Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a new hybrid Camry in the parking lot where I work. I figured these were really rare, so I was surprised to see one locally, so soon.

Has anyone else seen one of them? Are they actually available, or are they like Prius's and on a waiting list?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I haven't seen any yet. Apparently, they're already on sale in the US but up here, we have to wait til June.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any Hybrid Camry owners out there lurking? I'd be curious how you like the car, and whether you upgraded from a Prius or are a first-time hybrid owner.

I also have an older Camry that is about due for replacement, and wonder if I need a second Prius or whether the Camry is bigger and better.

Our 2002 Prius has really been a dependable car, but it is a little small on long trips. Our kids are grown, but it would be crowded if we had a couple of teenagers or more luggage. So, I don't know whether it is worth the decreased mpg to get a little larger car.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
New Camry Hybrid

Well, I just picked up my Camry HY and I'm really impressed. Very quiet and smooth on the Highway. I had to drive it from Kansas back to Colorado and against a stiff headwind I averaged 39.4 MPG....and I was going 70-80mph. In town I'm getting 43.4 so far.

I'm impressed that the EPA estimates, for me at least, are actually darn close. It might help that I had a 2005 Prius so I understand how to drive for best mileage. I'll update more down the road if you wish.

So far it is a keeper. I'll have to submit the pro's and cons' when compared to the Prius down the road.

newfdude

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
wow, that Camry is nice. I've had 2 camry in the past, and both were terrific. Friend is looking to replace a 13 year old Honda Accord, and has been liking my Prius (of course). Test drove the Camry, and ooooeeee! Neat machine. The one we drove was package 2 in mid-atlantic (sunroof, 50 state emission, no nav), so no mfd, but the faux tac was kinda neat. It shows fuel efficiency instead of rpm.

:) fingers crossed, maybe he'll get one. Hard not to push push him to!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Phoenix said:
Are there any Hybrid Camry owners out there lurking? I'd be curious how you like the car, and whether you upgraded from a Prius or are a first-time hybrid owner.

Any opinions?
I have both cars; '05 Prius and now the '07 Camry.

Camry is smoother, and bigger in the trunk. However, if you need more overall space, the Prius wins, since you can put the seat all the way down.

Camry is more 'car' like when it comes the dash, and shifter, but I like the digital speedo in the Prius, and I like the shifter in the Prius more.

Camry gets worse mileage, since it's heavier, but has a bigger tank, and also sticks closer to the EPA then the Prius. I just got back from a long road trip, and averaged 39.9 on the highway, mostly at 65 MPH. The EPA says to expect 38, so that is better.

The GPS display (the MFD), is better in the Camry. The XM display is also better (more letters), but on the Prius, you can stay with the 'text' on the XM without having to reset it every time you start the car.

More storage compartments in the Prius. Faster pick up in the Camry.

Better interior lighting in the Prius. Less in the Camry, which is odd, I found.

Door locks in the Camry are auto. Are not in the Prius. The window in the Prius, on the drivers door, goes auto up and down, while in the Camry, only auto down, which I also found odd.

Better JBL stereo in the Camry. More bass, but I have a feeling that is due to the trunk.

Oh, better Blue Tooth in the Camry. You can input numbers manually, and also if you do the famous override (which works with the '07 Camry), you can also dial out on the phone from the screen, something the '05 Prius, even with the override, you can't do.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I believe the Camry BT and display is closer to the 2006 Prius, since they did improve the display quite a bit in the 2006.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does the hybrid system in the Camry work like in the Prius? In other words, does it have a synergy drive with the battery first priority and with regenerative energy collection on slowing down and braking?

·
Registered
393 Posts
rhackenb said:
Does the hybrid system in the Camry work like in the Prius? In other words, does it have a synergy drive with the battery first priority and with regenerative energy collection on slowing down and braking?
I think, and Dan can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the system is just the same as the Prius, with the advantage for the Camry being disc brakes all around. I notice Green happens a LOT faster in the Camry then the Prius.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I heard there's rear regenerative braking but that seems to be removed from the final specifications?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I don't think Toyota will use anything but Synergy Drive for the power plant. They may add additional motors, and may change the PSD arrangement some (as they did for the Lexus), but still the same concept. It works too well to tamper with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts