Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am fairly new to this thing. I have a #6 in Blue and have logged about 1500 miles. Yesterday I drove for the first time in the Mountains and on a short trip (14 miles) up a canyon, I ran the Hybrid battery all the way down to a single bar. I stopped and allowed the engine to recharge for about 5 minutes. I took off again and promptly ran the battery down again.

Is there a way to drive Prius in the mountains without need for stopping every 10 miles?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Hybrid Battery Run Down to Zero in Mountain Driving - Av

pelly said:
HI, I am fairly new to this thing. I have a #6 in Blue and have logged about 1500 miles. Yesterday I drove for the first time in the Mountains and on a short trip (14 miles) up a canyon, I ran the Hybrid battery all the way down to a single bar. I stopped and allowed the engine to recharge for about 5 minutes. I took off again and promptly ran the battery down again.

Is there a way to drive Prius in the mountains without need for stopping every 10 miles?

Thanks
No.. you don't have to do that. The battery meter (State of Charge - SOC) only shows 20% to 80% of the battery's SOC. So, even when there is NO BARS left, the battery has about 20% left. The computer will never let it go below that so don't get obsessive about trying to baby the battery - the computer will do that for you. Just drive!!! :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
you would only need to pull over to "charge" the hybrid battery on such an uphill climb if you found that you didn't have enough power for your liking using the gasoline engine by itself.

If you've managed to lower the charge of the hybrid battery enough (steep enough climb for long enough, heavily loaded car and high enough speed), you'll be driving on the gasoline engine only (which will be both powering you up the mountain and recharging the hybrid battery), which you may find to be too slow for your tastes (but most people report that they can still pass the big trucks as needed, as you really don't need to be going up that fast...) You may not have the acceleration that you're used to, though.

As long as you stay away from extended use in N or IG-ON, you don't have to worry about the battery icon on the Energy Monitor. It's all eye-candy, as it isn't fully representative of what's going on (not representative of the actual SOC, just the "useful" SOC), and you cannot really do much to affect it (the car will take care of itself and handle recharging as needed by running the gasoline engine more or not using the hybrid battery as often).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, Thanks for all the input

Thanks everyone for the input. It makes sense really, I'm just not used to the MFD and all its nuances just yet. Time will tell. I was worried that I would become stranded -

Again, thanks.

MP

·
Registered
145 Posts
don't worry about it

I second the other's posts on this subject. Don't worry about it.

Apparently, according to http://privatenrg.com/#Full_SOC, it seems that even at 1 purple bar, there's 40-44% charge left. I've definitely gotten it down there while stuck in traffic in a parking structure, and the ICE will kick in.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I thought the bottomed out SOC was 40%, not 20%, but I haven't found any official info on this.

Anyway, the engine is capable of producing 76HP at 5000 RPM. At low SOC, the engine may appear to be racing, but it will get you there.

Looking at the engine displacement, my Saturn SL2 had about the same.

EDIT: 1999 SL2 had 100 HP, with 1.9L displacement. Prius has 1.5L.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Re: cool, Thanks for all the input

Thanks everyone for the input. It makes sense really, I'm just not used to the MFD and all its nuances just yet. Time will tell. I was worried that I would become stranded -

Again, thanks.

MP
.Just remember MRV's post. "The MFD is only "eye candy" and not meant in any way to be used to operate the Prius. All you need with this car are the instruments provided and the large group of "idiot lights" furnished!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I thought the bottomed out SOC was 40%, not 20%, but I haven't found any official info on this.
Yes, the measured amounts differ between the NHW11 and the NHW20 as to what their displayed bottom point is in comparison to the actual battery state of charge. There's nothing officially printed about it to my knowledge, just an approximate hand-waving based on various users' measured results.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Hybrid Battery Run Down to Zero in Mountain Driving - Av

pelly said:
You realize that by doing that you are nullifying the one and only one reason for having a hybrid instead of an all electric vehicle. The whole point of having a hybrid is that when you run low on battery you are not dead on the raod but rather the gas engine will take over and you and continue moving while the battery is being charged at the same time! So please dont' worry .. just drive it like a normal car.. it is a normal car.. despite all the funky stuff you read here on the forum!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pelly, I live in the mountains, and my experience with my 2006 on long decents (30 minutes or more) and uphills is just keep driving. The electric motor charge will take care of itself. I have also pleasantly noticed a very satisfactory horse power, or ability to take long climbs with the Prius. The engine revs louder, but due to the CVT, I think there always seems to be sufficient torque and power available to climb up even the steepest inclines, whether its my driveway, or going up the long inclines of Mount Mitchell or Grandfather Mountain.

So, long and short of it, just drive the car. dont pull over to recharge, the car will take care of that itself. Most of all, enjoy the view!!! the mountains look even better from the window of a PZEV like the Prius!! :D :D

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
As yauman has said. You will never have a problem driving a Prius anywhere in the world that you can see another car driving. Turn off the mfd,(it is really only a conversation piece) and drive your car normally.
It may at times feel as though you are driving an old VW beetle uphill in high gear but it will surely get you to the top. When the day comes that it won't, is the day you should consider "dumping it." Until then, consider it to be just a normal economy car and treat it as such!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Report from the field: I've been in the Mammoth Lakes area of California for the last four days and have crossed Tioga Pass (just under 10,000 feet above sea level) three times with myself and two passengers in the car ... plus a trip up to the Mosquito Flat trailhead at the top of Rock Creek, 10,250 feet above sea level. The battery indicator goes to zero bars on the long ascents and goes all green on the long descents, but if you weren't looking at that indicator you wouldn't notice anything unusual. I used cruise control to ascend Tioga Pass from both sides and to ascend Rock Creek, and the car does just fine. I've been averaging about 45 mpg.

I should add: there are Priuses all over the place in this area. There were at least two at the Mosquito Flat trailhead in addition to mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts