on startup at all. I then drove a longer, but less hilly, route home to keep the car in stealth mode as long as possible. :roll:

I am a(n) MPG junkie, and I need help. :twisted:

P.S. I ended the day with the same number on my meter as before I drove to the video store, 57.6MPG, at least maintaining my highest-ever tank average at the 250+ mile mark; but my mileage for the day did drop to 58.8. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ed,
I'm also an MPG Junkie... today was my first 60+ day too! (of course, I drove home after refilling/resetting the mpg, and my afternoon commute is somewhat downhill)

Here are several things I've learned on priusonline w/r/t increasing that ever precious MPG:

1) Tire inflation... maintain the golden 40/38 (or whatever is the best). Some other folks mention getting new tires, but I'm gonna ride my integrity stock tires out for at least another 10-12K mi (im currently at 2500mi)

2) Synthetic Oil... most of the high MPGer's here seem to indicate using synthetic. I use synthetic with my old Acura, and it loves it. Not too expensive, either.

3) Driving techniques... pulse/glide, which you already seem to have down. Also going downhill, I use (N)eutral, as this is the most efficient mode of movement for the car, and usually uphill, I've charged the battery, so no need for regenerative braking (actually I slip back into (D)rive as a braking method of sorts, and resort to the pedal only when I really need to slow down)

4) Road conditions... traffic seems to help seems if there's slow&go, I'm in golf cart mode (unless its uphill... that sux0rs). Also driving behind 18wheelers, etc.

5) The secret weapon... EV switch. Not during the drive, generally, but to avoid losing that great MPG when you're just going out to get pizza/errands, and want to coast in the slow lane. Standard use: EV mode to get out of the garage and onto the main thoroughfare, where you let the ICE warmup normally.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ehurtley said:
I am a(n) MPG junkie, and I need help.
YOU are fine, it's your family that has the problem (...and the other drivers in front of you stopping at red lights ...and the video store for being too close to your house ...and the weather for not staying at a constant 72 degrees ...and for the city designers for putting those pesky turns and hills on the road ...and your shoes for being too bulky to properly properly maintain stealth mode ...and the...) :oops:

Yes, I'm a MPG junkie as well, and I need help.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oh polar bear, where are you? These people need help!

I'm fine, just fine, no addiction here at all. Oh, sure, I try to leave the AC off when the temperature is moderate, but that's not excessive, right? RIGHT???

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just got a block heater and I live in Western Washington. Just to keep my baby warm at night. I deny that I have a problem. It just cost 68 Canadian and with all those funny colors and everything that makes it free. Right? I just wish that I would have got all that "summer" gas in 5 gal cans to use during the winter. I hate this winter gas! Everone else has a problem not me! Nope not me.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Maybe if you fill the garage with summer air, you'll get better mileage in winter? I wonder if that would help, though...

·
Registered
157 Posts
winter gas

Come to think of it....when do they switch to winter gas here in the
Northeast?

I had the same experience as Sanny....every tank since late May was well over 50 mpg.

Then, last week, it was chilly, and I had to make a trip in very rainy, windy weather. That tank came in at about 48. The current tank,
and chilly mornings with SO using the heat, and we are at 47.

I wouldn't think of disabling the heat, though. That would be wrong. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You people and your addictions! We need to sit down over a hot coffee and talk about your problem.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Hep said:
You people and your addictions! We need to sit down over a hot coffee and talk about your problem.
No Hep, Martini! Martini!
Well sure, now! It was 8:45 AM when I posted about the coffee. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
157 Posts
You mean there's something wrong with my having a Kahlua
martini with breakfast? :?: :shock:

·
Registered
111 Posts
PA (prius Anon)

I realized I was an MPG junkie when I was almost home and saw that the MPG showed less than usual, so I took a longish slow drive that I didn't need to in order to get the MPG back up to where I wanted it to be. Is there help for me? I am even on a diet (much needed) so that my lighter weight will improve my MPG...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: PA (prius Anon)

leebek said:
I realized I was an MPG junkie when I was almost home and saw that the MPG showed less than usual, so I took a longish slow drive that I didn't need to in order to get the MPG back up to where I wanted it to be. Is there help for me? I am even on a diet (much needed) so that my lighter weight will improve my MPG...
I've done that, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
MPG Junky

The are plenty of indicators of a MPG junky such as tire pressure over the maximum rating, relatives with heat stroke, a rearview mirror that is "R" rated, always backing into the garage, etc.

But the worst sign of a MPG junky is sliding through stop signs and yellow lights, or going under lights just as they turn red. All so that you don't have to stop and lose gas mileage.

Of course, I've never caught myself doing this. :oops:

There is a 12 step program for mileage junkies!

http://priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... 8145b39211

Be safe!

:D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Astrowoman said:
No Hep, Martini! Martini!
I thought about adopting one or two, the smaller ones...but I am afraid the cubs would think it was take out. 8)

juuust joking...

·
Registered
669 Posts
An04Prius said:
I thought about adopting one or two, the smaller ones...but I am afraid the cubs would think it was take out. 8)
That's grizzly! Are you sure you are a polar bear?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts